Regional Self-Determination Amendment [At Final Vote]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:34:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional Self-Determination Amendment [At Final Vote]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Regional Self-Determination Amendment [At Final Vote]  (Read 17867 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:11 PM »

Opposition to this from the regionalists would make absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's the ultimate regional rights reform proposal, it leaves everything to the regions to decide. Opposition to such an idea doesn't show support for regional rights, it supports tyranny.

You're talking about the RPP, Marokai... They love tyranny, populism, and fascism.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 11:50:29 PM »

A Senate "Partnership"? While I'm interested in the idea, this proposal seems like a more moderate proposal in the discussions of abolishing Regional Senate Seats.

It's voluntary.

I read. It just seems like that is a possibility if that is passed.

That just sounds conspiratorial to me. That has nothing to do with this proposal.

Let's just stick to this topic this time.

A possible prognosis isn't relevant to the proposal? It was merely a question. I'm not saying that is your aim, I'm just analyzing a possible result.

Pointing out the possible results of passing this amendment makes you a conspiracy theorist, apparently. Tongue

That isn't a possible result.

Because there is a section that specifically forbids all five regions from entering into a partnership?

Why should there be?

You fascists would love to prevent the regions from choosing their own method of representation, wouldn't you?

There's nothing wrong with allowing, say, the Pacific and Midwest to merge Senate elections so that the few conservatives in the Pacific might get to have a voice in determining representation.

So you admit that it is possible, even if, as Senator Marokai Blue says, it is unlikely.

It's voluntary and temporary. What is the big deal?

It strikes me as the perfect vehicle for people who want to abolish the regional Senate seats. I think that should be pointed out; doesn't mean it has to be "OMG THEYRE ATTAKING TEH REGIONS". On a minor note, I don't see where temporary comes in, except for the fact that regions can withdraw from partnerships.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »

A Senate "Partnership"? While I'm interested in the idea, this proposal seems like a more moderate proposal in the discussions of abolishing Regional Senate Seats.

It's voluntary.

That just sounds conspiratorial to me. That has nothing to do with this proposal.

A possible prognosis isn't relevant to the proposal? It was merely a question. I'm not saying that is your aim, I'm just analyzing a possible result.

Pointing out the possible results of passing this amendment makes you a conspiracy theorist, apparently. Tongue

Because there is a section that specifically forbids all five regions from entering into a partnership?

Why should there be?

You fascists would love to prevent the regions from choosing their own method of representation, wouldn't you?

There's nothing wrong with allowing, say, the Pacific and Midwest to merge Senate elections so that the few conservatives in the Pacific might get to have a voice in determining representation.

So you admit that it is possible, even if, as Senator Marokai Blue says, it is unlikely.

It strikes me as the perfect vehicle for people who want to abolish the regional Senate seats. I think that should be pointed out; doesn't mean it has to be "OMG THEYRE ATTAKING TEH REGIONS". On a minor note, I don't see where temporary comes in, except for the fact that regions can withdraw from partnerships.

re-read your own post, then.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »

This Amendment doesn't really do anything, however, PiT. Everything, literally everything, is left to the regions, right down to the voting system they want. This Amendment simply allows regions to decide if they want to form Senate Partnerships or not, anyone can deny a partnership with any other regions if they want, but it lets the regions decide.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 11:54:19 PM »

This Amendment doesn't really do anything, however, PiT. Everything, literally everything, is left to the regions, right down to the voting system they want. This Amendment simply allows regions to decide if they want to form Senate Partnerships or not, anyone can deny a partnership with any other regions if they want, but it lets the regions decide.

Should we continue to entertain the senseless obstructionists?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 11:58:09 PM »

I am currently neutral on this, but it is quite unfair to simply call "conspiracy" when someone makes a good point. The first thing I saw when reading through this and then seeing Hammy's PR-STV comment was, "This allows a majority of each region to get together and abolish regional Senate seats."

I would add a clause to allow regions to withdraw from this partnership.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:39 PM »

I am currently neutral on this, but it is quite unfair to simply call "conspiracy" when someone makes a good point. The first thing I saw when reading through this and then seeing Hammy's PR-STV comment was, "This allows a majority of each region to get together and abolish regional Senate seats."

I would add a clause to allow regions to withdraw from this partnership.

We've already said that we need to find a way to allow withdrawal. I think I simple majority vote by popular referendum (called by the regional legislative body or Governor) should suffice.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

I suspected that Senator Marokai was one of the folks who wanted to use this to abolish regional Senate seats. Obviously I think that if a region enters into a partnership it should also be able to withdraw. That much is basic.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 12:02:27 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

I suspected that Senator Marokai was one of the folks who wanted to use this to abolish regional Senate seats. Obviously I think that if a region enters into a partnership it should also be able to withdraw. That much is basic.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »

Marokai, this sounds like exactly the kind of "change for the sake of change" that you always, always oppose.  I'm a little surprised to see you putting it forward.

I oppose this for the simple reason that I don't see it enhancing the game in any meaningful way.  The nameless "amendment" that is currently failing had more to offer than this, IMO.

If this does pass, I won't really care...I don't think any regions will actually do this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 12:13:19 AM »

This change is to add a clause allowing regions to withdraw from the partnerships:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Marokai, this sounds like exactly the kind of "change for the sake of change" that you always, always oppose.  I'm a little surprised to see you putting it forward.

I oppose this for the simple reason that I don't see it enhancing the game in any meaningful way.  The nameless "amendment" that is currently failing had more to offer than this, IMO.

If this does pass, I won't really care...I don't think any regions will actually do this.

It's not change for changes sake, as it aims itself at a problem: regional seats as they stand, and allows regions to move on their own to increase competition and interest in the respective regions. It barely changes anything for the most part, which is one element of "change for changes sake" I've always opposed. Further, this, unlike other proposals, doesn't include needless new positions or complicated new sections of government.

It's a great idea that I've actually sort of fallen in love with. It's a fantastic idea that is simple, doesn't change very much, doesn't add anything complicated, and allows regions to move to fix a problem if they so desire to.

I beg you to consider this, Fritz.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 12:59:22 AM »

I'm glad to see this has been generating discussion. Smiley  I personally would love to see the Southeast join a partnership, but I doubt that the electorate of my region would agree. Oh well.

Nonetheless, this is the most pro-region thing that's come through the Senate in some time.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 02:39:11 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

So, giving the control of regional elections to regions is an anti-regions proposal?

It is making no sense, honestly!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 02:50:10 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

So, giving the control of regional elections to regions is an anti-regions proposal?

I was trying to point out that it could be co-opted by anti-regionalists. Then there's taking into account Senator Fritz's observation that probably no regions will want to enact partnerships (perhaps unless guided to do so for the purpose of abolishing regional Senate seats).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 02:51:22 AM »

I don't think there's any proof either way that people will enact a partnership, PiT, so it's kind of a stupid point to bring up.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 02:51:54 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

I was trying to point out that it could be co-opted by anti-regionalists. Then there's taking into account Senator Fritz's observation that probably no regions will want to enact partnerships (perhaps unless guided to do so for the purpose of abolishing regional Senate seats).

Regional Senate seats are not in danger... It couldn't pass the Senate. The "amendment amendment" that would have made ratification easier failed in three key regions. Are you dense enough to think I would endanger regional seats without being provoked?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 02:59:55 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

Regional Senate seats are not in danger... It couldn't pass the Senate. The "amendment amendment" that would have made ratification easier failed in three key regions. Are you dense enough to think I would endanger regional seats without being provoked?

Last time I checked, all five regions forming a partnership together would effectively do the same without a Senate vote.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 03:03:08 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

Last time I checked, all five regions forming a partnership together would effectively do the same without a Senate vote.

Under my suggestion, that would require over 60% of voters in each region to approve that. And technically, they would still be regional Senate seats. The regions simply choose a different way of electing their own representation. What is so hard to understand about that? And you know what? If 60% of people in every region want something, it's hard to make a case against it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 03:10:17 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

Yes, but I have a difficulty imagining a region who voted against the abolition of regional Senate seats voting for a partnership including the five regions. What is the problem with people in regions deciding?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 03:17:40 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

Yes, but I have a difficulty imagining a region who voted against the abolition of regional Senate seats voting for a partnership including the five regions. What is the problem with people in regions deciding?

The thing is that in that case it would just be like an outright amendment to abolish them only without the Senate involved. The odd thing about this amendment is that it gives regions a power that they don't really have an impetus to use. It would be like empowering the federal government by passing an amendment allowing the Senate to vote its powers away to another federal branch or the regions whenever it wished to.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 03:21:49 AM »

Full support.

Opposition to this on regional rights grounds is hypocrisy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 03:22:35 AM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

Under my suggestion, that would require over 60% of voters in each region to approve that. And technically, they would still be regional Senate seats. The regions simply choose a different way of electing their own representation. What is so hard to understand about that? And you know what? If 60% of people in every region want something, it's hard to make a case against it.

They would effectively be at-large, since they'd be elected in basically the same way as the Class B seats. Also, if public opinion is that strongly in favor of making the switch across the board, passing an amendment through the Senate should be possible without much trouble.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 03:22:42 AM »

Once again PiT proves he doesn't understand anything. What, precisely, does this get rid of as you seem to be implying? Every analogy you come up with involved some sort of implication that we would be abolishing something?

Regions wouldn't be abolishing anything at all, they would simply combine their voters and their Senate seat with another region, creating two positions and doubling their voting bloc. You seem to act like this would suddenly abolish a regional Senate seat somewhere and shackle voters. It does no such thing.

The key to the opposition here is, PiT is coming up with tricky and unusual reasons to oppose it so the clear hypocrisy of regionalists not wanting to allow regions more control in their own system of representation isn't shown. Any regional rights supporter would be in favor of allowing this, and yet the same crowd is shaping up with predictable opposition on reasons that make little sense.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 03:23:51 AM »

Full support.

Opposition to this on regional rights grounds is hypocrisy.

The Ridiculous Prude Parody just likes to serve as an obstructionist bloc instead of working toward real reform like the party I am a member of.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 03:23:52 AM »

I'm confused now. Why are regionalists opposing giving regions more choice?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies