Hear Kerry speak French!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:08:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Hear Kerry speak French!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hear Kerry speak French!  (Read 4625 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2004, 12:18:22 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2004, 03:39:28 PM by Silent Hunter »

http://slate.msn.com/id/2108379/
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 02:17:46 PM »

So? My mother speaks a little French, and can read even more - but she thinks the French are generally rude, arrogant assholes. If Kerry is multi-lingual, more power to him.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 02:38:15 PM »

I can butcher my way through Tagalog and Latin.  hahaha . . . maybe I should run for President too!  I can bring in the Philippine and dead Roman votes.  hahaha
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 04:18:22 PM »

Vous êtes de Haïti? D'accord. Je vais aider les Haitiens.
=
You are from Haiti? OK. I will help the Haitians.

I think Kerry pronounced it quite well, with an American accent, but OK. He had real trouble with "Haitiens", though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »

If anyone's wondering why he decided to speak French, I believe that French is the official language of Haiti.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 04:34:33 PM »

So? My mother speaks a little French, and can read even more - but she thinks the French are generally rude, arrogant assholes. If Kerry is multi-lingual, more power to him.

Both you and your mother are correct.

Note, Bush speaks Spanish.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 05:37:17 PM »

The French are generally a rude, arrogant, perverse, thoroughly disgusting people, who probably post to much on message boards, but what does this have to do with Kerry.

I suggest you read the "All about Yourself" thread here before you reply:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.phptopic=10322.15
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 05:57:19 PM »

The French are generally a rude, arrogant, perverse, thoroughly disgusting people, who probably post to much on message boards, but what does this have to do with Kerry.

You know, you really shouldn't stereotype the French so badly. I try to correct my fellow Canadians when they make such blanket anti-American comments based on stereotypes, but you do nothing to dispel these stereotypes with your own bigoted comments.

And Kerry's accent was easy to follow. Rather similar to mine, or most of my somewhat bilingual friends. Only one of us can do a decent French accent in French.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 06:32:16 PM »

You know, you really shouldn't stereotype the French so badly. I try to correct my fellow Canadians when they make such blanket anti-American comments based on stereotypes, but you do nothing to dispel these stereotypes with your own bigoted comments.

Before you comment any further on my "stereotype," I think you better look at my bio on the "All about yourself" thread under "Individual Politics."  You might see the humor in the post.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 07:44:21 PM »

Yo hablo español, which should help me with the demographics of tomorrow.
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 11:23:58 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2004, 11:31:54 PM by volrath50 »

Before you comment any further on my "stereotype," I think you better look at my bio on the "All about yourself" thread under "Individual Politics."  You might see the humor in the post.

That you're part French? I thought you posted the broken link to lend legitimacy to your anti-French claims, not humour. On so many boards I've seen so much true, racist, anti-French sentiment, it gets to the point where I believe most is genuine, rather than joking.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 11:55:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That you're part French? I thought you posted the broken link to lend legitimacy to your anti-French claims, not humour. On so many boards I've seen so much true, racist, anti-French sentiment, it gets to the point where I believe most is genuine, rather than joking.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am rolling on the floor laughing!  :-) 

I thought the "who probably post too much on messages to much on message boards," was a dead giveaway.  I was obviously referring to myself.  Yes, this was intended as "humour."  :-)  No, I really wouldn't say that about a group of which I wasn't a member.  My maternal grandparents were French, and my mother was raised with French as her first language.  I felt that I could poke a little fun at myself and tried to post the link that would explain it.

It is, however, nice to know that there are brave Canadians out there to protect us poor French folk against all those nasty "bigoted" Americans  perpetuating"stereotypes."  :-) 

(Okay, sorry about the broken posts, I really wasn't attempting to suck anyone in.  But I've got to admit, I'm still laughing.)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 04:42:48 AM »

... better than Bush speaks English.  No one made that joke yet?
Volrath50
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 06:22:54 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2004, 03:30:10 PM by volrath50 »

It is, however, nice to know that there are brave Canadians out there to protect us poor French folk against all those nasty "bigoted" Americans  perpetuating"stereotypes."  :-) 

That's what happens when you take French for 8 years in school. I've got too much invested in this language to see it insulted. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 03:41:29 PM »

=

I think Kerry pronounced it quite well, with an American accent, but OK. He had real trouble with "Haitiens", though.

Idée mauvaise!  Rappelez-vous l'expérience du Monsieur Clinton sur Haiti???!

In any language, it's a bad g idea!  We should be more concerned with what he said than how he said it.  N'est ce-pas?

Goddamned, this is worse than the episode during which Republicans were obsessed with Monica fellating Bill Clinton.  Record deficits, terrorist threats, AIDS, war, social security going broke, and we're focusing on the fact that Kerry used a language other than English?!  WTF?

Wanna vote for Bush because he's a better choice than Kerry, at the moment?  Great.  Wanna vote for Bush because Kerry happens to speak French?  Jeezus Christ.  What a load of crap.   
AAAh, mon dieu!  C'est les temps modernes.  Quel étrange!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 03:46:07 PM »

That's what happens when you take French for 8 years in school. I've got too much invested in this language to see it insulted. Smiley

I can relate to that one.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 03:49:01 PM »

You dems oughta go apesh**t every time you hear George Bush speak spanish, just to show my fellow republicans how ridiculous all this appears.  Or are you just enjoying the surrealism?
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 04:31:19 PM »

He sounds terrible!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 11:48:20 AM »

If you met my wife you'd probably make fun of her too, when she speaks English with her thick foreign accent.  Insensitive pricks. 
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 08:43:17 PM »

I spoke a little French today to my teacher's mother when she answered the phone.  Of course, had I taken Spanish it would have been alot more useful
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2004, 08:32:32 PM »

=

In any language, it's a bad g idea!  We should be more concerned with what he said than how he said it.  N'est ce-pas?

Goddamned, this is worse than the episode during which Republicans were obsessed with Monica fellating Bill Clinton.  Record deficits, terrorist threats, AIDS, war, social security going broke, and we're focusing on the fact that Kerry used a language other than English?!  WTF?

Wanna vote for Bush because he's a better choice than Kerry, at the moment?  Great.  Wanna vote for Bush because Kerry happens to speak French?  Jeezus Christ.  What a load of crap.   

C'est incredible! La connaissance de la langue français devrais être une qualification, pas un désavantage!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2004, 09:42:39 PM »

=

C'est incredible! La connaissance de la langue français devrais être une qualification, pas un désavantage!

Los narizes almuerzan con una banana guapa Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 11:06:06 PM »

=

Los narizes almuerzan con una banana guapa Smiley

lidaker, yeah, it ought to be.  weird ain't it?

Ilikeverin,  tu eres muy raro.  verdad?  by the way, my old lady and I rented "eye of the beholder" last night on DVD.  You might enjoy it.  A bit bloody, though.  So don't watch it if you're squeemish.  Hot chick fond of knifing older rich men and taking their jewels sort of flick.  But it's kinda heavy in numerology, that's why I mention it.  '...passing interest...'
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2004, 12:48:24 PM »

I believe Senator Kerry was recently criticised for his comments on Haiti by a Brazilian general:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3750350.stm
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies