General Notice About "Survivor" Threads
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:19:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  Survivor
  General Notice About "Survivor" Threads
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: General Notice About "Survivor" Threads  (Read 5041 times)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 04:04:02 AM »

Well, the international board, where real discussion apparently occurs, is not under subject of this rule, so why does it matter?

The mods aren't applying a blind policy here.  It's very easy to look at the topics and their authors in this particular board and judge them as disruptive to legitimate discussion.  
It's because the discussion on survivors has occurred here mainly, more than in the Atlas board.

You're right, Lunar: I agree on the US general discussion board (in which I never personally launched a survivor).

I agree a bit less about Religion & Philosophy, where I created just one (Greek Gods) which probably would have remained the only one, BTW... But I understand that Supersoulty has stricken preemptively on this and I can't blame him.

Indeed, other boards aren't affected for the moment, despite the fact that, in History, it's really crowded now and I acknowledge I'm partly responsible for this. But the History board isn't too busy usually and there are MANY topics that should be in Alternative History or in International What-Ifs... nothing is perfect ! Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 04:11:30 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2010, 04:14:36 AM by Lunar »

My basic rule of thumb for what's acceptable and what's not, which of course, is irrelevant because I'm more irrelevant than my thumb, is if legitimate discussion is being pushed off the front page of boards in favor of generic useless-pronoun-posting-competition-survivor threads, then it should be deleted.  On the US Discussion Board, it's clear that this is the case.  

I'd hope, and I think it's the case, that posters who post legitimate discussion-generating threads, don't find their threads threatened.  But these things, unlikely for many posters who unfortunately like to create cookie-cutter threads, are a very niche thing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »

No, I really want to have separate survivor board.

So, I agree to do no more survivors here, just maitain the old ones.

But seriously we need a place for this.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »

There are a handful that are actually worthwhile, and I'd suggest that World Leader's Survivor was one of them, because it had been run before but most of the world leaders had changed. It also benefited from being contained in as few threads as possible.

World Leaders Survivor was interesting and well organized. So was fillatre's historical figures survivor for example.

Most of the ones on this forum however are not and were so poorly organized they often made a new thread for each round.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 01:26:43 AM »

Thanks Chris.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »

Yeah, it appeared that Kalwejt was making a survivor for whatever popped into his head.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »

This isn't a bad idea at any rate, but Frodo's proposal to delete all current survivors in addition to this one is extremely unfair and borderline insulting to people who have put their time into making survivor lists or people who have put their time into writing (like Edu) about the various names in the list.

A number of survivors are interesting, but some are stupid and spam, but it's still unfair to put all of them together in the same basket. It's insulting to have interesting survivors all named 'spam'.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »

All survivor threads now have a home in the child board of the same name under "Election and History Games".
Dave
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »

Smiley

Thank you.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:06 PM »

There, Survivorholics, I got you a board.

The other mods are so cruel.  They ask you to stand before them.  But all I ask is that you kneel. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »

There, Survivorholics, I got you a board.

The other mods are so cruel.  They ask you to stand before them.  But all I ask is that you kneel. 

Thank you, sir, you're not as evil as it appeared before.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies