Do you satisfy the Republican purity test? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:30:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you satisfy the Republican purity test? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?  (Read 16250 times)
Mint
YaBB God
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »

What was the one exception?
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »

Stupid concept and a ridiculous list created by those that make up the worst aspects of the Republican Party.  Embarrassing to say the least.

I love how they dropped in the Reagan quote at the end. Good for a few laughs since he wouldn't even fit their 'standards' now, not that it improves my opinion of him.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2009, 07:45:49 PM by catchfire™ »

Its easy for upper class people and liberals to oppose number 5. Come live a day in my shoes and see what kind of an economic genocide you are creating with your political correctness.

Economic genocide?

If there weren't jobs there, people wouldn't come.

They take jobs that wold normally go to Americans because they work below minimum wage. With 10% unemployment, the argument of "they take jobs Americans won't do" is complete BS.

But that's why I support a guest worker program and path to citizenship, because then they have to be paid minimum wage and thus there is a level playing field.

Besides the reality that a guest worker program would basically formalize migrants as an official 2nd class citizen class you might want to look at the bracero program and how splendidly that was at curbing illegal immigration (hint: it didn't).
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:16 PM »

Its easy for upper class people and liberals to oppose number 5. Come live a day in my shoes and see what kind of an economic genocide you are creating with your political correctness.

Economic genocide?

If there weren't jobs there, people wouldn't come.

They take jobs that wold normally go to Americans because they work below minimum wage. With 10% unemployment, the argument of "they take jobs Americans won't do" is complete BS.

But that's why I support a guest worker program and path to citizenship, because then they have to be paid minimum wage and thus there is a level playing field.

The fact that there's been "economic genocide" is a good reason to oppose closed borders. But a guest worker program is no good. Allow legal immigration quickly and easily to any non-criminals. They'll stop coming when there aren't jobs.
They've already begun to do that, statistics show a huge drop off in influxes. Beyond that I half-agree, we need more skilled laborers and a visa system that makes sense but I don't think letting in tons of uneducated migrants is a good idea.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:39:24 PM »

Honestly go take a look at France right now or a good chunk of west europe for an idea of what that sort of arrangement actually does to everyone involved.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies