Will Kucinich challenge Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:22:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Kucinich challenge Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Kucinich challenge Obama?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Will Kucinich challenge Obama?  (Read 5990 times)
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:15:01 PM »

Our little pal from Ohio seems to be frustrated by the Healthcare Bill before the Senate at the moment, will the Democratic Congressman from Ohio challenge the Barackster? I am leaning towards yes, I think Kucinich has been pissed off for a long time, and somewhat feels disappointed Obama isn't really going far enough.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:34 PM »

No, I don't think so.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »

If he does I will vote for him.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »

In the primaries, if for some freak reason he does make it to the general I will vote third party.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »

I really don't know why he would.  Obama is the most liberal President since FDR.  Kucinich should realize that once you get into the Oval Office, things will never move as quickly as some would like, in particular, as quickly as some extreme leftists would like in this case.

Obama is as good as liberals are going to get for some time.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »

He has to.  He is the only person who knows the secrets to world peace that the aliens imparted onto him.

Plus, I think his ridiculously hot wife deserves a turn as first lady.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »

Kucinich had the best speech at the Convention
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:19:27 AM »

He has to.  He is the only person who knows the secrets to world peace that the aliens imparted onto him.

I agree. His wife is hot. He must be hung like a horse. I have no idea how he got her otherwise.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:30:41 AM »

I agree. His wife is hot. He must be hung like a horse. I have no idea how he got her otherwise.

LOLzers!
InstaGoldmine!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 01:31:18 AM »

No (normal).  If he did, I think the DNC would do everything in its power to punish him.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 01:38:13 AM »

In the primaries, if for some freak reason he does make it to the general I will vote third party.

You live in Oklahoma.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 02:25:02 AM »

You live in Oklahoma.

In 2012 I might not.........
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 02:57:10 AM »

I hope so. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »

He might, but he'd get maybe, what, 5% of the vote?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »

Unlike, say, Mike Gravel, Kucinich seems to be a fairly loyal Democrat.

Obama would have to screw up really openly and disastrously to elicit any nomination challenge, and were things to get to that point, someone more mainstream than Kucinich would also be running.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2009, 12:54:20 PM by SoIA Prometheus »

Hopefully

Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, Clinton and Truman were more liberal then Obama?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 02:02:31 PM »

Hopefully

I mean really, Obama has been in office for all of what 10 months and people are already calling him the next coming of full on principle liberalism? I mean really, does anyone remember the first two years of Clinton? I mean really remember it? HillaryCare and Assault Weapons Ban ring a bell? Believe me if it weren't for the Republican Revolution the 8 years of Clinton would've had a different tune.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »

I really don't know why he would.  Obama is the most liberal President since FDR.  Kucinich should realize that once you get into the Oval Office, things will never move as quickly as some would like, in particular, as quickly as some extreme leftists would like in this case.

Obama is as good as liberals are going to get for some time.

For once, Winfield, we agree completely.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:58:51 PM »

He has to.  He is the only person who knows the secrets to world peace that the aliens imparted onto him.

Met them both when he came to speak at our county Democratic club breakfast a couple years ago. She's every bit as hot as on TV, and he obviously (and wisely) dotes on her. Particularly as the onetime "boy mayor" is about twice her age.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »

Hopefully

I mean really, Obama has been in office for all of what 10 months and people are already calling him the next coming of full on principle liberalism? I mean really, does anyone remember the first two years of Clinton? I mean really remember it? HillaryCare and Assault Weapons Ban ring a bell? Believe me if it weren't for the Republican Revolution the 8 years of Clinton would've had a different tune.

I wasn't alive then. My point is that Obama, percieved by reports, is liberal. I'm not saying that the man is the new representation of liberalism or the "Hard left", but he certainly is a liberal.

As for Clinton, he was definitely left-leaning, but only when the Democrats controlled Congress. He increasingly moved to the center afterwards shaped his presidency to be defined as moderate. I have no qualms in saying that he wasn't so much as a centrist, just pragmatic.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »

No, he will think twice about running for the third time in a row (especially when that third time features an incumbent Democrat who is running).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »

Hopefully

I wasn't alive then. My point is that Obama, percieved by reports, is liberal. I'm not saying that the man is the new representation of liberalism or the "Hard left", but he certainly is a liberal.

As for Clinton, he was definitely left-leaning, but only when the Democrats controlled Congress. He increasingly moved to the center afterwards shaped his presidency to be defined as moderate. I have no qualms in saying that he wasn't so much as a centrist, just pragmatic.

Obama, as hard as it for some people to swallow, is also a pragmatist. Of course he won't go to the centre because at the worst the Democrats lose the House and Senate in 2012 (they have way too many seats in the Senate to lose it by 2010). Sure he may have come across as an ideaologue while campaigning and such but I think that is due to him being from blue state Illinois and not from somewhere like say Arkansas. If Obama had the same Congress as Clinton did it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he would act the same way.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »

Ah, Dennis Kucinich...

The guy I agree with on almost every single issue.  Who I also happen to think it nuttier than a Christmas fruitcake.  What to do, what to do?

Anyway, as to the question...maybe.  But I think it would be more likely that another liberal will step up and challenge the very centrist Obama in the primary.  It will be a token challenge, of course. 

I think it is less likely, but not completely out of the question, that some Democrat with very conservative voting patterns might also challenge Obama.  But that would probably be the same deal -- scarcely a blip on the radar.

As to Obama being the most liberal President since FDR, all I can say is LOL.  Now, I will agree that he certainly campaigned like a liberal.  Especially in the primary.  But he has pretty much governed as a center or center-left Democrat.  Very much like Bill Clinton.  I'm hardly happy about that but when it comes time to pull a lever, if I have to choose between a centrist and a Christo-Fascist (assuming the GOP nominates Palin, Huckabee, Thune or someone of that ilk), I won't have any choice but to vote for Barach a second time.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 04:21:43 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2009, 04:23:29 PM by Thomas E. Dewey »

I stand by my assertion that Obama is indeed the most liberal President since FDR.

NEVER FORGET A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT FREED THE SLAVES
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 04:48:31 PM »

Hopefully

Obama, as hard as it for some people to swallow, is also a pragmatist. Of course he won't go to the centre because at the worst the Democrats lose the House and Senate in 2012 (they have way too many seats in the Senate to lose it by 2010). Sure he may have come across as an ideaologue while campaigning and such but I think that is due to him being from blue state Illinois and not from somewhere like say Arkansas. If Obama had the same Congress as Clinton did it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he would act the same way.

I never doubted that Obama was a pragmatist. We agree on everything so far that we see here.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies