Which language is easier for the typical English speaker to learn? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:46:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which language is easier for the typical English speaker to learn? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which language is easier for the typical English speaker to learn?
French

Spanish

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Which language is easier for the typical English speaker to learn?  (Read 3748 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« on: November 13, 2009, 02:16:28 AM »

Both are romance (that is, Latin - aka 'roman' - based) languages, so they are pretty similar in a lot of ways.  They are closer to each other than they are to English, and both are closer to English that various eastern languages such as Japanese or Chinese.

I'd say that they are pretty much the same, though around here it is a lot easier to find fluent Spanish speakers to practice with (a situation perhaps reversed in or near Quebec).
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:08:36 AM »

Both are classified as Category I languages (relatively easy for native English speakers to learn).

I found Spanish easier, though I have trouble with most linguistics.  (which is a little strange since my father speaks several - including a category 4 (Chinese), a category 3 (Russian), and several Category I's (Spanish, French, German, smatterings of others).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies