Mock Constitutional Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:37:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Mock Constitutional Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mock Constitutional Convention  (Read 7268 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »

I had an idea for a game.  A mock Constitutional Convention, either for a fictional country, the United States, or some other.  It could be modern (I have a scenario in mind) or historical (Philadelphia Convention).  We each act as a representative of a state (or, some other governmental body), and we propose and debate things.

Anybody interested?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »

I'm in.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »

A Constitutional Convention in a small South American banana republic which has just emerged from the dictatorial rule of a military junta would be fun.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:55:32 PM »

I'm in, but I will be pushing for something purposefully short, vague, and easily amended.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »

I'm in, but I will be pushing for something purposefully short, vague, and easily amended.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »

Do you want some new county made up for this game?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

Do you want some new county made up for this game?

A made-up country would be okay, although it wouldn't be my preference.

The modern scenario I had in mind is based off a show I watched on the "History" Channel.  Washington, D.C. is nuked in a terrorist attack, destroying all three branches of government.  In response, the Joint Chiefs of Staff appoints an acting president, and martial law is declared.  Most are perfectly fine with this, but some people are outraged.

A few states send delegates to a convention, with the intended purpose of re-organizing the U.S. government, challenging the legitimacy of the provisional one that has risen after the tragedy.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »

I explicitly want a new country, like what I proposed above.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »

I explicitly want a new country, like what I proposed above.

Yes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:02:33 PM »

New country means we need to invent a history and a map and issues and what not. What about one of the Eastern Europe states after the fall of the iron curtain (or after they were created at Versailles)?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »

How about Argentina post-Junta?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »

If the game is going to go as slow as deciding what to base the game on from the moderator, this will take an extremely long time.
Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 10:35:03 PM »

I'm in and here's my idea for a fictional nation.

I've been just randomly thinking and came up with the nation of "Tranquilita", a fairly sized Pacific Island nation that after gaining independence from Britain in the 1900's, went through a short, ten year monarchy that produced only two rulers. After in the late 1910's and 1920's, a democracy was solidified and a parliament called the "Plebian Assembly" and another higher house called the "Senate" established. All of this changed as the fragile import-export economy collapsed with the whole "Great Depression" splashing out all over the world. With this done, the National Pride Party took shape and came to power during the 1930's and ruled with an iron fist, persecuting the indigenous people and the significant Asian and Japanese culture on the western coast.

When World War 2 came around, Tranquilita was thrust into war as the Japanese Empire outstended it's grasp over the Pacific but with Tranquilita being more eastern, it was protected by a "Curtain of the United States". After the allied victory in WW2, the National Pride Party came under more scrutiny as they were condemned at home and internationally. When in the early 1950's, a popular coup by the popular "National Unity" group, the group of former politicians, military that opposed the National Pride Party. With this, turned National Pride members, National Unity supporters, military men and conservative and liberal thinkers coalesce in the capital of Tranquilita to write a new constitution.

Hopefully that's something. Smiley
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »

I've been just randomly thinking and came up with the nation of "Tranquilita", a fairly sized Pacific Island nation that after gaining independence from Britain in the 1900's, went through a short, ten year monarchy that produced only two rulers. After in the late 1910's and 1920's, a democracy was solidified and a parliament called the "Plebian Assembly" and another higher house called the "Senate" established. All of this changed as the fragile import-export economy collapsed with the whole "Great Depression" splashing out all over the world. With this done, the National Pride Party took shape and came to power during the 1930's and ruled with an iron fist, persecuting the indigenous people and the significant Asian and Japanese culture on the western coast.

When World War 2 came around, Tranquilita was thrust into war as the Japanese Empire outstended it's grasp over the Pacific but with Tranquilita being more eastern, it was protected by a "Curtain of the United States". After the allied victory in WW2, the National Pride Party came under more scrutiny as they were condemned at home and internationally. When in the early 1950's, a popular coup by the popular "National Unity" group, the group of former politicians, military that opposed the National Pride Party. With this, turned National Pride members, National Unity supporters, military men and conservative and liberal thinkers coalesce in the capital of Tranquilita to write a new constitution.

something like this sounds fine. Maybe if we actually were ruled by Japan at one point then reshaped after the war like how the allie powers got to re-draw country boundaries
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 11:10:07 PM »

Sounds great.

All in favor?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 11:39:16 PM »

Sounds great.

All in favor?

Aye. Are the parties going to be Pride and Unity? Or other parties too?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »

Sounds great.

All in favor?

Aye. Are the parties going to be Pride and Unity? Or other parties too?

There's going to be other parties.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 11:53:17 PM »

Sounds great.

All in favor?

yes
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 12:47:05 AM »

I suggest we use a real country. That would make things easier, IMO.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »

I suggest we use a real country. That would make things easier, IMO.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 08:30:11 PM »

Russia?  Maybe Belarus after their authoritarian government is overthrown?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 08:51:07 PM »

Zimbabwe?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »

A place in South America.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »

Cuba

Let's say that the M-22-7 doesn't turn Communist and instead calls a Convention in 1961.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »

Cuba

Let's say that the M-22-7 doesn't turn Communist and instead calls a Convention in 1961.

I like that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies