Georgia Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:33:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Georgia Megathread  (Read 9611 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
« edited: November 17, 2009, 01:20:09 PM by Bacon Veep »

This will be my thread for everything Georgia-related, specifically the 2010 statewide elections but  I'll be touching on other things as well.

I'll start by providing an overview of the big races.

The Race for Governor

The fight to replace Sonny Perdue will be long and bloody, in both primaries as well as the general election. Look especially for the Republican race to be extremely negative.

The Republican Primary

Nathan Deal: United States Congressman from Gainesville, Hall County who represents northern Georgia outside of most of the Atlanta suburbs. He entered the race in late May, and as of June 30th had already raised $1.2 million. He's largely unknown outside of his district but has a huge following inside it. He's also the only candidate currently serving in Washington, and I don't know how that will play. He's not running for reelection to his House seat so presumably this race is all-or-nothing for him.

Eric Johnson: He was the President Pro Tempore of the Georgia State Senate who recently resigned from his Savannah-area district to run for Governor full-time. Georgia's PPT is term limited, so had he stayed in the Senate he would have faced a demotion. He was originally planning on a run for Lt. Governor but when Cagle decided to run for reelection, Johnson decided to go for the Governorship. While he's unknown outside of Savannah he managed to raise almost a million dollars in the month after his announcement, demonstrating that he'll be giving this race his all.

Karen Handel: Current Georgia Secretary of State and said to be Sonny Perdue's chosen successor. Indeed, she was his Deputy Chief of Staff before she got elected as Chairman of the Fulton County (Atlanta) Board of Commissioners. She's got a bit of a political base in the suburbs of north Fulton County, which certainly helped her raise the half-million dollars she did by June 30th before she really even began actively campaigning. Conspiracy theorists point out that she's the person in charge of operating the electronic voting machines the election will be held on.

John Oxendine: Current Georgia Insurance Commissioner who's considered the front runner because he's been in the race much longer than anyone else. He's raised almost $1.5 million to date and has $1 million cash on hand. He's got a bit of a political base in Gwinnett County though because he's been campaigning for almost two years he's developed much more statewide campaign infrastructure. He's gotten in some trouble lately over illegal donations from insurance companies via fake PACs in Alabama; if that scandal becomes a big deal and/or has it's day in court, Oxendine's campaign would basically be over. Also, his campaign released this hilarious video which you should definitely see if you haven't. Still, the guy's trying really hard here and has been working on it for a while.

Austin Scott: State Representative from rural southern Georgia who's running a smaller campaign but will probably win the counties in his area. He's chairman of the State House's Governmental Affairs Committee so presumably he's got some influence. He raised $180,000 by June 30th, over half of which he immediately invested in his campaign. Still, I doubt he has much of a chance unless all the big-name candidates tear each other to pieces.

Jeff Chapman: State Senator from Brunswick, Glynn County, on the coast. His website is interesting and unorthodox; if you've got the time take a glance at it. He's a new entrant to the race and thus no fundraising data is available. He'll have to raise some big money to play catch-up with the other candidates if he wants a shot at winning this race. I'd assume, though, he's mainly running next year to make the contacts for a later campaign in a lesser office.

There's also Ray McBerry, a non-factor protest candidate who's run before without gaining any traction and who's raised practically no money. Might get a couple of percentage points at most, but even that is a big deal in this big of a race.

There's really no clear favorite between Deal, Handel, Johnson, and Oxendine; all four have a strong ability to fund raise, a hold on their own geographic political base, and a complete commitment to winning this race. It will be long, bloody, and make for spectacular political drama. The other two/three candidates are wildcards, who hold the balance in what is otherwise a four-way split. This race will definitely be going to a run-off. Between who, it's impossible to tell.

The map itself will also be exciting (for us pol junkies anyway), in some ways strongly resembling an old "friends-and-neighbors" primary- each candidate besides McBerry has their own area they're basically guaranteed to win.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »

I've been down in Georgia a lot, and have relatives down there, so I know a little about this...

One of my relatives is friends with Governor Perdue. From the vibes she got from Perdue, she thinks he wants Deal to win. That's who I support, too. It should be a bloody close primary, if you ask me. As long as Roy Barnes doesn't win, I'll be happy. His decision redesign the flag was horrible, and he made the state flag look horrible as well. Hopefully voters will be reminded of that before election day.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »

The Democratic Primary

Roy Barnes: He's the elephant in the room for the Democratic Primary. Much of what happens in this race depends on how serious he is, how he frames his political comeback, and ultimately, how much traction he gains with the electorate. He hadn't started his campaign as of the June 30th deadline so no money numbers are available, but Barnes has a bit of a legend as a prolific fundraiser. There were even rumors going around earlier this year that he was poaching off Republican fundraisers across the state. Also, fun fact! His middle name, Eugene, comes from Eugene Talmadge, who happens to be the last Georgia governor to win reelection after leaving office.

Thurbert Baker: Current Georgia Attorney General and Georgia's only statewide African American officeholder. He's been AG for 12 years and has consistently been the highest vote-getter for the Dems. He raised $700,000 by June 30th, the most of any Democratic candidate. He definitely has a strong chance to win the Democratic nomination, especially with his history of appealing pretty strongly to whites.

DuBose Porter: State House Minority Leader from Dublin, Laurens County, and a bit of a populist. He's raised a bit over $200,000 though seems to only now be putting the wheels on his campaign. Time will tell if he can get any traction.

David Poythress: General in charge of Georgia's National Guard (appointed by Barnes, reappointed by Perdue), who resigned from his post to run for Governor. He ran before, in 1998, but lost to Barnes in the primary. He's been state Labor Commissioner, Secretary of State, and Assistant Attorney General. He was Chief of Military Justice at DaNang airbase during the Vietnam War. His campaign has been very active amongst the netroots, using their website and facebook much more than the other campaigns. My friends from three different state College Democrat chapters have defaulted to supporting him, mostly because of the campaigns targeting efforts this early.  He raised $225,000 by June 30th, which isn't much, but time will tell if he can turn his outreach to younger voters into anything more substantive.

Oh, there's also Carl Camon, the only other African American candidate in the race. Mayor of a town of 746 who's raised all of $775. I don't really know why he's running, but he sure seems to have some grand ambitions.

It's too early to declare who will win, but Barnes has a good chance if he engages fully and early. Baker is also a strong contender and is basically guaranteed to at least make it into the runoff. Either Poythress and Porter could make it if Barnes flops. This'll be an interesting race, even if not as heated as the Republican counterpart.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »

I've been down in Georgia a lot, and have relatives down there, so I know a little about this...

One of my relatives is friends with Governor Perdue. From the vibes she got from Perdue, she thinks he wants Deal to win. That's who I support, too. It should be a bloody close primary, if you ask me. As long as Roy Barnes doesn't win, I'll be happy. His decision redesign the flag was horrible, and he made the state flag look horrible as well. Hopefully voters will be reminded of that before election day.

Yeah, most conservative voters only remember Barnes from the flag thing, so if he's nominated that issue would definitely be a lightning rod. Interesting to hear your take on Perdue; I was unaware he was fond of Deal. Still, his "machine" or whatever seems to be supporting Handel, at least tentatively.

The best hope for the eventual Democratic candidate is a Republican nomination battle that will split the party going into the election. Bitter losers are great for the opposition.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:34:11 PM »

Well, we just need to remind the party all of the horrible things, such as changing the flag, Barnes did. It is important that the state of Georgia keeps Barnes out of office if the state wants to prosper.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »

I endorse and support John Oxendine for Governor.

I like Nathan Deal, but he's also under investigation for corruption and from what I hear, it's worse then the Ox's problems.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »

THE OX!!!!!!!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »

Barnes! If you haven't guessed my support already. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »

Barnes! If you haven't guessed my support already. Tongue

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »

And it bothers me sooooo much.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »

It should bother you that Barnes is a power-hungry man. King Roy the Rat  issss baaaacccckkk

Ox 2010!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »

It should bother you that Barnes is a power-hungry man. King Roy the Rat  issss baaaacccckkk

Ox 2010!

Let me guess, you just watched that video? Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:09:22 PM »

Well, it does bother me, and many others. The flag design was horrible. Who knows? He might try and change it back to that piece of garbage.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 05:19:10 PM »

Well, it does bother me, and many others. The flag design was horrible. Who knows? He might try and change it back to that piece of garbage.

The Legislature changed it from this:

The Current flag is fine by me, and pretty much all Georgians:

pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »

Ox 2010!

Let me guess, you just watched that video? Tongue

No, I just watched it for the 77th time.

Oxendine for Governor.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »

King Roy might change it since it wasn't his design.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »

King Roy might change it since it wasn't his design.

Here: http://www.roy2010.com/

Please watch the ad called "Listening".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 06:28:42 PM »

Go Barnes!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »

I'm so glad that your state's most pressing issue is the design of the state flag.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »

I'm so glad that your state's most pressing issue is the design of the state flag.

Well. Not to me. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 12:35:08 AM »

My money's on The Ox in the primaries.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 12:43:53 AM »

Maybe I don't understand since I don't live there, but why do people want the Confederate Battle Flag on there so much? Quite honestly, it's looked upon as a symbol of racism by a large number of people. Why would you honor that?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 04:20:52 AM »

Maybe I don't understand since I don't live there, but why do people want the Confederate Battle Flag on there so much? Quite honestly, it's looked upon as a symbol of racism by a large number of people. Why would you honor that?

Most people don't really care anymore about the flag itself, actually. Conservatives just hold a personal grudge against Roy Barnes out of convenience.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »

Most people don't really care anymore about the flag itself, actually. Conservatives just hold a personal grudge against Roy Barnes out of convenience.
He had no business changing the flag like that! If anything, it should have gone to a public vote.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

He had no business changing the flag like that! If anything, it should have gone to a public vote.

1. The Georgia State flag that included the Confederate battle flag was created as a solely racist measure; it was designed by the Georgia Assembly in 1956 and passed in an anti-Brown v. Board of Education legislative package. The only history that flag represents is one this state is glad to move beyond.
2. The state government had been trying to change the flag since Zell Miller in 1993, but the legislature had been unwilling until 2001. Barnes did nothing that his predecessors hadn't attempted first. Many state officials even intentionally replaced the 1956 flag with the pre-1956 flag when the Olympics were in Atlanta, just to keep such a racist symbol out of the public's eye.
3. Sonny Perdue is more guilty of anything you're arguing about than Barnes anyway; he got elected only because he promised to put the flag issue to a vote, but once he got elected he didn't even include the 1956 flag in the referendum- people could only vote between "Barnes' flag" and "Perdue's flag." So much for a public vote!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies