High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:36:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating]  (Read 19994 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 04:38:40 PM »

I agree with Marokai's assessment.  And to answer your question, Hashemite, no- I do not believe anything can or should be done.  As I've said numerous times, legislation of this ilk creates more problems than it attempts to solve.  "Zombies" are an unfortunate fact of life here.

There are widely varying definitions of what constitutes a "zombie" in Atlasia.  Personally, I define it as a voter who registers specifically for voting in one election, then disappears.  Or perhaps comes to vote in the next election, barely meeting the post requirements to be eligible to do so.  (I forget what the posting requirement between elections is, someone remind me.)  I do not accept that an active poster in the forum who rarely if ever posts in Atlasia is a "zombie", and I have repeatedly opposed legislation that would eliminate such voters.

By my definition of the term, zombies are by definition newbies.  We have no way of knowing whether a newbie who registers to vote with the minimum post requirement will turn out to be a "zombie", or whether  they will become active participants.  Such registrants are therefore worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with this post. I don't think that there is a "zombie problem" and to the extent that there is one, it's parties registering people from off site by having them spam 50 posts and then voting in the next election and disappearing. The only way to prevent that is stricter posting limits before registration.

On the other hand, I don't think that people who only post rarely in the elections board but still post in the rest of the forum are zombies. Not every voter needs to be fastidiously involved in the political debate here, just like in real life countries some voters are more informed and some take a greater part in civil society and interaction with politicians than others.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »

On the other hand, I don't think that people who only post rarely in the elections board but still post in the rest of the forum are zombies. Not every voter needs to be fastidiously involved in the political debate here, just like in real life countries some voters are more informed and some take a greater part in civil society and interaction with politicians than others.

That's the main problem, yes, defining what constitutes a zombie.

I'm very spectical there's any objective way to do it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 02:09:03 AM »

Apologies, I've been avoiding the debate on this bill and saw someone requested a vote Tongue

I hereby open up a vote on the following amendment, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Abstain

I'm not really drawn into this debate enough to know if these changes are for the better or not, in all honesty. I don't know if this bill is the right thing to do, and I'm generally skeptical of "zombie" reform and so on, even if I understand the motives behind them. I'll abstain on the amendment so as to not stand in the way of the process, but the prospects for my vote for final passage are, admittedly, slim.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »

Nay
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 05:12:49 AM »

Aye on the amendment.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »

Aye
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »

Nay
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

AYE
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »

I'd like to "propose" an Amendment (obviously, since I have no power to do, some Senator should propose it).

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »

Amendment offered:

Section 3: Possibility of Appeal

Whereas:
-The notion of "inactive" specified in Article V, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Atlasian Constitution can be subject to different interpretations, and that the HAEV may potentially abuse this ambiguity by declaring as "inactive" an Atlasian citizen who should not be considered so.
- The Supreme Court's role is to interpret the Constitution in the case when its formulation is ambiguous.

1. An Atlasian Citizen who has been declared inactive by the HAEV shall have the right to appeal said declaration in the week following the HAEV's decision.
2. In the case previously specified, the Supreme Court shall have the power to annul the decision of the HAEV. The procedure used shall be the same as for any court case.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 01:32:08 AM »

I have a problem with a delay of only a week to appeal.

Also, there is no measures about something who was declared inactive, but who is wanting to become active a couple of months after he was declared inactive.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2009, 12:00:26 PM »

I have a problem with a delay of only a week to appeal.

One week is a quite long time, actually. Making it last more would make the inactivity declaration too void.

Well, that's an important concern. I guess the better way to handle this is, for the moment, to rely on the tolerance of future HAEV members, who will let users some delay before declaring them inactive.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »

3 Ayes, 2 Nays, and 1 Abstaining. Could use some more participation.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

Aye
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2009, 12:35:29 AM »

Well, that's an important concern. I guess the better way to handle this is, for the moment, to rely on the tolerance of future HAEV members, who will let users some delay before declaring them inactive.

No, I mean than the poster was really inactive for months, so the HAEV declared him inactive.

Six months later, the poster wants to come back in Atlasia. What is happening?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2009, 06:21:37 AM »

No, I mean than the poster was really inactive for months, so the HAEV declared him inactive.

Six months later, the poster wants to come back in Atlasia. What is happening?

You pointed out an important thing. Anyone who is removed from Registered Voters list can re-register immediately thereafter. It's exactly as if you didn't vote for 3 consecutive elections.
The only inconvenient is that you'll have to wait 10 days before voting. But well, it's not so grave. Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2009, 12:04:29 PM »

Aye ftr on the amendment.

I don't really care for this bill
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »

Abstain ftr
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »

Alright I think a good case can be made for some zombies, like the guy who just registered with the ARC after 50 posts and then when asked what to do was instructed to wait until told to vote
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »

Alright I think a good case can be made for some zombies, like the guy who just registered with the ARC after 50 posts and then when asked what to do was instructed to wait until told to vote

lol!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »

Does that mean you support this bill ? It would be pretty unexpected, bu that would mean Hamilton would've had some positive consequences... Tongue
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2009, 05:45:06 PM »

Does that mean you support this bill ? It would be pretty unexpected, bu that would mean Hamilton would've had some positive consequences... Tongue
As I have told Hash a lot of times, I support zombie reform but troll reform is just as important.  I just don't see any of these as practical.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:41 PM »

As I have told Hash a lot of times, I support zombie reform but troll reform is just as important.  I just don't see any of these as practical.

Troll reform will be dealt with soon, too.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

None of these reforms will accomplish anything.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

None of these reforms will accomplish anything good for me.

Fixed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies