Stewart owns Fox News Yet Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Stewart owns Fox News Yet Again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stewart owns Fox News Yet Again  (Read 2272 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2009, 12:35:02 AM »

Rasmussen recently put out a poll about how likely people thought Scientists fixed Global Warming Data.  He reported that 59% said it was at least somewhat likely, 35% said very likely 26% said not likely.  Fox decides to count at least somewhat likely as just somewhat likely then adds very likely.

Link to the video and Stewart's commentary, warning listening to the Fox portion might make your head explode.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/12/the-daily-show-explores-the-self-dumbing-down-of-fox-friends-gretchen-carlson.php
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 01:09:36 AM »

I remember a great Daily Show bit shortly after the Iraq War began:

"In other news a Fox News reporter was fired after caught looting artifacts from museums. Proving that yes, it is possible to do something to get fired from the Fox News Channel."
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »

I've always enjoyed how Keith Olbermann refers to reporters and anchors from Fox News as "news models."

Regardless, the Daily Show is a classic, and hopefully doesn't go off the air for a long long time.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:13:24 AM »

"You don't have to stash your IQ in an offshore account." Brilliant.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »

And again last night. You can check it out at thedailyshow.com
MSG
MSG@LUC
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »

This is why i hate when people say that msnbc is just as bad as fox.  people like olbermann are hacks but this stuff is just so asine it makes one wonder how foxnews actually has viewers.  Then again america always has to prove pt barnum right.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 02:39:53 AM »

This is why i hate when people say that msnbc is just as bad as fox.  people like olbermann are hacks but this stuff is just so asine it makes one wonder how foxnews actually has viewers.  Then again america always has to prove pt barnum right.

Yeah, MSNBC can be bad(I'm not opposed to the left wing slant, but I can't stand the personalities they have, with funnily enough the exceptions of Scarborough and Buchanan), but Fox News is on another level. It's a straight up parody of itself...
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 01:50:18 PM »

Couldn't it have merely been a mistake by whoever made the graphic?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2009, 02:20:14 PM by Joe Republic »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 04:06:44 PM »

What did the Ras poll actually say I wonder?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »

Epic joke at the 5-minute mark.  Just for that one comment I'm going to start watching the Daily Show again.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 04:41:32 PM »

Fox has done this sort of thing too many times and this was just blatant.  The on air hosts said over 90% said it was likely, and when they mentioned the poll was taken prior to the e-mail controversy, they said it could be higher, ooh almost 100% chuckle chuckle
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Someone should tell Lauren that when you remove "at least"" it kind of changes things the meaning......
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »

That was frickin hilarious.. though I think the one guy obviously caught it when she said "I think if they redid it those numbers would change"
and the guy says "yeah, they'd probably be closer to 100%"

Not meaning that even more people will agree with the question... but that the total will be closer to 100%.

Still I couldn't stop laughing the whole time... especially the clip of her playing violin preceded by her "googling" what a czar was.

She's so wholesome conservative and tech savvy all at the same time!

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:12 PM »

That one seemed to be an honest mistake (unlike the one Hannity's show pulled) - as the anchor is talking and adds them up in his head, he kinda stumbles around, and it seemed like he realized that the math didn't add up.  Now, the people behind the scenes could've done it on purpose, but I don't think this was as maliciously done as the stunt Hannity pulled with the Tea Party graphic.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:25 AM »

That one seemed to be an honest mistake (unlike the one Hannity's show pulled) - as the anchor is talking and adds them up in his head, he kinda stumbles around, and it seemed like he realized that the math didn't add up.  Now, the people behind the scenes could've done it on purpose, but I don't think this was as maliciously done as the stunt Hannity pulled with the Tea Party graphic.

If you make an honest mistake, you generally should try to correct it don't you think?  At least thats how it is in the real world.  Granted Fox and the real world are polar opposites, but you should at least attempt to correct your mistakes....
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 01:48:15 AM »

If you make an honest mistake, you generally should try to correct it don't you think?  At least thats how it is in the real world.  Granted Fox and the real world are polar opposites, but you should at least attempt to correct your mistakes....

I'm not going to pretend to know what it's like to be a news anchor, but from my experiences on the few radio and TV shows I've done, when something catches you by surprise, it's harder than you'd think to make a simple correction.  Now, granted he does this all the time, so it may be easier for him - I'm not sure.  But if that'd have been me, I probably would've just kept going because I wouldn't know what else to do.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 02:17:16 AM »

I'm not going to pretend to know what it's like to be a news anchor, but from my experiences on the few radio and TV shows I've done, when something catches you by surprise, it's harder than you'd think to make a simple correction.  Now, granted he does this all the time, so it may be easier for him - I'm not sure.  But if that'd have been me, I probably would've just kept going because I wouldn't know what else to do.

Again, the people at Fixed and Friends are suppose to be Professional Anchors.  Granted it isn't the case, but bells should have gone off.  A simple something seems off here would have been a bit better rather than pretending nothing was wrong, and  continuing to talk up the poll for another couple minutes.  Everyone makes mistakes, but you should make an attempt to correct them when you make it.  Also the simple fact Fox has a tendency to make these type of mistakes and for some reason never correct them, and those mistakes always seem to put the Dems in a bad light, and/or are favorable to the GOP.  I would bet anything if Fox made a mistake that was favorable to the Dems, or put the GOP in a bad light they would be VERY QUICK to correct it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 02:42:54 AM »

Again, the people at Fixed and Friends are suppose to be Professional Anchors.  Granted it isn't the case, but bells should have gone off.  A simple something seems off here would have been a bit better rather than pretending nothing was wrong, and  continuing to talk up the poll for another couple minutes.  Everyone makes mistakes, but you should make an attempt to correct them when you make it.  Also the simple fact Fox has a tendency to make these type of mistakes and for some reason never correct them, and those mistakes always seem to put the Dems in a bad light, and/or are favorable to the GOP.  I would bet anything if Fox made a mistake that was favorable to the Dems, or put the GOP in a bad light they would be VERY QUICK to correct it.

I agree that the error should've been fixed - I'm just saying that I don't think that the anchor was in on it.  Now - the error could've been intentional at the graphics department level - it might not have been.  I'm not going to pretend to know.  But I don't think the anchor intentionally knew about the error; however, he should've corrected it (or a producer should've directed him to do so).
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 12:58:33 PM »

Didn't the guy all the way to (our) right make a comment like, "Hopefully those numbers will add up to 100," or something to that effect?  I'm too lazy to rewatch.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 04:07:55 PM »

Didn't the guy all the way to (our) right make a comment like, "Hopefully those numbers will add up to 100," or something to that effect?  I'm too lazy to rewatch.

Not hopefully - he said they may if a poll was conducted after Climategate.  The way he said it though, he sounded like he was joking around, realizing that the numbers added up to more than 100%.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 10:07:59 PM »

Not hopefully - he said they may if a poll was conducted after Climategate.  The way he said it though, he sounded like he was joking around, realizing that the numbers added up to more than 100%.

Which he refused to point out...  And it didn't really sound like he was joking it was more of a haha almost everyone think its likely
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:16 PM »

Which he refused to point out...  And it didn't really sound like he was joking it was more of a haha almost everyone think its likely

That's not how I took it - I thought he was joking around, because at the point that the anchor said 90%, it was pretty obvious that there was an error.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2009, 12:48:04 AM by Joe Republic »

Inks, did either the anchors or the production team ever explicitly apologize for the misleading graphic?  You should find that the producer did the very opposite, in fact, by trying to claim that it showed what they intended to show all along.  Which is very telling, of course.

This is really the point with Fox News.  Even when they do admit they screwed up, they never apologize to their own viewers.  Take Hannity's deception the other week; he issued a less-than-half-hearted apology to Jon Stewart who revealed it - not his own viewers - and still managed to throw a snide quip in there too.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »

Inks, did either the anchors or the production team ever explicitly apologize for the misleading graphic?  You should find that the producer did the very opposite, in fact, by trying to claim that it showed what they intended to show all along.  Which is very telling, of course.

This is really the point with Fox News.  Even when they do admit they screwed up, they never apologize to their own viewers.  Take Hannity's deception the other week; he issued a less-than-half-hearted apology to Jon Stewart who revealed it - not his own viewers - and still managed to throw a snide quip in there too.

I said that the producers should have directed the anchor to correct the mistake.  I'm in no way defending FOX - I'm merely saying that I don't fault the anchors in this case.  The producers, however, ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies