Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?  (Read 16150 times)
Mint
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2009, 07:45:49 PM by catchfire™ »

Its easy for upper class people and liberals to oppose number 5. Come live a day in my shoes and see what kind of an economic genocide you are creating with your political correctness.

Economic genocide?

If there weren't jobs there, people wouldn't come.

They take jobs that wold normally go to Americans because they work below minimum wage. With 10% unemployment, the argument of "they take jobs Americans won't do" is complete BS.

But that's why I support a guest worker program and path to citizenship, because then they have to be paid minimum wage and thus there is a level playing field.

Besides the reality that a guest worker program would basically formalize migrants as an official 2nd class citizen class you might want to look at the bracero program and how splendidly that was at curbing illegal immigration (hint: it didn't).
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »

Its easy for upper class people and liberals to oppose number 5. Come live a day in my shoes and see what kind of an economic genocide you are creating with your political correctness.

Economic genocide?

They take jobs that wold normally go to Americans because they work below minimum wage. With 10% unemployment, the argument of "they take jobs Americans won't do" is complete BS.

But that's why I support a guest worker program and path to citizenship, because then they have to be paid minimum wage and thus there is a level playing field.

Besides the reality that a guest worker program would basically formalize migrants as an official 2nd class citizen class you might want to look at the bracero program and how splendidly that was at curbing illegal immigration (hint: it didn't).

Those Indians with VISAs do pretty well Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »

Economic genocide?

The fact that there's been "economic genocide" is a good reason to oppose closed borders. But a guest worker program is no good. Allow legal immigration quickly and easily to any non-criminals. They'll stop coming when there aren't jobs.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »

Economic genocide?

The fact that there's been "economic genocide" is a good reason to oppose closed borders. But a guest worker program is no good. Allow legal immigration quickly and easily to any non-criminals. They'll stop coming when there aren't jobs.

What's wrong with a guest worker program? Many of the illegals here just want to work for a few years and then return to their home countries.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »

Economic genocide?

They've already begun to do that, statistics show a huge drop off in influxes. Beyond that I half-agree, we need more skilled laborers and a visa system that makes sense but I don't think letting in tons of uneducated migrants is a good idea.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »

Economic genocide?

What's wrong with a guest worker program? Many of the illegals here just want to work for a few years and then return to their home countries.

It leads to guest workers being considered second-class. If they wish to return, they can emigrate again.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »

Honestly go take a look at France right now or a good chunk of west europe for an idea of what that sort of arrangement actually does to everyone involved.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2009, 05:51:17 AM »

Most of these are talking points that one can neither agree nor disagree with.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2009, 07:15:13 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2009, 07:17:26 AM by Lunar »

Most of these are talking points that one can neither agree nor disagree with.

Their actually policy implications, the purpose behind the questions, are each very clear though.  It's really just a matter of each question asking about the stimulus, health care, cap-n-trade, amnesty, troop surges, gay marriage, etc.  The writers' of the questions obviously did not want to narrow each question now so much, so they took each policy and wrote a partially abstract version of it.  All pretty simple, I think...but it's pretty clear what they are asking.  "Are you going to step into the Republican fold on such-and-such issue or not?"

The problem isn't with the actual questions, as ridiculous as they may be.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2009, 07:43:28 AM »

What do you think?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

A resolution is being circulated by RNC members which calls for candidates to support at least 8 of the 10 items listed below or face action by the RNC:

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

9/10. I only disagree with the DOMA plank. DOMA should be altered to allow federal benefits to states that allow civil unions or gay marriage.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »

The only one I can say that I support with absolute certainty is 4.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2012, 12:59:18 PM by 後援会 »

A resolution is being circulated by RNC members which calls for candidates to support at least 8 of the 10 items listed below or face action by the RNC:

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

I can stretch my views to support 8/10. I'm a no on #8, and #6, and I could probably argue successfully that 1, 2, 5, 7, and 10 fit. Probably.

Seriously, this isn't a very impressive purity test. Most people can stretch their views or frame them in a way that lets them make it past it.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »

2/10. -_-
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »

And 3, partly.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »

1, 2, and 10.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Um... cap and trade is a market-based solution, idiots.

Um Cap and Trade is a government based solution thus this statement is correct

8/10 no on 6 and 7
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

You're a libertarian who supports gun control, the stimulus, and Obamacare? What the...
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2012, 06:26:33 PM »

5/5
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »

You're a libertarian who supports gun control, the stimulus, and Obamacare? What the...

1 was the stimulus, 2 was Obamacare, and 10 was gun control. I oppose those three, which is why I put those items as the ones I passed the test on.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »

This is right.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »

For whatever it's worth, I actually don't know what #4 is supposed to mean. So either I get 1/10 or 0/10 on this purity test.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »

For whatever it's worth, I actually don't know what #4 is supposed to mean. So either I get 1/10 or 0/10 on this purity test.

According to Wikipedia, card check is a unionization method where a bunch of employees at a plant sign these card things, and if more than 50% of them sign, the employer has to recognize the union.

I got 1/10 (I support #7).
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »

7/10.

No to 6, 7, and 8.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »

Um Cap and Trade is a government based solution thus this statement is correct

8/10 no on 6 and 7

It is a government-mandated market solution.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies