Do you satisfy the Republican purity test? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:54:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you satisfy the Republican purity test? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?  (Read 16273 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:36:59 AM »

So which party do I belong in folks?  Tell me. Thanks in advance. Smiley

D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA

Is Lunar not the only one who marks JC down as his personal hero, ass-hole? Tongue

How did I get dragged into this?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 02:09:49 AM »

Is Lunar not the only one who marks JC down as his personal hero, ass-hole? Tongue

I actually agree with your approach on all of your responses, with a few minor quibbles (being open to health care models based on other countries' experiences in principle, even if admitting it's not a feasible solution in the American political context, being more pro-gun for pragmatic reasons).

I think all of us are guilty of, what was that term I just used in another thread?, ideologically pre-scripted policies, that's right, and then realizing that the issues are more complex than we like to simplify them down to....some of which boil down to conflicting persuasive moral principles (abortion), and others which get boiled down to rhetorically charged words ("government takeover"  "single-payer") with little interest in how the actual policy turns out....which results in a "compromise" which is barely tolerable to a majority of legislators assortments of special interests which care about different things.   I mean, with all the talk of the evil health insurance industry opposing health care reform, it's mostly lost that the prescription drug industry is spending $150m in support of it in exchange for some looser regulations on new technology patents to prevent them from becoming generics (and more people having access helps them too).... anyway...I'm not sure what I was trying to say.  I doubt I agree with any hilarious set of guiding partisan principles and it'd be offensive if anyone tried to impose that on my party.  Those principles don't stem from any meta theory of governance, as you said, they are just the aggregate product of the moment from the coalition that makes up Republican-inclined voters.  
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:49:06 PM »

Apparently that was my score, and it says something about why my political anchor is not at present moored as it were.

I think it mostly says something about how gay that list of principles is. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:15:13 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2009, 07:17:26 AM by Lunar »

Most of these are talking points that one can neither agree nor disagree with.

Their actually policy implications, the purpose behind the questions, are each very clear though.  It's really just a matter of each question asking about the stimulus, health care, cap-n-trade, amnesty, troop surges, gay marriage, etc.  The writers' of the questions obviously did not want to narrow each question now so much, so they took each policy and wrote a partially abstract version of it.  All pretty simple, I think...but it's pretty clear what they are asking.  "Are you going to step into the Republican fold on such-and-such issue or not?"

The problem isn't with the actual questions, as ridiculous as they may be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies