True Justice: Gantt beats Helms in 1990!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:09:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  True Justice: Gantt beats Helms in 1990!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: How the hell should win the election?
Mario Cuomo

George HW Bush

Ross H. Perot

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: True Justice: Gantt beats Helms in 1990!  (Read 36015 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 09:02:41 PM »

Update should be up tonight.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2009, 01:19:29 PM by Mechadouche »

Finally the moment you all have been waiting for:

The 1992 Democratic Party Primaries:

Due to the success of the Gulf War, President George Bush's approval ratings skyrocketed to over 90%, a record. Due to this situation many highly visible Democratic contenders like Massachusetts Senator Edward M. Kennedy and Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen would decide to stay away from the race. However, after getting a call of encouragement from North Carolina Senator Harvey Gannt to run, New York Governor Mario Cuomo would throw his hat in the ring with former California Governor Jerry Brown, former Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas, Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa, Governor Douglas Wilder of Virginia, and the then little known Governor Bill Clinton of Arkansas. After the entrance of Cuomo into the race, the polls became lopsided in favor of Cuomo because of his immense popularity since the 1984 Democratic National Convention Speech. Many people would be surprised at Cuomo's entry, with SNL even going as far as making a skit with many high profile Democrats coming up with reasons why they shouldn't lose to George Bush and then a highly energetic Cuomo starts jumping up and down screaming "pick me! Pick me! Pick me!"
However, with the beginnings of a small economic recession the Democratic candidates became more motivated while campaigning in the primaries. Due to home state advantage, Senator Harkin would win the first primary in Iowa:

Iowa:
Harkin: 68.78%
Cuomo: 22.81%
Tsongas: 5.21%
Others: 3.2%

Green=Harkin

The next contest would end up being highly competitive between Cuomo, Clinton, Tsongas, and surprisingly Brown. All four candidates in one way or another had appeal to the libertarian base of New Hampshire and would have what many commentators called "an all out war" for New Hampshire's votes. However, an appearance by a woman named Gennifer Flowers claiming that Bill Clinton had an affair with her would dynamically change the race, as Clinton would drop out a few days later due to low polling leaving the race between Brown, Tsongas, and Cuomo for New Hampshire. Thanks to a last minute endorsement from Senator Harvey Gantt of North Carolina (who many expected to endorse Douglas Wilder), Cuomo was able to score an upset victory over Tsongas in neighboring New Hampshire.

New Hampshire:
Cuomo: 31.08%
Tsongas: 30.86%
Brown: 27.68%
Others: 10.38%

Green=Harkin
Red=Cuomo

After this victory Cuomo would gain a huge edge over Tsongas, who was viewed as a threat to his success in the northeast.

Primaries to be continued.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2009, 10:09:46 PM by Mechadouche »

As a result Cuomo takes a strong lead ahead of Brown and Wilder who are his closest competitors, though Kerrey is still in the race.

In a bit of news nobody cared about, Kerrey won in the primary in South Dakota:

Who cares about percentages?

Green=Harkin
red=Cuomo
White=Kerrey

Shortly after that, on March 3rd, 3 primaries in the states of Maryland, Georgia, and Colorado were held. Despite a strong edge on the competition, Cuomo would only win Maryland as Wilder claimed Georgia and Brown carried Colorado:

Green=Harkin
Blue=Wilder
White=Kerrey
Red=Cuomo
Yellow=Brown

I've decided to skip percentages (they always give me a headache).

In the days leading up to Super Tuesday the Democratic candidates for president would pull out all stops to winning the nomination. ALthough Cuomo was favored to win he faced strong opposition from Wilder, a popular southern governor running as a "New Democrat" reformist, and Brown who was running off of a semi libertarian platform.

On March 7th, Arizona and South Carolina held their primaries, Brown won Arizona and Wilder won South Carolina:

The sudden emergence of Brown and Wilder posed a threat to Cuomo's dominance and Tsongas decides to drop out of the Primary race due to Cuomo pretty much taking his power base in the northeast. Afterwards Tsongas would come out and endorse Brown. Then Super Tuesday (March 10th, 1992) came, the result state by state was:

Massachusetts=Cuomo
Rhode Island=Cuomo
Hawaii=Cuomo

Missouri=Kerrey
Oklahoma=Kerrey
Tennessee=Wilder
Mississippi=Wilder
Florida=Wilder
Louisiana=Wilder

Texas=Brown
Maine=Brown

THe Super Tuesday strategy, implemented by southern Democrats in the 80's to give more moderate Democrats a chance at gaining momentum, seemed to help Wilder quite a bit as he managed to take most of the southern vote. However, the biggest story of the day had to be Jerry Brown winning Texas, although polls showed him behind both Cuomo and Wilder who were neck in neck in the state. Brown's victory in Texas, as well as Wilder picking up steam in the south, would change the course of the primariy season. Cuomo's lead also decreases a little due to Harkin and Kerrey still running in the Midwest. Wilder would also end up narrowly losing Oklahoma to Kerrey.

Green=Harkin
Blue=Wilder
White=Kerrey
Red=Cuomo
Yellow=Brown

When asked by the press if he was going to change his mind about endorsing Cuomo over Wilder Gantt would respond:

While it would be historic for me to help another African American make it to the White House, for the sake of principle and what I stand for I find myself more in agreement with Mario Cuomo. For that reason, I stand by my initial endorsement of Cuomo.
Radio talkinghead Rush Limbaugh, usually a brash criticizer of Gantt, would applaud him for "seeing beyond race" in the presidential primaries.

I suck at getting delegate counts so if anyone can help with that that would be cool.

To be continued.
Historico
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »

Nobody really cares about the Delegates counts, but Ben's pretty good at figuring out totals so he may be able to help you out on that. I do have a problem with your Primary figuration...I think Cuomo would have effectivley pushed Tsongas out of the Race so he could atleast lock down his home region of the Northeast. Cuomo is a strong candidate not necessarily for his appeal to the South but his potential to bring back those Reagan Democrats(Blue Collar, Catholic, White Ethnic Voters in the Rust Belt). Wilder without Clinton should still be able to bring in the South(Look at Jesse Jackson's Primary wins from '84 and '88) or even be stronger than Jesse due to his actual Government Expeirence and his DLC Moderate Policies. Brown should be able to hold the Far West. Kerry and Harkin should be able to split the Midwest and some of the votess. But I actually think '92 could have resulted in a Deadlocked Convention, in which Cuomo could clinch the nomination by getting one of the candidates to endorese him
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »

Nobody really cares about the Delegates counts, but Ben's pretty good at figuring out totals so he may be able to help you out on that. I do have a problem with your Primary figuration...I think Cuomo would have effectivley pushed Tsongas out of the Race so he could atleast lock down his home region of the Northeast. Cuomo is a strong candidate not necessarily for his appeal to the South but his potential to bring back those Reagan Democrats(Blue Collar, Catholic, White Ethnic Voters in the Rust Belt). Wilder without Clinton should still be able to bring in the South(Look at Jesse Jackson's Primary wins from '84 and '88) or even be stronger than Jesse due to his actual Government Expeirence and his DLC Moderate Policies. Brown should be able to hold the Far West. Kerry and Harkin should be able to split the Midwest and some of the votess. But I actually think '92 could have resulted in a Deadlocked Convention, in which Cuomo could clinch the nomination by getting one of the candidates to endorese him

Interesting.
I shall modify my entries to make this possible, this sounds like an epic idea.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »

I never used delegate count in my TLs too
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »

They aren't necessary at all, but they can be a nice touch.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 05:20:43 PM »

They aren't necessary at all, but they can be a nice touch.

Since I'm unable to count them, I just post who's on lead Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »

After Super Tuesday I would have to say that Cuomo still has a lead, though very very very small, over Wilder.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »

Don't worry, this timeline will resume soon. Expect a string of updates after next week once my finals are over.
Trust me, the primaries are going to get INTENSE.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »

Don't worry, this timeline will resume soon. Expect a string of updates after next week once my finals are over.

Update the timeline with Alfalfa Bill and Cotton Tom too
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »

Update the timeline with Alfalfa Bill and Cotton Tom too

In due time.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 01:47:35 AM by Mechadouche »

NOTE: I changed Missouri to go for Kerrey due to his appeal in the Midwest.
After Super Tuesday the Democratic Primaries became a dead heat (in the polls) between Cuomo, Wilder, and Brown. Super Tuesday had been a major momentum boost for Wilder and Brown, slowing down Cuomo's strong momentum the weeks leading up to it. Plus, Douglas Wilder received an endorsement from Bill Clinton and Jerry Brown received one from Paul Tsongas, both of who just dropped out of the race.

March 17th, 1992 primaries:

Michigan=Cuomo
Illinois=Cuomo

Virginia=Wilder
Wyoming=Brown

Green=Harkin
Red=Cuomo
White=Kerrey
Blue=Wilder
Yellow=Brown

A very predictable Primary Day that managed to help Cuomo regain the lead. I seems as though the primaries were becoming more and more regional.

(This is unfinished at the moment, I have to go back and edit a few posts first)

Primaries from March 19th-:

March 19th: North Dakota: Harkin
March 24th: Connecticut: Cuomo
March 31st: Vermont: Brown

Green=Harkin
Red=Cuomo
White=Kerrey
Blue=Wilder
Yellow=Brown

Vermont, always known to be independently minded, would vote for Brown by a very small margin over Cuomo. Harkin, like Kerrey, would be a pain in the ass to whoever was running in the Midwest and steal North Dakota.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 02:35:34 AM »

April Primaries:
Tom Harkin drops out of race and endorses Cuomo.

April 2nd, 1992:

Alaska: Brown

April 7th, 1992:

Kansas: Kerrey
Minnesota: Cuomo
Wisconsin: Cuomo
New York: Cuomo

Nevada: Brown
Utah: Brown

April 28th, 1992:

Pennsylvania: Cuomo

Primary Map as of April 30th

As the primary season moves on the regions of the country become more and more polarized around their candidates. Cuomo would be in the lead in the number of delegates due to his success in the northern states.

May Primaries:
Kerrey drops out, endorses Wilder

May 5th, 1992:
D.C.: Cuomo
North Carolina: Cuomo

Indiana: Wilder
Delaware: Wilder

May 12th, 1992:
West Virginia: Cuomo
Nebraska: Wilder

May 19th, 1992:
Washington: Brown
Oregon: Brown

May 26th, 1992:
Idaho: Brown
Kentucky: Wilder

May 27, 1992:
Arkansas: Wilder

Primary Map as of May 31st

Cuomo, with the help of Harvey Gantt, would pull of a major win in North Carolina, where Wilder was ahead in the polls. However, due to the drop outs of Harkin and Kerrey both Brown and Wilder become much stronger in the polls. The end is only a month away and it already looks like the convention will be deadlocked!
Historico
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 12:19:30 PM »

Can't wait to see what happens look like all eyes are going to be on California and Ohio before going in to the convention...Keep it comming
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 08:12:24 PM by Gahner Ree Haus »

June 1992 Democratic Primary: The Clash of the Titans

Never before had there been such a struggle within a party's primaries to see which candidate would gain dominance like the 1992 Democratic Party's primary. It seemed that each election season the divisions, the factions within the Democratic Party only became more and more vocal about their disagreements with one another and would take turn their primary battles into primary war zones to see which faction would gain dominance. The Democratic Party, the "Wide Tent Party", in June of 1992, would enter a state of civil war between it's conservative Southern, liberal Northern, and libertarian Western factions. It seemed that already, just a month before the Democratic National Convention, that not only would the general election would be a realignment, but the primaries themselves would........and there was only one man who could bring about the peace between the factions: North Carolina Senator Harvey Gantt
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 02:09:39 AM »

Finally an update!

June 1992 Primary: "The Crap Hits the Fan"

June 2nd, 1992:
After weeks of campaigning, June the 2nd finally came. All three candidates: Cuomo, Wilder, and Brown all would pour in every amount of resource into the remaining primary races to gain the nomination. The results would prove to be deciding:

New Jersey: Cuomo
Ohio: Wilder
Alabama: Wilder

New Mexico: Brown
Montana: Brown
California: Brown

The result of the June 2nd, 1992 primary would be one that would go down in the history books as leading to one of the biggest deadlocks in history leading up to the Democratic National Convention. For the first time in a long time the nomination came down to three top name contenders who all refused to back down until the day of the convention. The 1992 Democratic National Convention, many feared, may become another 1968 unless cooler heads managed to prevail come July 13th-16th. Who would prevail? The liberal standard bearers under Cuomo? The moderate New Democrats under Wilder? Or the libertarian western Democratic faction under Brown? The 1992 election, as well as the future of the Democratic Party itself would depend on the results of the Democratic National Convention.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 09:09:40 AM »

Jerry Brown in 1992!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »

Vermont, always known to be independently minded, would vote for Brown by a very small margin over Cuomo. Harkin, like Kerrey, would be a pain in the ass to whoever was running in the Midwest and steal North Dakota.

Yes, I remember Antonio attacking me this summer for Brown defeating Mondale in VT
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »

Update coming soon: The Democratic National Convention

You will never see this one coming.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 12:49:53 AM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 02:17:56 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2010, 01:30:32 AM by Howard Baker »

Democratic National Convention 1992 July 13th-16th

The Candidates:
Governor Mario Cuomo of New York

Governor Douglas Wilder of Virginia

Former Governor Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown Jr. of California

After more than a month after the close of the Democratic Primaries the Democratic National Convention was to take place. The result of the deadlocked primary results, with neither New York Governor Mario Cuomo, Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder, or former California Governor Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown Jr. gaining a majority of Primary delegates, would result in the first Democratic National Convention since 1980 where the presidential nominee wasn't decided until the day of the nomination. Many people feared that due to the different factions of the Democratic Party being unable to compromise on a candidate up to this point that the result would be a chaotic national convention on par with the 1968 Democratic National Convention. Due to these concerns all three candidates urged their supporters that would be at the National Convention to try to uphold a calm atmosphere to prevent such chaos. On the first day, July 13th, the convention was, considering the circumstances surrounding it, quite calm.
However, the balloting was anything but peaceful the first day as the Convention went through four ballots with still no strong frontrunner:

Democratic National Convention. 4,201 total votes .2,103 votes needed for nomination. Although Paul Tsongas dropped out of the primaries his name still made the ballot (and got a surprisingly high number of votes on the first ballot), as did Bill Clinton, Bob Kerrey, Robert P. Casey, and even a vote each for former Tennessee Senator Al Gore and North Carolina Senator Harvey Gantt.
July 13th, 1992:

First Ballot:
New York Governor Mario Cuomo: 1688 votes
Virgina Governor Douglas Wilder: 1228 votes
Former California Governor Jerry Brown: 965 votes
Former Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas: 188 votes
Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey: 52 votes
Arkansas Governor William Clinton: 48 votes
Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey: 22 votes
Colorado Representative Pat Schroeder: 6 votes
Former Irvine, CA Mayor Larry Agran: 2 votes
North Carolina Senator Harvey Gantt: 1 vote
Former Tennessee Senator Albert Gore Jr: 1 vote
Cuomo, due to institutional support going in would begin the balloting with a strong lead over Wilder and Brown. However, it should be noted that the votes were lower for Wilder and Brown due to the number of other candidates who got votes on the ballot.

Before the second ballot Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and Bob Kerrey would release their delegates to Wilder while Larry Agran, Pat Schroeder, and Paul Tsongas would release their delegates to Jerry Brown. Also, Harvey Gantt would release his one delegate to Mario Cuomo.
Second Ballot:
New York Governor Mario Cuomo: 1542 votes
Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder: 1382 votes
Former California Governor Jerry Brown: 1173 votes
Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey: 103 votes
Uncommitted: 1 vote
With all other candidates pledging their delegates to either Cuomo, Wilder, or Brown, Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey decides not to throw his support behind any of the tickets as a symbolic protest against the absence of a pro-life stance in either Cuomo, Wilder, or Brown's platform. Although his chances of getting the nomination were nil, Casey would stay in for the long haul.......

Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey, the Pro-Life Democrat would experience a rise in delegate count in the second round of balloting. Although many in the convention dismissed his chances at winning the nod, he would surprise many at how strongly he would perform against the three top runners.

Third Ballot:
Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder: 1351 votes
New York Governor Mario Cuomo: 1221 votes
Former California Governor Jerry Brown: 1215 votes
Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey: 410 votes
Uncommitted: 4 votes
For the first time in balloting Wilder overtakes Cuomo. The Third Ballot would also be the closest ballot between the three top runners, as Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey managed to stage a successful insurgency movement at the convention and steal plenty of Pro-Life Cuomo and Wilder delegates. However, Casey was yet to reach his peak in terms of delegate votes.

Before the fourth round of balloting Casey would receive an endorsement from the floor from Oklahoma Senator David Boren and Former Peace Corps Director and McGovern runningmate Sargent Shriver. However, former US Senators Frank Church of Idaho, Mike Gravel of Alaska, Fred Harris of Oklahoma, and 1972 Presidential nominee (and Shriver's runningmate) George McGovern all endorsed Jerry Brown, giving him a sudden surge in the balloting.
Fourth Ballot
Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder: 1342 votes
Former California Governor Jerry Brown: 1340 votes
New York Governor Mario Cuomo: 921 votes
Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey: 595 votes
Uncommitted: 3 votes
Due to the latest rounds of endorsements from men many considered to be revolutionaries of modern day American liberalism towards Jerry Brown, as well as the exodus of prolife northern Democrats towards Casey, Cuomo suddenly found himself fighting to stay from last place with Robert Casey when just hours ago he had a commanding lead. It seemed as if though the liberal standard bearers were fighting a losing battle this convention. However, with both Wilder and Brown still far away from capturing the nomination Cuomo, and maybe even Casey, could still have a shot at capturing the nomination if the convention doesn't reach the point of becoming deadlocked at the 10th ballot by July 15th.

5th ballot results and more will be covered on next few updates.
Historico
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »

To quote Mayor Daley..."No More than Five" lol, Nice and Consise update on the alt Democratic Convention the Democratic Party seems to be thoroughly divided which wont be good news going into the election against Bush and Perot. Maybe Casey, finally gives in and throws his support behind fellow catholic Cuomo and we can call this thing a day lol...Keep it comming
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2010, 01:14:04 AM by Howard Baker »

President Bush attacks the divisions in the Democratic ranks at the Democratic National Convention July 14th, 1992

This is CNN News, today while at a campaign stop in Minneapolis, President George HW Bush attacked what he saw as the "great division within the Democratic ranks" at the recent Democratic National Convention.

President George HW Bush:

These Democrats are telling you that they want to bring change to this nation, that the Republican Party has brought and will continue to bring failure to this nation, yet they have failed to even keep their own party in order. If the Democrats, who can't even keep their own political house in order really believe they can lead this nation through these hard times, then my fellow Americans they are so far gone from reality to step up to such a high position. I believe that I speak for all Americans when I say that we have "had enough" of Democratic failures at national unity these past twelve years, the American people will not put blind faith in a party that can't even unite it's members behind a common ticket.

President Bush's comments would be damning to the Democrats, as approval for the Democrats bombed due to the divisiveness of the first day of the National Convention while approval for Bush climbed up from it's low points in recent months due to a souring economy and the candidacy of Ross Perot.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2010, 01:13:27 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2010, 03:35:29 AM by Howard Baker »

The Speech of Harvey Gantt's career:

After seeing how deadlocked the convention was thanks to the sudden emergence of Robert P. Casey, Governor of Pennsylvania on the 4th ballot, Harvey Gantt would approach the stage of the Democratic National Convention and make this stirring speech:

"Brothers, sisters, today we are gathered together at a most difficult crossroads, that crossroads being who will we nominate as President of the Democratic Party, the party of the people. We have had a long tradition of upholding this principle, of being a voice for the disaffected, those who are without the power to provide for themselves! Today, the objective we face couldn't be more difficult, for as this country teethers on economic recession, the Republicans are using every advantage they have to parlay the message that this party is not united in it's purpose, that the Democratic Party is on the brink of anarchy and self destruction to be trusted with handling the crises of our times, to be trusted with the welfare of the people of this nation. In our own disunity we have given them everything they could possibly want in gaining support for their failed agenda which has caused despair, both economically and spiritually, for millions of Americans around the nation. Now do we continue on this course, do we continue this petty deadlock and further bring the Republican dream of 4 more years in the White House to being fulfilled, or do we make a stand do we united behind a common ticket to battle the politics of yesteryear that has so caused this despair to millions of Americans? I say now is the time to unite behind a common ticket, behind the one leader in this party who has had the courage, however unpopular it may have been at the time, to decry the selfish social darwinism of trickle-down economics, the inhumanity of cutting social spending, the man who has been speaking up for those who don't have the resources or the means to speak up for themselves, the man who has been the mouthpiece of millions and millions of disaffected powerless Americans across this country, a man who has helped unite our common cause for human decency together at this time in our history. Ladies and Gentlemen, (points toward Mario Cuomo) only one man has the ability, the drive, the heart to lead this "big tent" of the believers of human decency to victory, that man is Governor Mario Cuomo of New York. Thank you and God Bless."

Gantt gets a thunderous ovation from the Cuomo delegates and even quite a few from delegates in the other camps. Gantt's speech to the DNC masses would be called "the ultimate game changer".

Almost immediately after Gantt's speech before the DNC, Robert P. Casey approaches the stage:

"After much thought and consideration, I Governor Robert P. Casey of Pennsylvania have decided to release the total of my delegates to Governor Mario Cuomo of New York for President of the United States of America!"

Pennsylvania Governor Robert P. Casey, after surging through the polls due to pro-life Democrats giving him a last minute push at the convention, releases all of his delegates to New York Governor Mario Cuomo.

Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder also takes the stage after Robert P. Casey:

"I, Governor Douglas Wilder of Virginia, also would like to announce the release of my delegates to Governor Mario Cuomo of New York for President of the United States of America."

Virginia Governor Douglas Wilder, after a hard fought campaign against Mario Cuomo and Jerry Brown, releases his delegates to Mario Cuomo on the fifth ballot of the Democratic National Convention.

And then, thirty minutes later, former California Governor Jerry Brown approaches the stage with a sort of sullen look on his face. After 16 years of trying, three attempts at the presidency, and he failed. It was a most bittersweet moment, for while he had failed to win the nomination his party would finally have a presidential nominee:

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is with the utmost humility that I come before you today, at this moment, after all the years of trying to achieve the dream of becoming President of these United States, to give all of my delegates to New York Governor Mario Cuomo. I wish nothing but success for Cuomo and this great party which I have called home all of my life and I wish that the cry for civil liberties is not ignored in this soon to be great administration. Ladies and gentlemen, with great pleasure I give all of these delegates to New York Governor Mario Cuomo for President of the United States of America."

Former California Governor Jerry Brown would release all of his delegates to Mario Cuomo after a hard fought primary battle and a deadlocked Democratic National Convention. (Sorry Giovanni Sad)

After the fifth ballot is passed, with unanimous votes, Governor Mario Cuomo of New York is nominated the President of the United States of America for the Democratic Party.

New York Governor Mario Cuomo, the 1992 Democratic Party nominee for President of the United States

Once on the stage, Cuomo makes a very gracious speech directed towards North Carolina Senator Harvey Gantt:

"Ladies and gentlemen of this fine convention, there are many who I would like to thank for what has been accomplished here tonight, but there is one individual here tonight who I believe deserves special recognition. One individual who before this election cycle began called me up and told me to give this thing a go after many years of putting it off. A man who has been with this campaign through thick and through thin, a man who when it seemed all was lost for this campaign brought it up like a Phoenix from the ashes to victory, this man is Senator Harvey Gantt of North Carolina. And I would be honored if the honourable Senator of North Carolina would come up to this stage to share in this victory AS MY CHOICE FOR VICE PRESIDENT!

The DNC erupts after Cuomo's speech as Harvey Gantt rushes to the stage, wraps an arm around Cuomo's shoulder as Cuomo hands him the microphone.

"Governor Cuomo, I would be most honoured to accept your offer to be Vice President on this most awesome ticket. It is with great privilege that I be on the same ticket as the man who more than any other has had the guts to stand up for the common American even when it was unpopular."

The two men raise each other's hands in victory as the DNC goes absolutely ecstatic. As a result of the atmosphere North Carolina Senator Harvey Gantt would be elected almost unanimously on the Vice Presidential Ballot.

North Carolina Senator Harvey Gantt, the 1992 Democratic Party nominee for Vice President of the United States

The Democratic Ticket of 1992 of Cuomo/Gantt would be very historic as it would be the first Democratic Party ticket to have an Italian-American running for the presidency and an African-American running for the Vice Presidency.

After months of primary warfare and two days of a deadlocked convention, the Democratic Party, now more so than ever in recent memory, found itself united behind the ticket of Mario Cuomo/Harvey Gantt. Suddenly President Bush found himself running neck in neck with the Democratic ticket, with Ross Perot only a few points behind:

Gallup 7/15/92
Cuomo/Gantt: 34%
Bush/Quayle: 34%
Perot/Wilson: 32%
The race had never been closer.

Up next: Perot in 92!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies