Regional Self-Determination Amendment [At Final Vote]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:46:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional Self-Determination Amendment [At Final Vote]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Regional Self-Determination Amendment [At Final Vote]  (Read 17826 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2009, 06:14:58 PM by Sen. Marokai Blue »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Marokai Blue
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:12:53 PM »

The language of this bill sucks. Someone might want to change it to this:

Regional Senate Partnership Amendment

1. Any region may enter into a Senate Partnership with any other region, or regions, following approval by all regions in question by popular referendum.

2. In these Senate Partnerships regions shall combine their regional Senate elections, electing a number of Senators equal to the amount of regions in the Senate Partnership simultaneously.

3. The voting system in the combined Senate elections must be agreed upon by all regions involved in the Senate Partnerships.

I'd also suggest amending number three to require the PR-STV system used in at-large elections.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »

Alright, this deserves explaining:

Say the Northeast and the Midwest want to enter into a Senate Partnership. Both regions hold a referendum seeing if the people want to enter into the partnership, and if both agree, then they enter the partnership together.

In the regional Senate elections, their positions are then combined. The people of the Midwest and Northeast now elect a combined number of 2 Senators, and the voters of the Northeast and Midwest vote together, like an at-large election.

The same sort of proposal could be made between, say, the Southeast and the Mideast, the Northeast, Midwest, and Pacific, or any number of combinations, and the process works the same.

The language of this bill sucks. Someone might want to change it to this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd also suggest amending number three to require the PR-STV system used in at-large elections.

Yes it was very hastily written, I was given the idea earlier in the day, but I found it fascinating and simply had to get it on the floor as soon as I could. Consider it amended by my hand unless someone objects.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »

Of course, some work will also have to be written on if a region wants to dissolve/leave the partnership, but I think this is a fantastic idea.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »

Of course, some work will also have to be written on if a region wants to dissolve/leave the partnership, but I think this is a fantastic idea.

I think if a region were to leave the partnership, that might undermine the goal I think you have in mind in proposing this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »

I think if a region were to leave the partnership, that might undermine your goal in proposing this.

What so they should enter the partnership and be trapped in there for all eternity?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »

I think if a region were to leave the partnership, that might undermine your goal in proposing this.

Regions have a right to merge elections. Don't let the federal government dictate how a region can elect its own representative, PiT.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:02:58 PM »

Regions have a right to merge elections. Don't let the federal government dictate how a region can elect its own representative, PiT.

Yes it's a very pro-regional rights proposal. Wink
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 11:11:38 PM »

A Senate "Partnership"? While I'm interested in the idea, this idea seems like a more moderate proposal in the discussions of abolishing Regional Senate Seats.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 11:12:07 PM »

A Senate "Partnership"? While I'm interested in the idea, this proposal seems like a more moderate proposal in the discussions of abolishing Regional Senate Seats.

It's voluntary.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »

A Senate "Partnership"? While I'm interested in the idea, this proposal seems like a more moderate proposal in the discussions of abolishing Regional Senate Seats.

It allows regions to make the decision to join their elections or not. There is no abolishing of any seats or attempt by the federal government to make them at-large.

This proposal follows a key regionalist line: It lets the regions decide.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »

It's voluntary.

I read. It just seems like that is a possibility if that is passed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 11:14:34 PM »

It's voluntary.

That just sounds conspiratorial to me. That has nothing to do with this proposal.

Let's just stick to this topic this time.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »

It's voluntary.

Then it will be the regions and the people that eliminate that representation, not the federal bullies.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »

It allows regions to make the decision to join their elections or not. There is no abolishing of any seats or attempt by the federal government to make them at-large.

This proposal follows a key regionalist line: It lets the regions decide.

Yes, I see that it lets the regions decide. It is an interesting concept, but It seems like a far-off possibility is the voluntary abolition of Regional Senate seats. I'm just curious about the idea. I'm interested in how this proceeds.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »

It's voluntary.

That just sounds conspiratorial to me. That has nothing to do with this proposal.

A possible prognosis isn't relevant to the proposal? It was merely a question. I'm not saying that is your aim, I'm just analyzing a possible result.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 11:23:22 PM »

It's voluntary.

A possible prognosis isn't relevant to the proposal? It was merely a question. I'm not saying that is your aim, I'm just analyzing a possible result.

Pointing out the possible results of passing this amendment makes you a conspiracy theorist, apparently. Tongue
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 11:27:52 PM »

It's voluntary.

Pointing out the possible results of passing this amendment makes you a conspiracy theorist, apparently. Tongue

That isn't a possible result.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »

It's voluntary.

Because there is a section that specifically forbids all five regions from entering into a single partnership?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »

It's voluntary.

Because there is a section that specifically forbids all five regions from entering into a partnership?

Why should there be?

You fascists would love to prevent the regions from choosing their own method of representation, wouldn't you?

There's nothing wrong with allowing, say, the Pacific and Midwest to merge Senate elections so that the few conservatives in the Pacific might get to have a voice in determining representation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34:45 PM »

It's voluntary.

Because there is a section that specifically forbids all five regions from entering into a single partnership?

That's rather unlikely, though, and even if through some miracle it happened, it would be the choice of every single regional government. I would be hesitant to allow my region to enter into any partnership, I'm sure others have similar reservations, but still support the idea.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 11:35:42 PM »

It's voluntary.

That's rather unlikely, though, and even if through some miracle it happened, it would be the choice of every single regional government. I would be hesitant to allow my region to enter into any partnership, I'm sure others have similar reservations, but still support the idea.

Not even the government. The bill requires popular referendum. That being said, we should probably find a way to ensure that the referendum obtains a supermajority of about 60%.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »

It's voluntary.

Because there is a section that specifically forbids all five regions from entering into a partnership?

Why should there be?

You fascists would love to prevent the regions from choosing their own method of representation, wouldn't you?

There's nothing wrong with allowing, say, the Pacific and Midwest to merge Senate elections so that the few conservatives in the Pacific might get to have a voice in determining representation.

So you admit that it is possible, even if, as Senator Marokai Blue says, it is unlikely.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:57 PM »

It's voluntary.

Why should there be?

So you admit that it is possible, even if, as Senator Marokai Blue says, it is unlikely.

It's voluntary and temporary. What is the big deal?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 11:46:33 PM »

Opposition to this from the regionalists would make absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's the ultimate regional rights reform proposal, it leaves everything to the regions to decide. Opposition to such an idea doesn't show support for regional rights, it supports tyranny.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies