Gov. Bush: I'm not going to run for president in 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:10:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gov. Bush: I'm not going to run for president in 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gov. Bush: I'm not going to run for president in 2008  (Read 4608 times)
qwerty
ghwbush
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2004, 01:11:24 AM »

Jeb Bush Rules Out 2008 White House Run

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Gov. Jeb Bush said Sunday he will not run for president in 2008 and defended his brother from critics who say the president refuses to acknowledge his mistakes.

The governor also denied a report that he knew of problems with a list of felons to be purged from the state's voter rolls months before it was discarded.

``I'm not going to run for president in 2008. That's not my interest,'' Bush told ABC's ``This Week.'' ``I'm going to finish my term.''

Bush said he was not going to think about his next move until after completing his second term in 2006. In an Associated Press survey in August, more than a third of the state's Republican delegates said they favored Bush as the party's presidential candidate in 2008.

In the interview with George Stephanopolous, Bush defended the president against criticism from Democrats that his brother refuses to acknowledge mistakes with the economy and in Iraq.

``I think he could've admitted mistakes,'' he said. ``We're all human. But, in this campaign season ... where every word is just jumped on, you know, people are cautious.''

Also in the interview, the governor denied a report that he knew of problems with a list of felons to be purged from the state's list of eligible voters months before it was discarded. The list was thrown out in July because 2,500 ex-felons marked for purging the rolls had had their voting rights restored through the state's clemency process.

The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reported Saturday that a state computer expert wrote in an May 4 e-mail that the Florida Department of State's top computer expert had told him that Bush had rejected a recommendation that the list be scrapped.

But Bush said the issue first came to his attention in July.
``I thought it was appropriate ... that it wasn't going to be a useful tool for supervisors to weed out people that shouldn't have the right to vote,'' he said.

Most of those wrongly purged were Democrats and many were black. Hispanics, who often vote Republican in Florida, were almost entirely absent from the list due to a technical error when the two state databases were merged.

10/17/04 17:48

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 03:49:07 AM »

Jeb could have/might have won. But, next on list is Giuliani, Pataki, or Owens.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 05:16:43 PM »

I think Jeb would've been a terrible nominee in 2008, people would be tired of the Bushes....although some already are.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:49:00 PM »

I agree that people might find a third Bush a bit of excess. It would almost seem like a dynasty.
Trilobyte

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 06:05:31 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2004, 06:13:07 PM by Trilobyte »

Notice he added that he wants to finish his term (which ends in 2006) and that he doesn't know what he will do after that. To me, this sounds like he isn't completely ruling out a run, but he wants to sound like it. He only said that running for president is not his interest. Remember how Edwards said he was not interested in being VP, but added that he would do whatever necessary to elect a Democrat? Same thing here.

The media will not let go of this so easily, just like how they kept reporting the Kerry/McCain ticket possibility despite what McCain insisted.

Whether Jeb actually runs in 2008 will probably depend on W's (or Kerry's) popularity at that time. He know that the nomination would be his to lose if he runs, so it's pretty hard to resist...
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 12:22:44 PM »

There is always 2012 or 2016. I feel the Republicans will probably run a liberal to moderate in 2008. Guiliani is definitely on that list.  If the Constitution is amended to allow non-born citizens to run, there is a good chance Arnold will run.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 01:45:58 PM »

There is always 2012 or 2016. I feel the Republicans will probably run a liberal to moderate in 2008. Guiliani is definitely on that list.  If the Constitution is amended to allow non-born citizens to run, there is a good chance Arnold will run.
...although the chances of that happening are zilch.
I very much doubt Jeb Bush might run if his brother wins next month. That wouldn't just look like a dynasty anymore.
If Kerry wins though, it's possible. Although 2012 is more credible than 2008. (Is there a term limit in Florida? Or could he keep on being Governor?)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 02:42:55 PM »

...although the chances of that happening are zilch.
I very much doubt Jeb Bush might run if his brother wins next month. That wouldn't just look like a dynasty anymore.
If Kerry wins though, it's possible. Although 2012 is more credible than 2008. (Is there a term limit in Florida? Or could he keep on being Governor?)

JEB is in his last term as governor.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 02:50:04 PM »

Well, that makes 2012 a little late. Unless he finds some other position to run for in 2008 or 2010, to stay in the public eye.
Maybe he'll run for Senator in 2006. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 02:51:52 PM »

Well, that makes 2012 a little late. Unless he finds some other position to run for in 2008 or 2010, to stay in the public eye.
Maybe he'll run for Senator in 2006. Smiley

His term ends on '06. I have heard he has considered a Senatorial run. He is very likeable and very popular.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 07:06:08 PM »

I'm a strong supporter of President Bush but I have to say that another Bush on the ballot would be overload. People would definitly think Nepotism and Elitism and a mix of the creation of almost an Aristocracy. People wont vote for another Bush. Their were more Adams but they never became President. If Jeb wanted to run he should have ran before his brother got the chance.
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 07:21:41 PM »

I think JEB will just go into the private sector, and never again be a canidate for public office. He just dosen't seem to want it that much... he just wanted to be governor.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 12:08:13 PM »

Well, Republicans kept saying that Hillary would run in 2004 for either Prez or VP despite repeated denials, so I say us Democrats should continue to insist that Jeb will run in 2008, no matter what he says. Smiley Just keep saying it over and over regardless.
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 03:05:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
If Kerry wins and the election is very close or decided irregularly again, perhaps GW would run again, especially if things don't go well for Kerry.  GW could be the first person to both win without winning the popular vote, lose, and then win again.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 06:22:15 PM »

Personally, I think Jeb's just holding out until after his re-election campaign in '06...or, at the very least, until November 3rd.

No matter what anyone says about a dynasty, Jeb is certainly qualified to be President in his own right, and he already has my vote in the primaries and the general election.

I still say it's going to be another Bush-Clinton matchup in '08...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 12:43:11 AM »

Sadly JEB can't run again in '06.
danwxman

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 01:03:04 AM »

Giuliani is the most electable Republican candidate for 2008..but I doubt he will make it out of the primaries. He's just too liberal....not to mention the blaming the troops comment today.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 05:52:14 PM »

Jeb might hvae a good shot in 2008 if Bush loses, but if he wins it might be a little much.

That said, he'll run anyway.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 06:25:24 PM »

Question for you Senator, what would the policy differences be between Jeb and George W?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 06:26:09 PM »

I think Jeb will run for U.S. Senate. Just a gut feeling though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 07:00:23 PM »

Question for you Senator, what would the policy differences be between Jeb and George W?

Jeb is Catholic though he is pretty conservative. (example:Terrys Law)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 08:33:23 PM »

Isn't Terry braindead? I'm pro-life, but if it's not even possible to come out of that state...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2004, 09:23:42 AM »

WHy the people's obsession with Jiuliani?
Someone jumping from ex-Mayor to president is ridiculous, and i don't think the primary voters would choose anyone that much unexperient.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2004, 03:28:27 PM »

WHy the people's obsession with Jiuliani?
Someone jumping from ex-Mayor to president is ridiculous, and i don't think the primary voters would choose anyone that much unexperient.

Giuliani has governed over more people and situations then some Governors of small states. His problem would be getting the nomination being a liberal republican.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2004, 05:06:47 PM »

Jeb also has more liberal views on some things, like education spending. He's more tax-friendly from what I hear. Socially, he is more conservative on some issues, but more liberal on others.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies