1924: Davis defeats Coolidge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:17:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1924: Davis defeats Coolidge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Opinion of this TL
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: 1924: Davis defeats Coolidge  (Read 52576 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »

September 1, 1939: The entire Mongolia and some parts of Southern Siberia are now in Japanese hands. A longtime Soviet focus on the West now have a dreadful consequences.

September 3, 1939: President Green, Secretaries Grew and Roosevelt meets in the White House with Progressive congressional leaders, regarding situation in the Far East.

Japanese domination in Pacific, empowered with a Siberian resources, is against United States national interest, the President told.

Mr. President, if you have any kind of American intervention on the Russian behalf, I shall oppose it, like any other foreign wars, period, Senator Borah replied.

Senator, I'm not talking about any military involvement, the President assured his powerful colleague. But we're talking about a war that can threat, in time, our West Coast.

Despite Green's plans of limited financial aid, due to Borah's, Foreign Relations Committee chairman, stubbornness, no agreement was reached.

September 6, 1939: President Green officially receives Irish Prime Minister in exile, Eamon de Valera, in the White House. Although no real help was offered to the Irish cause, a formal meeting had a great impact, bringing some hope back to the Irish freedom fighters.

September 8, 1939: London formally severe all diplomatic ties with the United States, over "supporting an Irish terrorists".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »

Parties usually don't disappear in days. Republicans are still existing, as a minor party, with few officeholders on statewide levels, and, now, a couple of congresspersons. They are still somehow significant in some part of New England. Of course, this is a total decline.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

September 10, 1939: Unusually, even for Siberia, early winter halts Japanese path to even more gain. Stalin got an invaluable months to prepare, but there's a long way before the USSR will be able to revert their Western focus of resources and industry to the East.

September 16, 1939: Due to an apparent mistake, British and French naval ships fires at each other at the Mediterranean Sea, close to their respective based in Gibraltar and Algeria. Each side declines to take a responsibility.

September 20, 1939: The United Kingdom declares war on France.

September 22, 1939: Poland, Czechoslovakia and Estonia declares war on the United Kingdom, firmly sitting with their French allies.

September 24, 1939: Polish forces starts Free City of Danzig (Gdańsk) occupation, although Germany, despite their treaty with London, did not declare a war on the Entente.

September 27, 1939: German Reich declares war on Poland.

September 29, 1939: France, Czechoslovakia and Estonia declared war on Germany.

October 1, 1939: It's obvious for everyone that with the late September the Second Great War begun...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »

Interesting how this will effect US/UK relations over the next 20-30 years.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2011, 05:46:14 PM by President Theodore F. Green (P-RI) »

October 18, 1939: President Green declares all American ports and waters closed to submarines of belligerents.

October 20, 1939: The situation in Europe can be summarized this way. Although German army size, after recent enlargements, that violated of the Treaty of Versailles, was about 250,000 men under weapon and quite few tanks and aircrafts, they were able to hold both offensives (French from the West, and Polish from the East) at Rhine and Elbe lines respectively. A long, positional war started...

Ironically, fights between two major players, France and the United Kingdom, are limited mostly to skirmishers in Channel area and in the North African colonies so far.

Lithuania is completely overrun by Polish forces, while Latvia is divided between Poland and Estonia occupation forces.

Hungary, facing a possibility of the New Entente full-scale offensive, backed off all claims against Czechoslovakia.

Meanwhile, the "Fascist Duo" of Italy and Austria remains neutral, but is preparing for possible entrance to the conflick. Due to quite warm relations with London, Il Duce is giving the British some unofficial aid in the Mediterranean area.

November 4, 1939: President Green signs the Neutrality Act of 1939, repealing the general embargo on arms and allowing the sale of arms to belligerents on a "cash and carry" basis. Ostensibly a neutral plan, in fact designed to allow the United States to aid the Soviet Union. Despite administration's pro-French leanings and horrible relations with Britain, Green rejected any possibility of getting involved here. Our base and our society wouldn't simply stomach this. However, passing of the Neutrality Act was a truly Pyrrhic victory, causing a deep and nasty division within Progressive Party regarding war issues.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »

January 4, 1940: National Party (former Nazis) leader, Hermann Goering is named Minister of War Industry, becoming the first NP minister in Zentrum-led cabinet.

January 6, 1940: General Semyon Timoshenko is appointed People's Commisar of Defense, replacing incompetent Kliment Voroshilov. General Zhukov is appointed a commander of the Army of Far East with his predecessor, Marshal Vasily Blücher, being executed for handling the situation.

January 7, 1940: Canada became the last Commonwealth Dominion to declare war on the New Entente. The delay was caused by strong protests from Quebec population, as well as Prime Minister's Mackenzie King desire to demonstrate Canadian independence in foreign policy.

January 19, 1940: Senator William E. Borah of Idaho, a Dean of the Progressive Party and Senate President pro tempore passes away at age of 74.

February 7, 1940: RKO release Walt Disney's second full-length animated film, "Pinocchio".

February 8, 1940: A first major blow to France came, when British completed their naval dominance over eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea, severing all ties between French mandates (Syria and Lebanon) and the metropoly.

February 22, 1940: In Tibet 4-year-old Tenzin Gyatso is proclaimed the thirteenth Dalai Lama.

March 21, 1940: Prime Minister Daladier decivisely won a vote of confidence.

March 24, 1940: Belgium rejects French invitation to join the Entente.

May 23, 1940: Japan resumes Siberian offensive.

May 25, 1940: President Green stablishes the Office for Emergency Management, illustrating his belief in the increasing inevitability of U.S. being involved in a Pacific War in a near future.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »

June 1, 1940: President Green confirmed he'll not seek nomination for a full term. Vice President Gerald Nye, a favorite of the Western base, additionally supported, thanks to Green's help, by the Bluebloods circle, throw his hat on the ring.

June 4, 1940: Senator Smith declared his candidacy for President as well. Although hated by the Western Base for killing health service program and, consequently, blamed by them for President La Follette's death, Smith still commands a loyalty of his Neotammanist faction.

June 24, 1940: For the first time since 1850s, Republican Party doesn't hold a convention, since the leaders of badly reduced, mostly to New England, party decided to skip 1940 presidential election.

July 15, 1940: Democratic National Convention convenes in Chicago, Illinois. There were three major candidates for the Presidential nomination, with nearly equally divided support among the delegates: Senator Cordell Hull of Tennessee, Senator Millard Tydings of Maryland and former Governor Paul V. McNutt of Indiana.

Because Democrats were desperate to win, especially in a light of weakened Progressive prospect, the White House back after two terms in opposition, no secratian Southern candidate, like Senator Heflin or two-time loser, House Minority Leader Garner, had a support of the bosses. Hull generally enjoyed Southern base backing and had wider appeal thanks to his experience and personal prestige in the Senate, but an advanced age factor was hurting his chances. A maverick Tydings had a support of a Northern, Atlantic states. McNutt, one of the few remaining prominent progressive Democrats, was the weakest one, but still could hang on due to his supporters commitment and regional Midwest appeal.

July 18, 1940: The Democratic convention is prolonged as none of the major candidates came ever close to the required two-thirds. Hull is pressured by the party bosses to drop out and endorse Tydings, acceptable for their taste. However, a number of Hull delegates switched their support to McNutt, hoping for yet another series of deadlock and their candidate return.

July 20, 1940: Alabama delegations proposes a name of a dark-horse candidate, former Massachusetts Governor Joseph B. Ely. Ely, who haven't display any presidential aspirations so far, seemed like an ideal candidate: from the Northeast, with his own base there, but totally acceptable for the main party's core due to his conservatism. Some suspects, however, party bosses were keeping dark-horse like Ely "just in case".

July 21, 1940: Tydings agrees, with a heavy heart, to drop out in Ely's favor. Ely, in order to gain a needed support, promises Tydings the Vice Presidential nomination, as pledged Department of State to Hull a day before.

July 22, 1940: Former Governor Joseph B. Ely of Massachusetts is nominated for President by the Democratic Party, in a similar fashion they choose John W. Davis in 1924. The same day, Millard Tydings is nominated easily for Vice President.   

August 3, 1940: Progressive National Convention convenes in Baltimore, Maryland. Vice President Nye, who already enjoyed a number of delegates enough to secure the nod, is nominated without difficulties, since Smith withdrew his name from consideration. Smith gave only a lukewarm support to his former opponent.

August 5, 1940: In order to appease Neotammanists and Reformists, Vice President Nye balances the ticket with a "crossbencher" Senator David I. Walsh of Massachusetts, in a move that also aimed at Ely's own Bay State stronghold.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »

Ely/Tydgings 1940! Been waiting for this election for a while. Smiley (okay, days)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »

August - October 1940: Both tickets, Progressives Nye/Walsh and Democrats Ely/Tydings are campaigning very hard. However the press believes, in a rare general agreement, that the Democrats are definitively favored this fall. Progressives achieved a modest recovery under Green's leadership, TIME wrote. But there's still not enough after a big break in 1937. Democrats are united, while Nye is still struggling to win over Smith supporters, crucial for the election. He also is being accused by some within his own base, not entirely fair, of selling out his isolationist positions by serving as international-minded Green deputy.

November 5, 1940: Joseph B. Ely is elected President with a comfortable, but not lopsided, popular vote margin. A low turnout among Eastern progressives in key Neotammanist states was a major factor of the huge electoral votes gap between the two. Massachusetts, the home state of the two nominees, was among the closest nationwide.

Former Governor Joseph B. Ely of Massachusetts/Senator Millard Tydings of Maryland (Democratic Party): 364 electoral votes, 53% of the popular vote
Vice President Gerald P. Nye of North Dakota/Senator David E. Walsh of Massachusetts (Progressive Party): 167 electoral votes, 44% of the popular votes
Others: 3% of the popular vote

In addition of retaking the White House, Democratic Party gained a control over Congress for the first time since early 1930s.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2011, 06:30:50 PM »

Yay!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »

Credit for an idea of having Joseph B. Ely TTL goes to Dallasfan and great help he provided to me during planning the events Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2011, 06:32:49 PM »

Credit for an idea of having Joseph B. Ely TTL goes to Dallasfan and great help he provided to me during planning the events Smiley

I like how you change your avatar and signature immediately after posting the election.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »

Glad the Democrats won. It would be a nightmare to have a single party state under any President.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »

Presidents:

29th: Warren G. Harding (R-OH), March 4, 1921 – August 2, 1923
30th: J. Calvin Coolidge (R-MA), August 2, 1923 – March 4, 1925
31st: John W. Davis (D-WV), March 4, 1925 – March 4, 1933
32nd: Herbert C. Hoover (P-CA), March 4, 1933 - July 3, 1934
33rd: Joseph C. Grew (P-MA), July 3, 1934 - December 11, 1934
34th: Robert M. La Follette, Jr. (P-WI), December 11, 1934 - January 1, 1938
35th: Theodore F. Green (P-RI), January 1, 1938 - January 20, 1941
36th: Joseph B. Ely (D-MA), January 20, 1941 - present

29th: Last Republican elected President; died in office
30th: Last Republican to serve as President; defeated
32nd: First Progressive President; assasinated
33rd: Ascended from position of Secretary of State (first succession beyond the Vice Presidency); resigned
34th: Ascended from position of Secretary of State; committed suicide
35th: Asecnded from Vice Presidency; did not seek reelection

Vice Presidents:

29th: J. Calvin Coolidge (R-MA), March 4, 1921 – August 2, 1923
Vacant, August 5, 1923 – March 4, 1925
30th: Charles W. Bryan (D-NE), March 4, 1925 – March 4, 1929
31st: Nellie Ross Taylor (D-WY), March 4, 1929 – March 4, 1933  
32nd: Albert E. Ottinger (P-NY), March 4, 1933 - March 2, 1934
Vacant, March 2, 1934 - January 20, 1937
33rd: Theodore F. Green (P-RI), January 20, 1937 - January 1, 1938
Vacant, January 1, 1938 - April 11, 1938
34th: Gerald E. Nye (P-ND), April 11, 1938 - January 20, 1941
35th: Millard E. Tydings (D-MD), January 20, 1941 - present

29th: Became President
30th: Did not seek reelection
31st: First female Vice President; did not seek reelection
32nd: Died in office
33rd: Became President
34th: The first Vice President nominated in a midterm
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »

As a Republican, it's sad to see the part of Lincoln go down. Oh well, I guess in this I end up as a Democrat, but I have no idea how family butterflies might go politically without a Republican party.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2011, 06:48:17 PM »

As a Republican, it's sad to see the part of Lincoln go down. Oh well, I guess in this I end up as a Democrat, but I have no idea how family butterflies might go politically without a Republican party.

Trust me, you'll love the Democratic Party Tongue Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »

As a Republican, it's sad to see the party of Lincoln go down. Oh well, I guess in this I end up as a Democrat, but I have no idea how family butterflies might go politically without a Republican party.

I'm hoping the pro-segregation wing is kept on a tight leash at least. Tongue I wonder what'll happen with RFK?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »

As a Republican, it's sad to see the party of Lincoln go down. Oh well, I guess in this I end up as a Democrat, but I have no idea how family butterflies might go politically without a Republican party.

I'm hoping the pro-segregation wing is kept on a tight leash at least. Tongue I wonder what'll happen with RFK?

Now, poor RFK is still a teenage ophran with just one brother left. Yet, despite Joe's death, family still have wealth and influence, that are going to make life and potential political career easier for him.,
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

I find it interesting to see what the pro-Civil Rights Republicans will do, such as Everett Dirksen. I guess they'd be like the "half-breeders" in your Commonwealth TL: Agree with Dems on economics, agree with Progs on Civil Rights. They'd either end up as PINO's or Northern Dems in this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2011, 06:58:05 PM »

I find it interesting to see what the pro-Civil Rights Republicans will do, such as Everett Dirksen. I guess they'd be like the "half-breeders" in your Commonwealth TL: Agree with Dems on economics, agree with Progs on Civil Rights. They'd either end up as PINO's or Northern Dems in this.

I admit this is a difficult issue to settle. I need some more thinking, but your suggestion is greatly appreciated Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »

The Presidency of Joseph B. Ely

Joseph B. Ely (D-MA), 36th President of the United States
January 20, 1941 - ...

January 3, 1941: The new, 77th, Congress convenes with a Democratic majority.

Senate:

Democrats: 54
Progressives: 40
Republicans: 2

House of Representatives:

Democrats: 271
Progressives: 157
Republicans: 5
Independents: 2

Leadership:

Senate:

President of the Senate: Vice President Millard E. Tydings (D-MD) (elect)
President pro tempore: Pat Harrison (D-MS)
Majority Leader: Alben W. Barkley (D-KY)
Majority Whip: Carl T. Hayden (D-AZ)
Minority Leader: Burton K. Wheeler (P-MT)
Minority Whip: Usher L. Burdick (P-ND)

House of Representatives:

Speaker of the House: William B. Bankhead (D-AL)
Majority Leader: Sam Rayburn (D-TX)
Majority Whip: John W. McCormack (D-MA)
Minority Leader: Knud Wefald (P-MN)
Minority Whip: Jennings Randolph (P-WV)

January 6, 1941: In his last State of the Union, President Green, much to a schadenfreude of the Democrats and dismay of a fellow Progressives, talked mostly about international issues, issuing a famous warming: The storm is coming. We know that and we must be prepared for this.

January 20, 1941: Joseph B. Ely of Massachusetts and Millard E. Tydings of Maryland are inaugurated in Washington. President Ely, who few months ago was just a former Governor, before becoming a dark-horse candidate, proclaimed in his first address that "it's a time to break a chains and liberate American spirit". We are going to bring American common sense back. A common sense that means respect for our federal institutions, personal responsibility and a respect for what made America great: our American business. Foreign affairs were not an important subject in the President's speech.

January 21, 1941: The fascist Iron Guard coup succeeds in Romania, bringing the country into an Italian fascist alliance.

January 24, 1941: President Ely completed his cabinet.

Vice President: Millard E. Tydings (D-MD)
Secretary of State: Cordell Hull (D-TN)
Secretary of the Treasury: Alfred P. Sloan (D-MI)
Secretary of War: James F. Byrnes (D-SC)
Attorney General: Robert H. Jackson (D-NY)
Postmaster General: John J. Raskob (D-NY)
Secretary of the Navy: Carl Vinson (D-GA)
Secretary of the Interior: William H. Murray (D-OK)
Secretary of Agriculture: Hugh L. White (D-MS)
Secretary of Commerce: Prescott S. Bush (D-CT)
Secretary of Labor: Thomas H. Eliot (D-MA)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »

Are the Bushes Democrats in this? Also: Holy f#ck, we got Alfalfa Bill in the cabinet.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »

Are the Bushes Democrats in this? Also: Holy f#ck, we got Alfalfa Bill in the cabinet.

1. Naturally. Considering that they wouldn't have a future as Republicans and I don't want to eliminate Bush family from U.S. history for future developments
2. Hehe, everyone loves that one Grin
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »

1. Naturally. Considering that they wouldn't have a future as Republicans and I don't want to eliminate Bush family from U.S. history for future developments
2. Hehe, everyone loves that one Grin

I've ntoiced that over history, the Bushes, from Prescott to W., pushed to the Right. Prescott was either a moderate or Liberal Republican, 41 was a moderte to Conservative Republican, and W., at least when running for office, ran to the right of 41. I think it'd be cool to see that play out in this, only with the Bushes running to the right not because of the Republicans, but because of the Democrats.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2011, 05:58:55 PM »

I'll take a little break from updating this TL, but I'd gladly answer all questions in meanwhile Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies