High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:02:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating]  (Read 20062 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: December 02, 2009, 04:38:40 PM »

I agree with Marokai's assessment.  And to answer your question, Hashemite, no- I do not believe anything can or should be done.  As I've said numerous times, legislation of this ilk creates more problems than it attempts to solve.  "Zombies" are an unfortunate fact of life here.

There are widely varying definitions of what constitutes a "zombie" in Atlasia.  Personally, I define it as a voter who registers specifically for voting in one election, then disappears.  Or perhaps comes to vote in the next election, barely meeting the post requirements to be eligible to do so.  (I forget what the posting requirement between elections is, someone remind me.)  I do not accept that an active poster in the forum who rarely if ever posts in Atlasia is a "zombie", and I have repeatedly opposed legislation that would eliminate such voters.

By my definition of the term, zombies are by definition newbies.  We have no way of knowing whether a newbie who registers to vote with the minimum post requirement will turn out to be a "zombie", or whether  they will become active participants.  Such registrants are therefore worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with this post. I don't think that there is a "zombie problem" and to the extent that there is one, it's parties registering people from off site by having them spam 50 posts and then voting in the next election and disappearing. The only way to prevent that is stricter posting limits before registration.

On the other hand, I don't think that people who only post rarely in the elections board but still post in the rest of the forum are zombies. Not every voter needs to be fastidiously involved in the political debate here, just like in real life countries some voters are more informed and some take a greater part in civil society and interaction with politicians than others.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Majority party will not be allowed to determine who gets to vote. Is this Saddam's Iraq?

I like to think it's Lief's Atlasia, but frankly I've been disappointed in the number of statues built in my honor.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »

Can some, in like a paragraph or 100 words or so, explain to me what this bill will do? Because I am wary of creating more bureaucracy to solve a problem that does not exist.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:11:25 PM »

For Lief (and anyone else): This body, made up of three members, will be appointed by the President and confirmed by two-thirds of the Senate. They will then form guidelines by which to judge whether individuals can be judged to be what we term "zombies" that are detrimental to the game. These guidelines and all future edits must be passed by a two-thirds vote of the Senate. The body may then only judge someone to be inactive and remove them by a unanimous vote. At this point, the ruling may be appealed by the affected individual to the Supreme Court, which may overrule this body for overstepping its guidelines or any other illegal action.

Thank you. Would these people have to be citizens who currently do not hold office? And why does the Senate feel it needs to give away its authority to pass these "guidelines" regarding zombies?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »

The debate is cause by people who are not Senators, and who don't bring anything contructive.

um... excuse me? If apparently my questions aren't "constructive" then I can just veto this silly bill like I had originally planned.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »

Well, my questions are still unanswered despite the pushiness of some people here to end debate immediately. And at the moment I'm inclined to agree with Fritz, as I have been since this bill was introduced.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:31:56 PM »

X Lief
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies