2012: Biden/Landrieu vs. Romney/Thune
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012: Biden/Landrieu vs. Romney/Thune
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012: Biden/Landrieu vs. Romney/Thune  (Read 1017 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »
« edited: November 26, 2009, 05:35:54 PM by SoIA NiK »

Ok, might not be very plausible, but here it goes:

After suceeding in creating a health care reform bill, albeit weathered down, Barack Obama begins to think of his re-election camapign. In the Summer of 2010, President Obama signs immigration reform, a second landmark of his administration. However, he is losing popularity, mostly due to agitators on the Right Wing, perceived international weakness, and a slow recovery. In the 2010 elections, the Republicans are able to win back twenty-five house seats, four senate seats, and six governorships. While not enough to take back the Congress, Republican leadership would have a reason to grin. The Iraq War is dying down, but the War in Afghanistan is still raging, despite a large number of troops arriving. Muhammad Omar is dead. The situation there has improved however.

In the summer of 2011, President Obama makes a stop in California, a presidential visit. In California, a deranged far-right Republican shoots and kills the President. President Joseph Biden takes the oath of office amongst a deeply divided nation. He selects veteran congressman Dick Gephardt to be his Vice President.

In 2012, with progress in Afghanistan and a slowly recovering economy, the Republicans nominate Mitt Romney and John Thune. The Democrats re-nominate Joe Biden and Dick Gephardt. How does the election go. What are Biden's approval numbers? You decide. Discuss with maps, too.

EDIT: Mary Landrieu instead of Dick Gephardt, a respectable moderate and the first woman VP. Dick Gephardt is getting too old, and I made a mistake.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »

My vote would easily be for Romney because Biden is a snake.  However...

In 2012, with progress in Afghanistan and a slowly recovering economy

Those conditions would get Biden elected in his own right.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

In that situation (which we all hope never comes to pass), I would hope that Biden would have the foresight to pick someone other than Dick Gephardt.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »

Biden need do little more than to operate in the name of the martyred President to have a high approval rating -- probably in the vicinity of 55% -- at election time. That's good for an electoral blowout. Biden wins a bunch of the states that Obama lost in 2008.

That's not to say that Joe Biden would be even an average President.   
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »

In that situation (which we all hope never comes to pass), I would hope that Biden would have the foresight to pick someone other than Dick Gephardt.

Gephardt would be a reasonable pick. He wouldn't be controversial, is qualified for the job, and was a skilled in the house.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »

Biden will be 70 on Inauguration Day 2013, and Gephardt will be 71.  Something tells me that Biden would pick someone a bit younger as his running mate in this scenario.  Hard to imagine an all-septugenarian ticket.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »

Biden will be 70 on Inauguration Day 2013, and Gephardt will be 71.  Something tells me that Biden would pick someone a bit younger as his running mate in this scenario.  Hard to imagine an all-septugenarian ticket.

Oh crap. I had no idea Gephardt was getting that old. In that case, he chooses Mary Landrieu, a respectable moderate Democrat.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:46:56 AM »

Biden may give out the nuclear codes on The View this time, so I'm going Romney/Thune would win
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies