Putin's comments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Putin's comments
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Putin's comments  (Read 1309 times)
ThSneak

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2004, 10:17:53 AM »

Title of the article is "Putin urges voters to back Bush"  I'm extremely surprised that any world leader would come out and say this.  I haven't really been able to formulate my thoughts yet.  Do you think this will have an impact on the election?   A backlash against being told by other countries whom to vote for?  Discuss.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/10/18/putin.iraq/index.html
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 10:26:47 AM »

Title of the article is "Putin urges voters to back Bush"  I'm extremely surprised that any world leader would come out and say this.  I haven't really been able to formulate my thoughts yet.  Do you think this will have an impact on the election?   A backlash against being told by other countries whom to vote for?  Discuss.

Well, if I was an American voter I'd resent Putin for telling me how to vote. Why would any one running for US president want an endorsement from that man, who frankly gives the Tsars and the Soviets a run for their money!

He's an enemy of democracy.

Dave
ThSneak

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 10:36:41 AM »

Well, first of all, I don't think many Americans really know much about the corruption in his administration, and secondly, though this is true, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's wrong.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:23:41 PM »

I think it will have little impact on the election.  What Putin said - that a Bush defeat would be a victory for terrorism - is something acutely felt already by most of those of us who are planning to vote for the president.

Those who believe otherwise - that Kerry can maintain a credible offense against the Islamofascists - will not be swayed by Putin.

There might be a slight positive effect among swing voters, but I don't think the comment will receive enough attention among lay voters to make a huge difference.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 05:25:53 PM »

To be honest, I'm getting kind of tired of so much foreign interest in our elections.  (not to our friends out of state on this board)  What I mean is foreign leaders like Putin, or the people mailing voters in Ohio.  It's just getting to the point where I want to yell for them all to butt out.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 05:33:21 PM »

The Japanese PM also endorsed Bush.

Humorously, Bush has gotten much better foreign endorsements than Kerry... though Kerry did pick up the extreme anti-semite former Indonesian PM yesterday...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 05:53:59 PM »

Why world leaders find themselves obligated to endorse candidates when they are hated universally is truly beyond me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies