0.99999999....... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:59:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  0.99999999....... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does it equal 1?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: 0.99999999.......  (Read 20596 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« on: November 10, 2009, 03:32:25 AM »

This is religion and philosophy? Mathematics is not a religion, but I'm sure everyone is impressed at what you learned in school today.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:37 AM »

It's certainly very close to 1, and if I was using it in some mathematical equation and didn't need to be too precise, I'd put it down as 1, but in the end though 0.9999999... ≈ 1, at the same time 0.9999999... ≠ 1 either.

It's infinitely close to 1, however, making it mathematically equal.

Quite frankly I fail to see how it's equal to 1, indeed it's very close, but just by looking at it you can see that it's not exactly equal.

Fun isn't it? Smiley

f(x) = 1 / x², a lot of people would say, never touches the x-axis, but only gets closer and closer to it.

It does, though, in theory. Under the same principle as the original question here, the function is considered to be infinitely long, and thus it also becomes infinitely close to the x-axis Smiley

Still, 0.9999999... is not equal to 1.  Tongue

(1/3)=0.333333333....

(2/3)=0.666666666....

(3/3)=0.999999999....

Gotta wonder whether that excellent public school education you kept telling me about is to blame for an 18-year-old being ignorant of a basic mathematical fact...
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »

Epic math fail. Three divided by three is one. Ridiculous to suggest that three thirds is anything but one...srsly...
Yes, your post is an "Epic math fail".
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:02:25 PM »

It's certainly very close to 1, and if I was using it in some mathematical equation and didn't need to be too precise, I'd put it down as 1, but in the end though 0.9999999... ≈ 1, at the same time 0.9999999... ≠ 1 either.

Quite frankly I fail to see how it's equal to 1, indeed it's very close, but just by looking at it you can see that it's not exactly equal.

Fun isn't it? Smiley

f(x) = 1 / x², a lot of people would say, never touches the x-axis, but only gets closer and closer to it.

It does, though, in theory. Under the same principle as the original question here, the function is considered to be infinitely long, and thus it also becomes infinitely close to the x-axis Smiley

It is though Smiley

What's the difference between 0.9 and 1?
What's the difference between 0.99 and 1?
What's the difference between 0.999999999999 and 1?

If you truly assume an infinite number of 9s behind the decimal point....there can't be any difference between the two numbers.

To claim that the two numbers are not equal, you would have to assume a finite number of 9s behind the decimal point. But even 0.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 (and a million more 9s) is not equal to "0.99....".

I do not dispute that 0.9999999... is indeed extremely close to one, but so say that it equals one make absolutely no sense whatsoever (but when has mathematics ever done that).  The difference will indeed be very (understatement) small, incalculable in fact, but no matter how much I look at it and think about it, it still strikes me as less than 1.  That said, if I don't need to be too precise when displaying the results of a calculation, I'll just treat it as one all the same (considering that when rounded you get 1), but I'll never be able to view it as equal to one though, that is, exactly equal.  I will look into this further.

Fun isn't it? Smiley

(1/3)=0.333333333....

(2/3)=0.666666666....

(3/3)=0.999999999....

Gotta wonder whether that excellent public school education you kept telling me about is to blame for an 18-year-old being ignorant of a basic mathematical fact...

Being a dick again?  You don't have a proper argument against public schooling so you resort to insulting those who support it.  Above, I'm having a quiet debate with Franzl, and though he may not agree with me on the point at hand, at least he's not acting like a git over it.  Besides, your description of 1 being equal 0.99999... as mathematical fact isn't quite true, considering that mathematics is not a "closed book" or so to speak, if anything it's closer to a mathematical theory- commonly accepted and is backed up by proof and evidence, but still open to debate and amendment pending the surfacing of any proof/evidence in favour or to the contrary.

Anyway, tell me, why do you act like an obnoxious arsehole towards people who have differing opinions to you?  Come back when you have a credible response outside of calling everyone who disagrees with you "brainwashed statist zombie sheeple".  I'm open to discussing things but no personal insults, and you've just gone made them part of your initial response.  I've personally had enough of your egotism, and that "holier than thou" attitude of yours.
You're the one who claimed to be the poster boy of public school education and said I was somehow "jealous" of your public schooling. And here you are arguing against basic mathematics you should have learned when you were ten years old.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies