Question about Devotional Practices
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:15:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Question about Devotional Practices
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question about Devotional Practices  (Read 1274 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »

For those of you who are believers, what devotional practices do you try to incorporate into your life? These could include regular prayer, Bible reading, Bible study, meditation, centering prayer, etc.

As an Episcopalian, I am trying to do the Daily Office (Morning and Evening Prayer, and sometimes Compline) but usually I only manage one of the "offices" per day instead of all.  I know some Orthodox folks who read "Come Receive the Light", some Baptists who really benefit from "Our Daily Bread" and Methodists who like the devotionals produced by Upper Room Publications.

How about you?  What do you do, if anything?  How often and what times work best?  Are there any special tools (prayer book, candles, Bible translations or paraphrases, rosary, etc.) that are helpful to you?

There are no right or wrong answers here...I simply enjoy hearing how people connect with their faith.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »

The Holy Rosary, the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Divine Office, the Spiritual Exercises. Also reading Scriptures as well as a variety of works by popes, saints, mystics, and theologians such as Thomas Aquinas, Augustine, Thomas A'Kempis, Bishop Sheen and Sister Anne C. Emmerich. Also the theological declarations of Church councils.

As well as the Mass and the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament of course.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »

I try to recite the Shema when I wake up and go to bed, but I forget far too frequently.  I occasionally read a Bible translation (usually the 1917 JPS translation), or some sort of commentary, but I forget to do that, as well.

In short, I am not as focused as I'd like to be.
titaniumtux
Rookie
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 9.10, S: -5.13

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:11:10 PM »

I pray every night. I sometimes pray on my commute, but only when I remember. gotta get back into the habit Tongue
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »

I pray every morning, less regularly at night. When I was an active Latter-day Saint I also read the BoM and Bible every day.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:26:41 AM »

i don't bend knee, fold my hands, or read scripture on a regular basis.  I speak to God, at some point, every day.  Most nights, when I go to bed, I pray the same thing...

"God, grant me the wisdom to do what is right in your eyes.  Take care of those I care about, and all of your people, and give me the strength to do the same."

I generally don't pray for material things, or good luck, because I simply don't like to do that.  Every now and then, I do the rosary, and say some script prayers.  I go to mass when I feel that I am in the state of mind for it... this one in particular tends to draw some flack from people who think its lazy or selfish to only go to mass when I "feel like it" but considering what goes on there, I think its disrespectful to go just to go through the motions, so I only go when I genuinely feel compelled to do so; usually about everyother Sunday, or so.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »

so I only go when I genuinely feel compelled to do so; usually about everyother Sunday, or so.

And doesn't the Catholic Church consider that a sin?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »

so I only go when I genuinely feel compelled to do so; usually about everyother Sunday, or so.

I think its funny that you think that anyone who is actually a real Catholic must slavishly commit their minds to every little thing that the Church says.  Doubly ironic, since the RCC itself doesn't even say that.  The rules are there as guidelines.  Unless they are absolute essentials to the faith, excepts are made.  Since the RCC has canonized people like St. Francis, who existed very much outside the established disciplines of the main Church body, I don't think they see it as much on a issue.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »

I think its funny that you think that anyone who is actually a real Catholic must slavishly commit their minds to every little thing that the Church says.

Actually more like something many "real Catholics" say.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »

I think its funny that you think that anyone who is actually a real Catholic must slavishly commit their minds to every little thing that the Church says.

Actually more like something many "real Catholics" say.

And believe me, I'm with you there.  The Church doesn't like people flagrantly disregarding what is says, because it says what it says for a reason, but the volume of things in the Church that are not definite is alot higher than many people think.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies