What divides us
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:42:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What divides us
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality.
Strongly disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly agree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: What divides us  (Read 8024 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:21:12 AM »

Agree is liberal, disagree is conservative.
Aegir
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 04:54:47 PM »

Strongly disagree.

I have a hard time believing I have more in common with a middle-class Saudi Arabian than with a poor or rich American.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 05:31:52 PM »

Strongly disagree.

I have a hard time believing I have more in common with a middle-class Saudi Arabian than with a poor or rich American.

Yeah. Barriers like language, culture, and religion are far harder to look past, even if you are a tolerant person.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 05:34:35 PM »

Cultural barriers are stronger than economic ones.  Disagree.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 09:26:47 PM »

Cultural barriers are stronger than economic ones.  Disagree.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 09:27:55 PM »

the answers to all of these is in my compass score Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:39:29 AM »

Yep, your answer can always be derived from my first post in each and every poll. Smiley
tkwrinklefiber
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 02:06:11 AM »

Well, I would think that both class and nationality create far-reaching and unquantifiable differences.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 01:10:22 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2004, 01:21:07 PM by General Secretary Al »

Cultural barriers are stronger than economic ones.

The two things are in effect that same thing over here. And most places come to think of it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 02:16:51 PM »

Cultural barriers are stronger than economic ones.

The two things are in effect that same thing over here. And most places come to think of it.

I won't deny that the poor generally have a different culture to an extent even in their own nation, but overall things like language barriers are harder to cross. Society seems to set standard roles and mannerisms for rich and poor - you generally expect someone in a certain class to act some way or another, even if only at a subconcious level, so you are more willing to accept it and be comfrotable with it. However, differences in national cultures can be quite shocking to both sides, and there is greater discomfort because it isn't expected or understood as well.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 09:03:58 PM »

Strongly agree, as cultural barriers are strongly determined by economic and education levels.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 09:38:30 PM »

You have a -9.62 social score. Im just curious, whats stoping the perfect ten. In other words, where are you socialy conservative?

Oh yes, and I agree.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 10:53:06 PM »

class barriers in america and australia are nothing like in the UK. Here, and I believe in the US, we have rich and poor but they culd easily go to the same pub (except the super wealthy). In Britian, on one street you'll have three lower class pubs, no middle class pubs and one upper class pub Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 03:33:06 AM »

class barriers in america and australia are nothing like in the UK. Here, and I believe in the US, we have rich and poor but they culd easily go to the same pub (except the super wealthy). In Britian, on one street you'll have three lower class pubs, no middle class pubs and one upper class pub Smiley

An exaggeration.
The only communities divided by Pubs are in the Notts.-Derbyshire Coalfield. Strikers drink in one pub, Scabs in the other.

Thing about class in the U.S, is that most people live and work with people of their own class and hardly see people of another class, to an extent not seen in the U.K.
It's a bit like race relations in the South and the North really... White Southerns often hate Blacks to a scary extent, but will live and sometimes work with them without any real trouble, but if a Black family moves into an affluent neighbourhood in the North, people are leaving before you can say "White Flight" (this also applies to Sunbelty parts of the South).
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 07:42:25 PM »

An exaggeration.
The only communities divided by Pubs are in the Notts.-Derbyshire Coalfield. Strikers drink in one pub, Scabs in the other.

Thing about class in the U.S, is that most people live and work with people of their own class and hardly see people of another class, to an extent not seen in the U.K.
It's a bit like race relations in the South and the North really... White Southerns often hate Blacks to a scary extent, but will live and sometimes work with them without any real trouble, but if a Black family moves into an affluent neighbourhood in the North, people are leaving before you can say "White Flight" (this also applies to Sunbelty parts of the South).

What? You said hughento said an exaggeration, but you're guilty of the same thing. I live in the South, Georgia no less, it's not like you say. I haven't seen rampant racism that you speak of, or max exoduses(my particular neighborhood consists of many whites and blacks, and there hasn't been a mass exodus in mine or any other neighborhood in the area). And people of different classes interact with one another all the time - heck, in the South it is usually a very polite exchange(as I understand it though, the South has a higher degree of common courtesy than the North).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2004, 08:44:55 AM »

What? You said hughento said an exaggeration, but you're guilty of the same thing. I live in the South, Georgia no less, it's not like you say. I haven't seen rampant racism that you speak of, or max exoduses(my particular neighborhood consists of many whites and blacks, and there hasn't been a mass exodus in mine or any other neighborhood in the area). And people of different classes interact with one another all the time - heck, in the South it is usually a very polite exchange(as I understand it though, the South has a higher degree of common courtesy than the North).

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: despite long lasting problems (and racial tensions are IIRC less bad in GA than the rest of the Deep South) Blacks and Whites are happy to live next to each other in the South, but if a Black family moves into an affluent suburb in the North you get white flight etc.
Sad and Ironic in many ways but true.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 08:48:34 AM »

Dibble is right on the money.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 02:55:17 PM »

Strongly agree.  It's not what most people think, but my personal belief.  I do not want to make this another PA-13/NE Philadelphia thread, but there are a lot of whites here that join the Republican party simply because they're white and dsislike the balcks running the city.  They may be in a Union and only making $35,000 a year, but for some it's an automatic.  When reading about the KKK and wealthy Southerns dividing poor Southern whites to join their side via the organization, I see a lot of similarities to the Melissa Brown campaign and the KKK on a much less brutal scale. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 03:22:28 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: despite long lasting problems (and racial tensions are IIRC less bad in GA than the rest of the Deep South) Blacks and Whites are happy to live next to each other in the South, but if a Black family moves into an affluent suburb in the North you get white flight etc.
Sad and Ironic in many ways but true.

My hometown, St. Louis, is notorious for this - completely and passionaltely segregated to this day.  We even take it a bit farther, in that each of our extremely numerous suburban municipalities is finely graded from richest to poorest.  You can place people within the class structure precisely according to their address - hence the typical St. Louis question: 'Where'd you go to high school'?  This is asked immediately after introductions, and lets you know all you need to know about the person's economic class, religious background, etc. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 03:51:55 PM »

Strongly agree.  It's not what most people think, but my personal belief.  I do not want to make this another PA-13/NE Philadelphia thread, but there are a lot of whites here that join the Republican party simply because they're white and dsislike the balcks running the city.  They may be in a Union and only making $35,000 a year, but for some it's an automatic.  When reading about the KKK and wealthy Southerns dividing poor Southern whites to join their side via the organization, I see a lot of similarities to the Melissa Brown campaign and the KKK on a much less brutal scale. 

Thats a sick comparison.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2004, 04:15:18 AM »

My hometown, St. Louis, is notorious for this - completely and passionaltely segregated to this day.  We even take it a bit farther, in that each of our extremely numerous suburban municipalities is finely graded from richest to poorest.  You can place people within the class structure precisely according to their address - hence the typical St. Louis question: 'Where'd you go to high school'?  This is asked immediately after introductions, and lets you know all you need to know about the person's economic class, religious background, etc. 

A very French set up there...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 11:41:52 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2004, 11:44:42 AM by supersoulty »

An exaggeration.

In the South and West there is a long history or inter-class relations going back since before the Civil War.  It is only in the north where you have a strict class structure.

P.S.  To elaborate, the Southern aristocracy were often obliged, if not willing, to mix with those of lower-classes.  It was common for upper-class plantation owners to throw large BBQ's and invite all the locals, rich and poor.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2004, 11:50:38 AM »

In the South and West there is a long history or inter-class relations going back since before the Civil War.  It is only in the north where you have a strict class structure.

Industrialisation
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2004, 03:00:33 PM »

Industrialisation

That contributes to it, but it is more than that.  Northern Society was class seperated even before industry took over.  Except in PA, of course.
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2004, 10:02:16 PM »

There have been countless wars between nations, not very many between rich and poor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies