Should every prisoner have the right to have their DNA tested....... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:02:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should every prisoner have the right to have their DNA tested....... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: to try and prove their innocence when they were convicted before DNA testing was used?
Yes - Government funded.

Yes - No Government Money.

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Should every prisoner have the right to have their DNA tested.......  (Read 2587 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 11, 2009, 01:02:11 AM »

Does anybody have any idea what percent of inmates could be found innocent using DNA?  I'm guessing it's well below 50%.  It's not like the cops needed DNA to put a coke mule away.  I say test all of 'em that can be (and want to be tested) and release all that are innocent.  Then check their DNA against any applicable unsolved cases where DNA would be useful.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:38:51 AM »

Does anybody have any idea what percent of inmates could be found innocent using DNA?  I'm guessing it's well below 50%.  It's not like the cops needed DNA to put a coke mule away.  I say test all of 'em that can be (and want to be tested) and release all that are innocent.  Then check their DNA against any applicable unsolved cases where DNA would be useful.

I guess I should have been clearer. DNA testing should only be done in cases where DNA evidence would actually prove something. So maybe it should be looked at from a case to case basis and if DNA evidence could possibly overturn the verdict, it should be done free of cost to the prisoner.
agreed
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »

Certainly.  And if .0001% of those are innocent and can be found innocent with DNA, then it will be well worth the how ever many millions it will cost the state.

..and yes, I'm still a libertarian.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »

Surely the cost of these DNA tests of prisoners is vastly smaller than the cost of keeping innocent people in prison for god knows how long a period of time.
It would have to be.

Secondary question:Should the DNA data of the prisoners that "opt in" to this potential innocence program* be checked against the unsolved crime registry?

I say it should be.  While I think protecting the innocent is more important than punishing the guilty, I think punishing the guilty is something we don't do hard enough when we know there is guilt.  There is no reason at all that repeat violent offenders should be allowed to walk around while a dude slinging $40 baggies of pot at a Community College rots his best years away sharing a bunk with Herbert the Pervert.

*I'm assuming we'd give the prisoners a chance to "opt out" of this to protect their civil rights, although a good argument could sway me here I think
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies