Putin: Terrorist Aiming to Derail Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:01:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Putin: Terrorist Aiming to Derail Bush  (Read 5031 times)
qwerty
ghwbush
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2004, 08:45:03 AM »

DUSHANBE, Tajikistan (AP) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that terrorists are aiming to derail President Bush's chances at re-election through their attacks in Iraq.

Putin noted that his government continued to disagree with Bush on Washington's invasion of Iraq, which Russia strongly opposed as a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council.

``I consider the activities of terrorists in Iraq are not as much aimed at coalition forces but more personally against President Bush,'' Putin said at a news conference after a regional summit in the Tajik capital, Dushanbe.

``International terrorism has as its goal to prevent the election of President Bush to a second term,'' he said. ``If they achieve that goal, then that will give international terrorism a new impulse and extra power.''

Still, Putin didn't say which candidate he favored in the Nov. 2 election. ``We unconditionally respect any choice of the American people,'' he said.
Angel of Death
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 09:11:17 AM »

Putin wants Bush as president in order to have a free hand in Chechnya and thinks he can get his way by instilling a guilt-by-association mind-set into the American electorate with regards to voting against Bush.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 09:45:45 AM »

I don't like Putin period! I agree he does want a freehand to subjugate Chechnya.

He's no different from the Tsars or the Soviets.

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 09:53:39 AM »

You think so?  I know he was a hard-liner, but on the flip side, I think he's done fairly well given the state of his nation.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 01:26:07 PM »

You think so?  I know he was a hard-liner, but on the flip side, I think he's done fairly well given the state of his nation.

He's done well at one thing and one thing only - gathering power to himself, and oppressing all opposition. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 02:15:29 PM »

.....and oppressing all opposition. 

hehehe . . . we're talking about Putin, not the DNC's attack on Nader to keep him off he ballots.  Wink
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 02:17:07 PM »

He's done well at one thing and one thing only - gathering power to himself, and oppressing all opposition. 

And you disagree with him?  Surprise
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 02:22:33 PM »

And you disagree with him?  Surprise

Make sense for him, but not really for anyone else.  Certainly he's creating a Russia that is not in American or European interests.. not to mention an unpleasant place for Russians and a dangerous place for foreign investors.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 02:26:50 PM »

Make sense for him, but not really for anyone else.  Certainly he's creating a Russia that is not in American or European interests.. not to mention an unpleasant place for Russians and a dangerous place for foreign investors.

I'm going to have to agree, Putin is basically trying to make a new dictatorship.  And holy green spaces that guy scares me, his eyes....AHH!  Just looks like a Soviet.

Anyway, there is good in that, as you said, he's making Russia in a way he thinks Russia should go, not  the way America or Europe thinks they should go.  However, it's just on the road back to Communism.  They really need to get rid of the corruption, because it's tearing them to pieces.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 03:20:11 PM »

I think Putin is right when he says that if President Bush is defeated for reelection, it will give new impetus and power to terrorists.

Terrorists definitely want to see Bush lose, and that is a big part of the reason that I want to see the president win reelection.  The terrorists know that whatever Kerry may say (it changes from day to day), if Kerry is elected the pressure on them will be significantly reduced.
CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 04:16:06 PM »

C'mon. Who takes this seriously?

If Putin knows so much about the terrorists, why doesn't he do a better job of stopping them?

This is transparently an attempt to curry favor with Bush. It's laughable.

The Bush campaign is losing on policy so it's time to rachet up the fear level. I wonder how much it cost Bush to buy this favor from Putin.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 04:22:48 PM »

I've never understood the idea of terrorists plotting an attack to cause Bush to be ousted.  If there was a major terrorist attack a day or two before election day, Bush would probably win in a landslide since the country would go back to being deathly afraid of the terrorists.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 04:38:07 PM »

I've never understood the idea of terrorists plotting an attack to cause Bush to be ousted.  If there was a major terrorist attack a day or two before election day, Bush would probably win in a landslide since the country would go back to being deathly afraid of the terrorists.

Yeah, maybe Rove is having trouble engineering an al Qaeda attack. The best he could get was Putin to talk about one.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 05:20:52 PM »

Terrorist attacks in Iraq are much more effective than attacks in the US to weaken support for the president.  That may be what the Islamists are thinking, but it's hard to impute rational motives onto those people.

I would, however, expect to see another major attack in the US if Kerry wins.  A Kerry victory would be a huge victory for Islamic terrorism, in my opinion, because he would essentially return to the policies of the Clinton years.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 05:49:18 PM »

That may be what the Islamists are thinking, but it's hard to impute rational motives onto those people.

Bush supporters have got to be psychotic. They think their Neo Con ideology is right for the country and then make moronic statements like, "Islamists are not rational".

People that act alone can be not rational. Guess what! People don't join not rational movements. There's a rationality that organizes the thinking of al Qaeda supporters. You just don't understand it. And you're so arrogant, you attribute your failure to understand to a lack of rationality on the part of "Islamists".

Bush people are not dealing in reality. They have some fictional bullsh**t view of the world that they feed themselves that makes them feel comfortable and righteous.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 06:02:34 PM »

That may be what the Islamists are thinking, but it's hard to impute rational motives onto those people.

Bush supporters have got to be psychotic. They think their Neo Con ideology is right for the country and then make moronic statements like, "Islamists are not rational".

People that act alone can be not rational. Guess what! People don't join not rational movements. There's a rationality that organizes the thinking of al Qaeda supporters. You just don't understand it. And you're so arrogant, you attribute your failure to understand to a lack of rationality on the part of "Islamists".

Bush people are not dealing in reality. They have some fictional bullsh**t view of the world that they feed themselves that makes them feel comfortable and righteous.

So if I understand you, Islamic suicide terrorists are highly rational, but Bush supporters are irrational?  Maybe you are too arrogant to recognize that you don't see the rationality in the president's policy.  And if you think those suicide bombers are rational, then you have a screw loose.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 06:14:32 PM »

So if I understand you, Islamic suicide terrorists are highly rational, but Bush supporters are irrational?  Maybe you are too arrogant to recognize that you don't see the rationality in the president's policy.  And if you think those suicide bombers are rational, then you have a screw loose.

You don't believe in dying for a cause?

Bush supporters have an ideological fantasyland where Bush and the GOP can do no wrong. The fantasyland has its own logic and rationality. It's just the rest of the world doesn't work the way the Bushies believe it does.

But yeah, I don't think Bush supporters are more rational than al Qaeda supporters. al Qaeda wants a global war between the West and Islam. And Bush wants a global war between the West and al Qaeda, et al. Pretty similar, eh? In such a war Bush and the Neo Cons will have more power over their native constituencies and ObL and al Qaeda will have more power over their native constituencies.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 07:35:30 PM »

You don't believe in dying for a cause?

Bush supporters have an ideological fantasyland where Bush and the GOP can do no wrong. The fantasyland has its own logic and rationality. It's just the rest of the world doesn't work the way the Bushies believe it does.

But yeah, I don't think Bush supporters are more rational than al Qaeda supporters. al Qaeda wants a global war between the West and Islam. And Bush wants a global war between the West and al Qaeda, et al. Pretty similar, eh? In such a war Bush and the Neo Cons will have more power over their native constituencies and ObL and al Qaeda will have more power over their native constituencies.

So if West vs. Islam = West vs. al Qaeda, then you are saying that Islam = al Qaeda ?  Sounds like you live in the fantasyland.  Also your comments on rationality are totally wrong.  People absolutely do join irrational movements, and individuals acting alone certainly can be rational.  Was Naziism rational?  Were the Branch Dividians rational?  Was Rosa Parks irrational? 

And another thing, please refrain from constantly grouping all Bush supporters together into one demonic group.  Are you serious that you think it is more rational to support al Qaeda than Bush?  Sounds like nothing more than trolling to me, as I find it hard to accept that someone claiming to be so mature and based in reality could believe such a thing.  Your drivel adds nothing to the conversation and only makes your points, however far and between, less effective.  And stop saying Neo Con, it is just annoying.

BACK ON TRACK ONCE AGAIN

I think Putin is a real threat to democracy in Russia, but I do think that he is making the best out of a really bad situation.  Russia could be in a lot worse shape than it is.  Perhaps his form of government does not exactly mesh with our views on democracy, but I do think that he is trying his best for his country.  I dont think that anyone cares if he endorses Bush, but I think he has a point about the terrorists feeling empowered if Bush looses. 
shankbear

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 07:55:42 PM »

CollectiveInterest,  On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the farthest toward the communist party, how far are you?  For real don't be shy.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 08:25:17 PM »

CollectiveInterest,  On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the farthest toward the communist party, how far are you?  For real don't be shy.

What is the Republican obsession with namecalling?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 08:26:13 PM »

Terrorist attacks in Iraq are much more effective than attacks in the US to weaken support for the president.  That may be what the Islamists are thinking, but it's hard to impute rational motives onto those people.

I would, however, expect to see another major attack in the US if Kerry wins.  A Kerry victory would be a huge victory for Islamic terrorism, in my opinion, because he would essentially return to the policies of the Clinton years.

Its really very simple.

The terrorists believe that Americans are like Spainiards.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 09:01:59 PM »

Ah, the former head of the KGB just said something. Should I care one iota?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 09:10:55 PM »

Putin always has been an undemocratic asshole.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 09:22:02 PM »

Putin always has been an undemocratic asshole.

But he's Bush's undemocratic asshole.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 09:48:57 PM »

The maturity on this thread has just hit a new low.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies