Putin: Terrorist Aiming to Derail Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Putin: Terrorist Aiming to Derail Bush  (Read 5037 times)
CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 10:19:37 PM »

The maturity on this thread has just hit a new low.

You know what? I've tried engaging Republicans with facts and logic for years. Poor track record.

So I'm opening-up the ridicule front.

If they're gonna support policies that are dishonest or aren't working, I'm gonna include ridicule in my arguments. If they are still gonna be wrong on the issues, I'm gonna make 'em feel stupid about it. Because I'm sick of them being wrong and being proud of it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 02:09:46 AM »

I think the fact that the former head of the KGB who now runs his country like a dictatorship is being touted as a valid endorsement by Republicans is more immature than anything else here.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 02:24:47 AM »

DUSHANBE, Tajikistan (AP) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that terrorists are aiming to derail President Bush's chances at re-election through their attacks in Iraq.

Putin noted that his government continued to disagree with Bush on Washington's invasion of Iraq, which Russia strongly opposed as a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council.

``I consider the activities of terrorists in Iraq are not as much aimed at coalition forces but more personally against President Bush,'' Putin said at a news conference after a regional summit in the Tajik capital, Dushanbe.

``International terrorism has as its goal to prevent the election of President Bush to a second term,'' he said. ``If they achieve that goal, then that will give international terrorism a new impulse and extra power.''

Still, Putin didn't say which candidate he favored in the Nov. 2 election. ``We unconditionally respect any choice of the American people,'' he said.

Make no mistake about it, I'm no fan of Putin, but, I think I do understand the basis for his statement.

The simple fact is that the Chechynan terrorists are being trained, funded, and supplied by Al Quida (indeed, non-chechynan islamic terrorist are serving with them in their attacks).

Putin figures (rightly I believe), that Kerry would reduce the pressure on Al Queida, allowing them to regroup, which in turn would allow them to provide more aid to the chechynan terrorists in Russia.

Lets face if, the Russians have had two major attacks by the Chechyans (the Moscow theatre and then the school massacre).  They have good reason to want to want to defeat them.

Putin (I believe) sees the chechyan/al queida bloc much the same way that Stalin saw the Axis.  Also, he sees Bush in much the same light as Stalin saw the US in WW2 (a necessary temporary ally).

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 04:09:09 AM »

Why do you Republicans like Putin?
Like Chirac, he was going to veto the Iraq war in the UN.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 04:45:48 AM »

A.) I'm not a Republican.

B.) I don't like Putin

c.) The motivations of Putin and Chirac are different, which in turn explains their different (and sometimes) similiar approaches.  Putin wants to be dictator of a greater Russia for life, and well take what approachs he sees as furthering that goal.  Chirac pursues evil policies because he is evil.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 07:34:06 AM »

Putin is the leader of a country which basically collapsed following the end of the cold war.  The populous (most of them poor) is widely spread out throughout the nation, with many parts of the nation inhabitable.  To the south he has a separatist nation which has been sponsoring terroristic activity against it's former countrymen.  To the East he has a booming Chinese population which is rapidly approaching Capitalism, and to the West he has European nations that expect Russia to just wake up and become a fully open Democracy.  I'd like to see any of you sit in his chair and try to balance all of these external pressures and build an open society after years of the populous being dependent upon the government for their livelihood (take note all of you that want to keep moving the US further into a wellfare state).

We all know that "Democracy" doesn't happen over night.  It didn't here in the US nor in Europe.  So what is needed to keep a country together during the early stages?  A strongman.  This is the roll that Putin has taken upon himself to hold his nation together.  While many might view this as a retreat back towards the days of the USSR, there is a vast difference.  Putin has been open with most of the Western nations, trying to form ties that will lead to greater free-market access as well as foreign funding.  A perfect example is the problem with Yukos.  The last thing I heard was Russia was going to take over a portion of the Yukos operation, and the rest was going to be bought and operated by an outside company.  This will bring back stability (both economically and employment) within a key industry in Russia while also forming better ties with the West.

This is just a brief glimpse of what Putin is up against.  Knock him all you want, but just know that there is no one on this forum that can currently do a better job than he at the moment.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 11:18:38 AM »

c.) The motivations of Putin and Chirac are different, which in turn explains their different (and sometimes) similiar approaches.  Putin wants to be dictator of a greater Russia for life, and well take what approachs he sees as furthering that goal.  Chirac pursues evil policies because he is evil.

oh give me a break...
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 11:20:24 AM »

*hands BTRD a piece of his Kit-Kat Bar*
CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 12:24:46 PM »

Richard M. Nixon, I've got a question for you: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=10622.0
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004, 12:25:54 PM »

That was more relavant on the Kerry Salute thread, not this one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies