An initial vote on a constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  An initial vote on a constitution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: An initial vote on a constitution  (Read 24970 times)
migrendel
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2004, 10:26:54 PM »
« edited: March 13, 2004, 10:56:26 PM by migrendel »

A proposal for a Bill of Rights:

ARTICLE I:
This Constitution, a law for all people, for the powerful and the meek, the poor and the rich, does hereby enumerate the formal protections of the law entitled to all citizens by virtue of the nature of a fair government. Amongst these protections are liberty, equality, privacy, and security.

Section I:
The citizens of this jurisdiction shall enjoy the freedom of:

a) speech

b) religion, and freedom from government interference thereof

c) the press

d) assembly

e) petition

f) physical autonomy, and security within one's person

Section II:
Equality of rights in all matters of the law and society shall not be denied or abridged on account of:

a) race

b) sex

c) religion

d) age

e) disability

f) national origin

e) sexual orientation

f) economic status

However, be it known that it shall be legitimate to expand the various classifications to include other discrete classes of citizens, and no good faith government attempt to redress past discrimination shall be declared inoperative under the terms of this section.

Section III:

The right to privacy is vested in all citizens, and shall be protected with regard to:

a) the home

b) sexuality and reproduction

c) the exchange of ideas and other communicative materials

d) marriage

e) other social situations in which a reasonable expectation of privacy, under the construction of social justice, exists

I will write the section on security, meaning legal protections and due process tomorrow because of its complexity.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2004, 07:45:26 AM »

ARTICLE I:
This Constitution, a law for all people, for the powerful and the meek, the poor and the rich, does hereby enumerate the formal protections of the law entitled to all citizens by virtue of the nature of a fair government. Amongst these protections are liberty, equality, privacy, and security.

Section I:

a) speech

c) the press

d) assembly

e) petition

Section II:
Equality of rights in all matters of the law and society shall not be denied or abridged on account of:

a) race

b) sex

c) religion

d) age

e) disability

f) national origin

e) sexual orientation

f) economic status

However, be it known that it shall be legitimate to expand the various classifications to include other discrete classes of citizens, and no good faith government attempt to redress past discrimination shall be declared inoperative under the terms of this section.

Section III:

The right to privacy is vested in all citizens, and shall be protected with regard to:

a) the home

d) marriage

e) other social situations in which a reasonable expectation of privacy, under the construction of social justice, exists

I will write the section on security, meaning legal protections and due process tomorrow because of its complexity.

I would like to add 'lack of avatar' to section II.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2004, 07:56:12 AM »

I strongly oppose Gustaf's proposal. People without an avatar should not be allowed to vote!
HANG'EM, BURN'EM!
No, just joking.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2004, 07:57:41 AM »

I strongly oppose Gustaf's proposal. People without an avatar should not be allowed to vote!
HANG'EM, BURN'EM!
No, just joking.

I am appaled by the racist slurs from the progressives directed against those misfortunate homeless people and I hope the PP leadership will soon denounce them. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2004, 08:00:58 AM »

And DEMOCRATS, too. Especially Democrats from such a nice, progressive state as Minnesota.
The only right they should have is the right to post. Smiley
dunn

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2004, 10:09:34 AM »

you should apologize Gustaf .......no just kiddind
Smiley

but I think Lewis is right
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2004, 11:16:45 AM »

Avatars in my mind kind of represent citizenship, therefore it should be made a requirement to become a voter. I agree with the Bill of Rights, very good.

Siege40
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2004, 12:02:11 PM »

I consider that we should increase size of Senate in the future, if number of forum members is increased.

With huge amount of members I can see also House of Representatives functioning.

And I agree that people without avatar should not be allowed to participate.
Demrepdan

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2004, 02:26:15 PM »

ARTICLE I:

Section I:

a) speech

c) the press

d) assembly

e) petition

Section II:

a) race

b) sex

c) religion

d) age

e) disability

f) national origin

e) sexual orientation

f) economic status

Section III:

a) the home

d) marriage

I would like to add 'lack of avatar' to section II.

We're never going to get this Constitution finished by late March....which will force us to push Senatorial election further and further. It seems that once we are all agreed on the Constitution...but certain aspects (which will be changed)...then EVERYONE throws their hat in the corner and says...."well since we're changing things..I think we should change Article's 1 through 6...and Amendments 1 through 5."
dunn

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2004, 02:26:43 PM »

I consider that we should increase size of Senate in the future, if number of forum members is increased.

With huge amount of members I can see also House of Representatives functioning.

And I agree that people without avatar should not be allowed to participate.

if so we should go back to the progressive draft of ev by states
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2004, 12:04:51 AM »

Well, people without Avatars can't participate in Senate and Governor elections, I hope that much is obvious. Therefore Gustaf's clause is a bad idea. We could let people register without a home state and have them vote in presidentials, I just don't see the point of anybody doing that, and I don't see anybody doing it, so it's a moot point really.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2004, 12:35:07 AM »

Shouldn't we include a voting procedure in this constitution?  If it looks like we are actually going to have more than two "parties", we should maybe use an instant-runoff system, whereby people can rank their choice, and candidates are eliminated until someone has an absolute majority.

And I don't understand what the role of governors would be in a federal constitution.
Demrepdan

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2004, 12:42:59 AM »

And I don't understand what the role of governors would be in a federal constitution.

Limited role......

Pretty much only need for appointing Senators to vacant seats....and to be in charge of elections from within his or her own region.....
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2004, 01:14:12 AM »

Dan, my plan won.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies