Unemployment Change by President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:53:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Unemployment Change by President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Unemployment Change by President  (Read 5928 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
« edited: January 16, 2010, 12:36:43 PM by Jasmine's Prince »

This is a list of Presidents by how much (percentagewise) the unemployment rate at the end of their terms was in comparison to the beginning of their terms. (0.8% means the unemployment rate was 0.8% greater at the end of a president's term in contrast to the beginning of his term.  -2.5% means the unemployment rate was 2.5% less at the end of a president's term than at the beginning.) This data is for all Presidents since Hoover.

FDR: -23.0% (D)
Clinton: -3.1% (D)
Obama: -2.9% (D) (projected)
LBJ:-2.3% (D)

Reagan:-2.1% (R)
JFK: -0.9% (D)
Carter: 0.0% (D)
Truman:+1.0% (D)

Bush Sr.: +1.9% (R)
Ford:+2.0% (R)
Nixon:+2.1% (R)
Bush Jr.: +3.5 (R)
Eisenhower:+3.7% (R)
Hoover: +21.7 (R)

As evidenced, there is a clear pattern. Unemployment typically goes down under Democratic Presidents and goes up under Republican Presidents. Do you have any ideas why this is so? (BTW, Reagan is the major exception to this rule.)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »

Anyone?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »

Not enough data.

You should create a time series graph, with variables such as federal outlays, federal tax rates, interest rates, oil prices, etc and run a fixed effects regression.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »

Not enough data.

You should create a time series graph, with variables such as federal outlays, federal tax rates, interest rates, oil prices, etc and run a fixed effects regression.

I don't have the time to do that. If you want to, go ahead. I'd like to see what you come up with. Isn't it cool that all the Democrats are on top and all the Republicans (except Reagan) are on bottom, though? I think that unemployment typically increases under Republican Presidents and decreases under Democratic Presidents because people tend to elect Republicans (typically) when times are good and Democrats when times are bad ("redistributing wealth" sounds much better to voters when they're in a recession losing money than if they are massively profiting from a business boom).
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »

Not enough data.

I don't have the time to do that. If you want to, go ahead. I'd like to see what you come up with. Isn't it cool that all the Democrats are on top and all the Republicans (except Reagan) are on bottom, though? I think that unemployment typically increases under Republican Presidents and decreases under Democratic Presidents because people tend to elect Republicans (typically) when times are good and Democrats when times are bad ("redistributing wealth" sounds much better to voters when they're in a recession losing money than if they are massively profiting from a business boom).

I guess its really a matter of what came first, the chicken or the egg. But I think in the 2000 election, most people had sort of a clue that the prosperity was coming to an end and that Bush's tax cuts were a better deal than Gore's.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »

LOL that shows something Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 05:54:01 AM »

Come on, it is common sense that Democrats are good for employment, Republicans bad.  I mean, common knowledge - everyone knows this.

My father, a dyed in the wool country club Republican businessman, constantly says "I always made more money when a Democrat was in the white house".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »

Can you also do real changes and not nominal changes to have a better comparison ?

For example Bush Jr. started at 4.2% and ended at 7.6% - which is an increase of 81% compared with when he started.

Clinton for example started at 7.3% and ended at 4.2% - which is a decrease of 43% compared with when he started.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »

Come on, it is common sense that Democrats are good for employment, Republicans bad.  I mean, common knowledge - everyone knows this.

My father, a dyed in the wool country club Republican businessman, constantly says "I always made more money when a Democrat was in the white house".

You're dad's a Republican too?  Well, at least unlike mine he actually benefits from voting that way at least on tax cuts.  My dad's actually a former Democrat pissed over NAFTA and the shafting of Bob Casey Sr. from the 1992 DNC Convention.  Still not convinced to switch back even after Bush Jr., Gingrich, Santorum and Co. did worse.  He voted for Clinton, but NAFTA sealed the deal for his conversion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 01:22:08 PM »

You're dad's a Republican too?  Well, at least unlike mine he actually benefits from voting that way at least on tax cuts. 

Yeah, but he's reformed now - voted for Obama.  I think the religious extremism finally stuck in his craw, plus all the pointless war.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2009, 01:28:09 PM by Flyers2010 »

You're dad's a Republican too?  Well, at least unlike mine he actually benefits from voting that way at least on tax cuts.  

Yeah, but he's reformed now - voted for Obama.  I think the religious extremism finally stuck in his craw, plus all the pointless war.

Funny thing is on some economic issues, my dad's actually to the left of me, but he voted McCain.  I thought Biden would help.  I think he would have voted Biden if he led the ticket.  The religious stuff is actually why my dad votes GOP, but I think he'd vote for a Tim Holden, Tim Ryan, Jack Murtha or Bill Lipinski in a second.  

My mom OTOH, while a practicing Catholic is pro-choice voted for Obama, but now wished Hillary won.  
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »

Ah yes, the usual correlation must mean causation error.  Grow up n00bs.

If you want to show correlation, maybe show us House and Senate makeup vs unemployment.

Clinton: -3.1% (R [both Senate and House])
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »

I don't necessarily think that is the case. I just think people typically have a tendency to elect Republicans when times are good and Democrats when times are bad. I think that the Republican slogans of "trickle-down economics", "free markets", and "help yourself, don't wait for the govt. to help you" are much more popular if people are doing well economically, while the Democratic solgans of "let the govt. help you", "let's redestribute the wealth", and "let's help America's middle class" are typically much more appealing to voters if they are struggling economically. Thus, it is inevitable that under Republican Presidents unemployment will typically go up and under Democratic presidents typically go down. I don't think it's because of their policies, just due to the economic situation when they are elected.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 01:17:18 AM »

Can you also do real changes and not nominal changes to have a better comparison ?

For example Bush Jr. started at 4.2% and ended at 7.6% - which is an increase of 81% compared with when he started.

Clinton for example started at 7.3% and ended at 4.2% - which is a decrease of 43% compared with when he started.

Yes, I can. Here is the data for all Presidents since Coolidge (1923). Reagan and Truman are the only outliers. Other than those two exceptions, there seems to be a very strong trend here. Unemployment typically decreases under Democratic Presidents and typically increases under Republican Presidents.

FDR (D):-92%
Clinton (D):-42%
LBJ (D):-40%
Obama (D) (projected):-38%

Reagan (R):-28%
JFK (D):-14%
Carter (D): 0%

Coolidge (R):+33%
Bush Sr. (R):+35%
Ford (R):+36%

Truman (D):+53%
Nixon (R):+62%
Bush Jr. (R):+83%
Eisenhower (R):+128%
Hoover (R):+678%

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »

Yes but a far more important criteria for electing presidents is - under which party does the top 0.1% see the biggest increase in 1) its real income and 2) its share of national product.  
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »

Yes but a far more important criteria for electing presidents is - under which party does the top 0.1% see the biggest increase in 1) its real income and 2) its share of national product.  

I agree with you. However, these figures, together with historical job creation figures, make great propaganda for Democratic presidential candidates, even if Democrats are typically elected during bad times.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »

I agree with you. However, these figures, together with historical job creation figures, make great propaganda for Democratic presidential candidates, even if Democrats are typically elected during bad times.

What I was getting at was that the only interest group that matters - and the interest group which the President serves - is the all powerful owning class.  That is, the top 0.1% to maybe 0.5%.  The only people who care about 'employment' are a lot of powerless poors.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »

What I was getting at was that the only interest group that matters - and the interest group which the President serves - is the all powerful owning class.  That is, the top 0.1% to maybe 0.5%.  The only people who care about 'employment' are a lot of powerless poors.

I get your point but my point was that the lower classes decide elections in the U.S., and since Democrats have great propaganda in employment and job creation numbers, they should use it, especially since the lower classes believe in it.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »

Might be better to compare employment rates of the total civilian non-institutionalized population in between the ages 16-65. Or at least change in this with respect to time (the first derivative).

Since it is possible for positive job creation and an increasing unemployment rate to occur at the same time.

This will occur if net amount of people entering the labor force is growing at a faster rate than new job creation.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »

Might be better to compare employment rates of the total civilian non-institutionalized population in between the ages 16-65. Or at least change in this with respect to time (the first derivative).

Since it is possible for positive job creation and an increasing unemployment rate to occur at the same time.

This will occur if net amount of people entering the labor force is growing at a faster rate than new job creation.

There is a pretty strong correlation between Presidents by change in unemployment rate and Presidents by annual job creation rate. In both cases nearly all of the Democrats are on top and nearly all the Republicans are on bottom.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 01:09:47 AM »

This is a list of Presidents by how much (percentagewise) the unemployment rate at the end of their terms was in comparison to the beginning of their terms. (0.8% means the unemployment rate was 0.8% greater at the end of a president's term in contrast to the beginning of his term.  -2.5% means the unemployment rate was 2.5% less at the end of a president's term than at the beginning.) This data is for all Presidents since Hoover.

As evidenced, there is a clear pattern. Unemployment typically goes down under Democratic Presidents and goes up under Republican Presidents. Do you have any ideas why this is so? (BTW, Reagan is the major exception to this rule.)

Where are you getting -2.9% for Obama?  That would mean that unemployment would have to fall to 5.7% in 2012.  I dont think anybody is predicting that unemployment will be nearly cut in half in just two years. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:36 AM »

Where are you getting -2.9% for Obama?  That would mean that unemployment would have to fall to 5.7% in 2012.  I dont think anybody is predicting that unemployment will be nearly cut in half in just two years. 

When Obama entered office unemployment was 7.7%. The Congressional Budget Office Predicts unemployment will be 4.8% in 2017 (and 2016). 7.7-4.8=2.9
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 04:53:55 AM »

When Obama entered office unemployment was 7.7%. The Congressional Budget Office Predicts unemployment will be 4.8% in 2017 (and 2016). 7.7-4.8=2.9

But in 2012, unemployment will probably be around 8%.  That would mean +.3% for Obama.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:04:33 PM »

But in 2012, unemployment will probably be around 8%.  That would mean +.3% for Obama.

I think Obama will win reelection in 2012.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »

Forecasting future unemployment is beyond futile.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies