Why I am not a liberal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:27:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Why I am not a liberal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why I am not a liberal  (Read 21128 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »

Interesting perspective, though very subjective (obviously)

2. What's wrong with America's definition of liberal? We can call them what we want.

3. Sweeping generalization fallacy (though there are elitists who are liberals)

4. So you'd rather everybody be a drone of the state? Most of society's greatest advancements in any area were caused by individuals who thought independently and differently of others.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »

2. What's wrong with America's definition of liberal? We can call them what we want.

You can call people whatever you want, but then you can also call a tree a rock, if you want. Regardless, my main problem is a) with the tendency to assume that liberal = left wing and that left wing = liberal and b) that this is increasingly common outside the U.S.

Languages evolve, not a big deal.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

At no point did I argue in favour of turning people into drones of the state. At no point did I argue against the achievements of individuals*. I am opposed to individualism, not to the existence of the individual. I actually think there are serious problems in drawing a strict line between the individual and the collective, but this is about isms.[/quote]

Oh sure, but many would argue that, for the most part, individualism benefits the collective. Look at ancient Athens, a hub of culture, philosophy, and science in its time. They began to prosper when they instituted a very liberal (for the time) system of government.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies