Wednesday morning Presidential announcement on McCrystal request
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:59:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wednesday morning Presidential announcement on McCrystal request
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wednesday morning Presidential announcement on McCrystal request  (Read 1769 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:24:42 AM »

I have been advised of the strong possibility that the White House will finally issue a decision on the request of gen. McCrystal for additional forces in Afghanistan.

I am told to expect it Wednesday because:

1.) Dithering can only go on for so long before it becomes a Saturday Night Live skit, and
2.) the White House will need to make some news to divert the press from discussion of the election results.

I am told that rather than the 40,000 or more request of McCrystal, he should expect approval of approximately 20,000.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:26:09 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that a "wednesday morning presidential announcement" sounds a lot like "monday morning quarterbacking"?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that a "wednesday morning presidential announcement" sounds a lot like "monday morning quarterbacking"?

Sorry, but, you seem to have a somewhat imperfect understanding of the American terminology.

Monday morning quarterbacking means to  criticize or suggest alternative courses of action from a position of hindsight after the event in question!

In the situation I have been advised may happen, the Obama administration may (this coming Wednesday) seek to divert attention from the results of this coming Tuesdays' results with the announcement.

Sort of like the case of drug dealer seeking to divert a drug-sniffing dog from finding his stash by trying to get the dog to 'fetch the stick' rather than track down the scent of illegal narcotics.

Who knows, the Obama certified media just might fall for the stunt.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 06:48:16 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So do you think that big government is good when it comes to the issue of drugs? What else do you think big government is good for?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:58:58 AM »

I have been advised of the strong possibility that the White House will finally issue a decision on the request of gen. McCrystal for additional forces in Afghanistan.

I am told to expect it Wednesday because:

1.) Dithering can only go on for so long before it becomes a Saturday Night Live skit, and
2.) the White House will need to make some news to divert the press from discussion of the election results.

I am told that rather than the 40,000 or more request of McCrystal, he should expect approval of approximately 20,000.

Don't fret too much Liz.
We got your point.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:39:13 AM »

Sorry, but, you seem to have a somewhat imperfect understanding of the American terminology.

Monday morning quarterbacking means to  criticize or suggest alternative courses of action from a position of hindsight after the event in question!
While that is, indeed, sort of what McCrystal is doing (and giving catastrophically bad advice, too), it's not what I meant.

I was just reminded of the phrase by your wording. No deeper meaning intended. Smiley
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 07:50:26 AM »

While that is, indeed, sort of what McCrystal is doing (and giving catastrophically bad advice, too), it's not what I meant.

I was just reminded of the phrase by your wording. No deeper meaning intended. Smiley

While I'll agree that Afghanistan is one place you don't want to be (when there aren't any ferengi available, the Afghans kill each other), as the Brits and Russians can tell you.

As bad as adopting the McCrystal proposal may be, the idiotic response of Obama to add more targets (troops), but not enough to be effective, is even worse.

Obama appears to believe that cutting a baby in half was really wise (but then, he is on record as supporting post birth 'abortion,' i.e. infanticide).

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »

So the White House gave you a heads up CARL? 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 08:24:18 AM »

Please reread.

I did NOT identify my source, nor will I.

You just assumed.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »

Please reread.

I did NOT identify my source, nor will I.

You just assumed.

My source is Bernie the Bartender........he says 50/50 chance.  I hope your source is as reliable.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:58:31 PM »

My source is Bernie the Bartender........he says 50/50 chance.  I hope your source is as reliable.

Here is CARL's source from within DOD.

I believe he is the guy who planned the Iraq invasion.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS

White House: Afghan troop decision within weeks
By LARA JAKES, Associated Press Writer Lara Jakes, Associated Press Writer
16 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Top Obama administration officials pledged Sunday to work with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, despite continuing doubts about his credibility that could have been eased had he won a runoff election against his top challenger, who dropped out citing concerns of fraud.

The decision Sunday by former Afghan Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah to quit the runoff, less than a week before it was set to happen, creates yet another headache for the White House as it struggles to draw up a new battle plan for the eight-year Afghanistan war — including whether to send tens of thousands more U.S. troops to fight.

"We are going to deal with the government that is there," senior Obama adviser David Axelrod said. "And obviously there are issues we need to discuss, such as reducing the high level of corruption. These are issues we'll take up with President Karzai."

Axelrod said Obama would announce a war strategy "within weeks." A senior U.S. official told The Associated Press that Obama has still not yet decided what to do, and it remains unclear whether he will decide before he goes to Asia on Nov. 11.

The official said a Karzai victory would have given the sitting Afghan president more legitimacy in the wake of widespread charges of fraud during the initial election in August, in which he collected 48 percent of the vote. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to speak more frankly about Obama's decision-making process.

Still, Karzai's re-election was all but universally expected among U.S. officials who have been planning for weeks on how to help his government move forward.

"Karzai was going to win anyway. So what now?" Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., said Sunday in an AP interview from Dubai as he headed back to the United States after three days in Afghanistan.

Had a runoff occurred, "that would make me think that he's more credible," said Hunter, a Marine veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. "But we can't force Abdullah to run. Let's get past that and say, 'Karzai, step up.'"

It was still not clear Sunday whether a runoff election would be held anyway, but an announcement canceling it was expected as early as Monday.

In a statement, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton praised Abdullah and said, "It is now a matter for the Afghan authorities to decide on a way ahead that brings this electoral process to a conclusion in line with the Afghan constitution."

For months, the Obama administration has been grappling with whether to continue targeting the Taliban with more U.S. forces in an increasingly deadly war in Afghanistan, or to focus on eliminating al-Qaida and other terrorists with unmanned spy planes in Pakistan.

About 68,000 American troops already have been ordered to report to Afghanistan by the end of the year. The top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, wants the Pentagon to send him an additional 40,000 troops to prevent the Taliban from letting al-Qaida once again use Afghanistan as a haven — as it was in the days leading up to the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The White House has signaled it will probably send more forces, but fewer than what McChrystal wants. The senior U.S. official said Sunday that Obama's national security team is trying to define a "sufficiency standard" — sending a sufficient number of U.S. troops to provide a sufficient level of security and allow sufficient growth of governance and economic development to stabilize Afghanistan over the next three to five years.

Abdullah's withdrawal, in effect, handed Karzai an uncontested win that puts Obama "in a difficult position," said Karin von Hippel, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

"We need a credible partner to make things happen," said von Hippel, who was still planning to head to Afghanistan on Monday to serve as an election observer should the Nov. 7 vote be held. "It's possible that Karzai can be a credible partner, but he really hasn't been in the last few years. And he needs to change the way he governs to become that."

Hunter and Sen. Joe Lieberman, the Connecticut independent, called anew for Obama to heed McChrystal's request for additional forces. "It's time to send more help," Lieberman said.

Once a Democrat, the hawkish Lieberman said the Obama administration needs to start working with Karzai, whom he praised.

"I think it's time for us to stop beating up on President Karzai and start building up President Karzai and his government to be the government we need," Lieberman said. "Because they're not the enemy. The enemy is the Taliban."

Valerie Jarrett, another senior White House adviser, said Abdullah's withdrawal would not "complicate" Obama's strategy decision. She did not mention Karzai specifically.

"We're going to work with the leader of the Afghan government and hopefully that's going to improve the state of conditions for the people in Afghanistan, and also help us as we try to bring this war to a close," Jarrett said.

Axelrod and Lieberman spoke on CBS' "Face the Nation," and Jarrett appeared on ABC's "This Week."
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »

Of course, so as not to affect the elections.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So do you think that big government is good when it comes to the issue of drugs? What else do you think big government is good for?

No.  I just provided that as an illustration of someone interested in creating a diversion,
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »

Here is CARL's source from within DOD.

I believe he is the guy who planned the Iraq invasion.

You seem to believe a lot of things (which simply aren't true).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »

Since your source is wrong why not delete this thread?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »

First, a decision has yet to be announced.

Second, lets see what happens on Wednesday morning (or are you now claiming to have some kind of time machine).

Third, the White House leaked that it will probably be sending more troops to Afghanistan, but not in the number McCrystal requested (as my source noted).

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »

Second, lets see what happens on Wednesday morning (or are you now claiming to have some kind of time machine).

Third, the White House leaked that it will probably be sending more troops to Afghanistan, but not in the number McCrystal requested (as my source noted).

I'll wait, but I'm not the one who said WEEKS on Sunday.  The Administration did.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 01:35:28 AM »

I'll wait, but I'm not the one who said WEEKS on Sunday.  The Administration did.

You should read the quote you provided more carefully.

Axlerod said "within weeks."  To me that means more than a day and less than a month.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »

You should read the quote you provided more carefully.

Axlerod said "within weeks."  To me that means more than a day and less than a month.

You conveniently left off the bolded sentence right after that.......but I'm not surprised.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »

BUMP
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 08:33:46 AM »

'nother bump.  apparently it'll be 40k...but this report has already been denied by the white house -

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/09/world/main5592551.shtml?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »

Bernie tells me it will be tomorrow. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

If true, any support that I had left for Obama will essentially shrivel up and die.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies