who is cheating?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:49:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  who is cheating?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: who is cheating?  (Read 4722 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2004, 09:58:55 PM »

They are suing Michael Moore for offering slackers a package of three free Hanes underwear (for guys) or a day's worth of Top Ramen (for girls) if they promise to vote on election day.  That hardly sounds like buying votes to me.

Here is a good new article listing lots more cheating.  This was found on Drudge.  My second visit ever...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E64%257E2488266,00.html

fb

There is a difference.  The person doing the registration is being paid, but the soon to be voter is not being paid to register or vote.

From the story you've cited, here is a quote:

She and other canvassers for Moving America Forward said they would ask people whether they supported Pete Coors or Ken Salazar in the race for U.S. Senate. If they supported Salazar[D], canvassers handed them a form to request an absentee ballot. If they supported Coors[R], they would walk away

Now, there is nothing illegal in this tactic, but it is a hardball tactic.  The voter could call up the election board and get an absentee ballot request form.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2004, 11:00:26 PM »

They are suing Michael Moore for offering slackers a package of three free Hanes underwear (for guys) or a day's worth of Top Ramen (for girls) if they promise to vote on election day.  That hardly sounds like buying votes to me.

Here is a good new article listing lots more cheating.  This was found on Drudge.  My second visit ever...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E64%257E2488266,00.html

fb

There is a difference.  The person doing the registration is being paid, but the soon to be voter is not being paid to register or vote.

From the story you've cited, here is a quote:

She and other canvassers for Moving America Forward said they would ask people whether they supported Pete Coors or Ken Salazar in the race for U.S. Senate. If they supported Salazar[D], canvassers handed them a form to request an absentee ballot. If they supported Coors[R], they would walk away

Now, there is nothing illegal in this tactic, but it is a hardball tactic.  The voter could call up the election board and get an absentee ballot request form.

I used this exact same hardball tactic myself in Nevada this year, canvassing for ACT and DrivingVotes.org in Reno in 85 degree weather all day on the weekend.  There is nothing illegal about it.  We had targetted lists of people to hit.  But I would have no problem doing this in a public place in front of a store or something.

fb
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2004, 12:40:30 AM »

Its illegal to pay money or gifts in exchange for votes. I believe that's the law of the land. That's what the anti-Michael Moore suit is about in Michigan.

What about selling crack cocaine in exchange for votes? lol
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2004, 12:44:19 AM »

Its illegal to pay money or gifts in exchange for votes. I believe that's the law of the land. That's what the anti-Michael Moore suit is about in Michigan.

What about selling crack cocaine in exchange for votes? lol

Hey, I've voted for people who used crack (well he was a Democrat).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies