Bush's Church Demand he Repent (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:09:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Bush's Church Demand he Repent (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush's Church Demand he Repent  (Read 6578 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: October 19, 2004, 03:40:04 AM »

Hah, hilarious.  I still consider religion a dangerous madness, but I suppose 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' applies even to madmen.

By the way, Bush is a Methodist?  Weird.  I assumed either Episcopalian (true to his roots), or Baptist, true to his pretense.  Maybe Laura is Methodist - seems like one.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 03:56:28 AM »

By the way, Bush is a Methodist?  Weird.  I assumed either Episcopalian (true to his roots), or Baptist, true to his pretense.  Maybe Laura is Methodist - seems like one.

He's *technically* a Methodist (a sop to his wife IIRC). But only *technically*.
He's basically a non-denominational fundamentalist

In other words he's out of control.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:32:52 PM »

Please stop smashing Bush on his religion. At least he has some core values that he believes, unlike his predecessor. Soon you liberals will make atheism a qualification to become president.

I'd like to say its a prerequisite for me voting for a candidate - but alas its a distance dream that a presidential candidate could be openly atheistic and still win.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:33:36 PM »

I was flipping past the religious channel Sunday, and I came acorss an interview with a Canon lawyer, didn't look at his name.  He made it very clear that in the eyes of the Church ANY Catholic who publically supports abortion rights is by default guilty of herasy.  He continued to explain that casting a vote for a candidate who supported abortion WAS equal to public support, since you are seeking to empower a public official whom you know to be for abortion.  He stated that all other issues are subservient to this one.  Although he didn't mention Kerry by name, it was obvious that he was saying a vote for Kerry is herasy.

Not saying that I agree with this, but found it interesting.

Yes, fascinating, the voice of the institution that gave us the Dark Ages is so useful in 2004.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 02:02:04 PM »

Also do not insult the Church, it serves no purpose here.  Perhaps you need to brush up on history, the church did not cause the dark ages by any strech of the imagination.  That was caused by the decline of the Roman empire.  The Church was the only thing holding Europe together at the time.  I suppose that you could argue that Catholicism served to weaken the empire, but there were far more important reasons for its decline.

I think they ran out of lions.  Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »

Actually, ironically, the Moslems kept the great religious books and scripts that the Christian fathers had written. You can thank the scholars in the early muslim faith for keeping europes great ancient texts and the such.

Any 'great texts' came from the pagan Greeks and Romans, not the Christians.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 05:08:20 AM »

Actually, ironically, the Moslems kept the great religious books and scripts that the Christian fathers had written. You can thank the scholars in the early muslim faith for keeping europes great ancient texts and the such.

Any 'great texts' came from the pagan Greeks and Romans, not the Christians.

Even atheist scholars believe the Bible is a great work. Comeon now lets give a LITTLE ground here, ok?

It is absolute crap compared to Aristotle, Plato, Archimedes, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies