Gimme your best guess on Ft. Hood......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:02:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gimme your best guess on Ft. Hood......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Choose
Terrorism
Wacko with a gun
Something else (specify)
Allah Akbar
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Gimme your best guess on Ft. Hood......  (Read 1487 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »

Discuss.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »

Although he was a wacko with a gun, his islamic extremism cannot be downplayed. I think a variety of factors may be involved. It seems like he was an intensely religious guy and got a lot of flack for that amongst his peers in the army. And I think it went beyond just a little ribbing. He felt that the US was going to war against islam, something not believed by the majority of pro-war folks imho. Maybe he believed that because he was part crazy, and part hearing statements from troops about fighting the "hajis". He then went on to make several vitriolic statements against the wars and even talked about it in presentations. The Army for whatever reason then wanted to deploy him to those wars he railed against. Doesn't make sense. This guy should have been counseled before and certainly have been given CO status if not stripped  of his security clearance altogether.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:35:35 PM »

Terrorism
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »

all of the above
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:41:45 PM »

Just some guy with access to weapons who went psychopathic, and happened to have had contact with terrorist-affiliated individuals.  But he acted alone, on his own initiative with no prompting from any of his contacts.  I can't prove this, but I would not be surprised if this is what they find. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:03:58 AM »

Wacko with a gun/Allah Akbar
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 02:20:39 AM »

Ever think that maybe he snapped, and did the whole "terrorist" thing out of his insanity, rather than sincere religious motivation?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:44:24 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 04:17:23 AM »

US Military.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »

Ever think that maybe he snapped, and did the whole "terrorist" thing out of his insanity, rather than sincere religious motivation?

Yes, it's possible, sure.   We don't know, but honestly I'm glad the guy is alive (for now) so maybe we can find out.....all cards are on the table right now.

Maybe memphis had it right when he said "all of the above".

I quit reading stories on this because it's all "sources" and "reports" and bullsh**t......like the President said, let's not jump to conclusions but lets get the facts.

And don't think there won't be blame laid on Bushie's front door since most of the investigation of this guy prior to the shooting occurred under 43's watch.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »

No matter what would have been the intellectual mechanisms that led him to do that, as far as today he appears as a guy who decided alone to do that, who decided alone to "make the Jihad" no matter whether this is true, this is the image it gives. And I think by this, this guy opened a new page of the "international Jihad" that could inspire other individuals.

What's going on really s**ks, actually...
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »

Stampever
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »

Wacko with a gun.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:42:27 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/american_muslims_to_fort

Normally, The Onion is satire.
MSG
MSG@LUC
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 02:32:37 AM »

When we look at why this happen one must step back from the ultimate outcome and look at the causation.  Sadly we also have to look at the people who are trying to define this act and their motives behind the way we define this horrendous act. 

This man was clearly an unstable person whose actions were deplorable.  But why did he think we as a country are out to get him and his beliefs.  Well we have to look at the second part of the question. Now am i trying to excuse his actions hell no.  But, if we treat the war on terror as a war on Muslims than we will reap what we sow.  Look at the language that the people commenting on this tragedy are using.  people like sean hannity saw this was caused by our political correctness and that the Muslim faith is inherently a one of violence.  Well, mr hannity you are wrong once again.  This was caused by mental instability and the hatred that people like you spew against a normal good people who like your clan have radicals that will react not only poorly but horrifically. If we continue to declare a war against Islam and not a war against those who fundamentally disagree with the freedom and equality that we cherish than we will have backlashes like this.  Does this mean this is terrorism i actually agree its terrorism but its not terrorism due to our freedoms or whatever oly north derives it to be.  But from a reaction to the inability to deal with a monolithic power heralding them to be the epitome of evil.  terrorism has always been an act of the weak against the powerful this is more the cause of this which is why its terrorism than some connection to radical group who planned this ala 9/11. Terrorism comes in all forms but can not be defined simplistically.  So to all my Right wing friends stop trying to make political hay out of this and look at what really caused this.  When you do you will find that we have to fix things here at home as much as we do abroad to stop future attacks like this from happening.

Just my rant but i serious sick of hearing the sh**t being spouted off about how being afraid to call a Muslim a radical is the reason this happened. Instead of looking at why this guy radicalized. Things dont just happen they happen for reasons.  Lets find out these reason so we can actually be safe not pretend were safe.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:56 AM »

The guy couldn't get laid so he spent all his free time whacking it to extremist sermons.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 01:58:06 PM »

Clearly Terrorism. The man was in a sleeper cell.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »

When we look at why this happen one must step back from the ultimate outcome and look at the causation.  Sadly we also have to look at the people who are trying to define this act and their motives behind the way we define this horrendous act. 

This man was clearly an unstable person whose actions were deplorable.  But why did he think we as a country are out to get him and his beliefs.  Well we have to look at the second part of the question. Now am i trying to excuse his actions hell no.  But, if we treat the war on terror as a war on Muslims than we will reap what we sow.  Look at the language that the people commenting on this tragedy are using.  people like sean hannity saw this was caused by our political correctness and that the Muslim faith is inherently a one of violence.  Well, mr hannity you are wrong once again.  This was caused by mental instability and the hatred that people like you spew against a normal good people who like your clan have radicals that will react not only poorly but horrifically. If we continue to declare a war against Islam and not a war against those who fundamentally disagree with the freedom and equality that we cherish than we will have backlashes like this.  Does this mean this is terrorism i actually agree its terrorism but its not terrorism due to our freedoms or whatever oly north derives it to be.  But from a reaction to the inability to deal with a monolithic power heralding them to be the epitome of evil.  terrorism has always been an act of the weak against the powerful this is more the cause of this which is why its terrorism than some connection to radical group who planned this ala 9/11. Terrorism comes in all forms but can not be defined simplistically.  So to all my Right wing friends stop trying to make political hay out of this and look at what really caused this.  When you do you will find that we have to fix things here at home as much as we do abroad to stop future attacks like this from happening.

Just my rant but i serious sick of hearing the sh**t being spouted off about how being afraid to call a Muslim a radical is the reason this happened. Instead of looking at why this guy radicalized. Things dont just happen they happen for reasons.  Lets find out these reason so we can actually be safe not pretend were safe.

Welcome to the Forum!
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »

Muslim.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States