The environment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:34:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The environment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily respect the environment.
Strongly disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly agree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: The environment  (Read 4908 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:23:01 AM »

Agree is liberal, disagree is conservative.
Aegir
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 04:55:46 PM »

Strongly agree
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 05:04:28 PM »

Strongly agree (duh)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 05:33:57 PM »

Agree, obviously.
tkwrinklefiber
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 02:13:52 AM »

Strongly agree.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:08:32 AM »

Agree to an extent - some corporations can, some can't. Somewhat depends on what they produce and who they cater to. If their primary customer base is, say, hippies, they will do their best to maintain an environmentally friendly reputation. Another factor is who is running the company - I'm sure some companies are run by environmentalists.

However, privately run groups can be trusted, especially when their objective is to protect the environment. The Libertarian Party has in interesting article on free-market environmentalism here: http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0411/libertarian-solution.html
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 07:39:40 PM »

Strongly Agree
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 08:22:54 PM »

Strongly agree.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »

Strongly Agree
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 09:50:56 PM »

s.a.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 10:01:27 PM »

I'd be interesting to hear from the disagreers.
swarch
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 01:52:35 AM »

I'd be interesting to hear from the disagreers.
Disagree because corporations are run by people, and most people act in a reasonable manner. Of course, there are exceptions, which is why there are laws against pollution, just as there are laws against murder.

To strongly agree with this statement sadly reflects on the extent to which government schools and mainstream media have inculcated a  knee-jerk "Corporations are evil" mentality among the sheeple.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 05:51:08 PM »

I have to agree, unfortunately.

Businesses don't harm environment intentionally, but environment protection isn't free so they harm it and that's why there should be the environmental legislation.

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 09:36:41 PM »

Do tobacco companies protect the health of consumers with their "light" brands?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 04:16:31 AM »

Strongly Agree
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 10:13:51 AM »

who cares...we'll all be dead before it goes down the tube
Rixtex
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 02:50:42 PM »

I find it interesting that even Republicans agree with this. Why, even a Libertarian agrees!

Corporations are there to make money and part of making money is keeping expenses low. Not cleaning up a mess or manufacturing without regard for polluting by-products is a way to keep expenses low.

None of this is to say that all corporations think this way. It is a question of leadership insisting that the right thing be done. And some have led the way in deveolping technologies where they they can actually make money by not polluting. Unfortunately, most are too myopic and unimaginative to figure out how to do it.

A great book on this subject is called "Natural Capitalism" by Hawkins, Lovins and Lovins. Its a great bit of free market environmentalist thinking.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 03:16:21 PM »

who cares...we'll all be dead before it goes down the tube

Interesting perspective, and unfortunately one that is probably responsible for the vast majority of environmental damage that has been done.  You don't care if we make the planet worse for our children and their children?

I personally strongly agree with the poll.  Which is a priority for CEOs: making a profit or protecting the environment?  Protecting the environment unfortunately costs more money than not caring, so many CEOs likely won't care about it.  I'd like to think that CEOs are capable of realizing that they already have more money than they could ever need, but from what I've seen, not many do.  Because of that, I feel that it's necessary for the government to require them to ensure that environmental standards are met since they probably won't do it themselves.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2004, 04:59:05 PM »

We all know that corporations don't give a damn about the enviornment...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2004, 07:11:26 PM »

This is like saying "People cannot be trusted to voluntarily obey the speed limit" with the added caveat that the speed limit is for their own good while pollution controls are for the public's good.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 10:05:51 PM »

This is like saying "People cannot be trusted to voluntarily obey the speed limit" with the added caveat that the speed limit is for their own good while pollution controls are for the public's good.

Limit? I've always thought of it as a recommended speed lol

Has anyone read a simple little book by Dr. Seuss called The Lorax? I would reccomend you read the bloody thing. Anyway I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY AGREE!!!!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 01:07:04 AM »

Strongly agree.

Corporations can't be trusted because consumers can't be trusted.  Even if each tissue chopped down a rainforest, you can bet that at least 10% of consumers would buy those tissues if they were  50 cents cheaper.  In addition, the consumer body at large won't react to environmental issues until they've already crossed the line into a crisis.  Government action and environmental regulations are thus needed.

I'm not militant about this, I'm just a skeptic of the free market.  I'm in favor of drilling in ANWR and off all of the US Coastlines, so I think I'm fairly moderate on the environment issue.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 01:36:13 AM »

Strongly agree.

Corporations can't be trusted because consumers can't be trusted.  Even if each tissue chopped down a rainforest, you can bet that at least 10% of consumers would buy those tissues if they were  50 cents cheaper.  In addition, the consumer body at large won't react to environmental issues until they've already crossed the line into a crisis.  Government action and environmental regulations are thus needed.

I'm not militant about this, I'm just a skeptic of the free market.  I'm in favor of drilling in ANWR and off all of the US Coastlines, so I think I'm fairly moderate on the environment issue.

Good point, the failure of the free market is often that there is an inability to look forward to what is good for the long run; in a completely unregulated free market there is much more incentive to look short term than there is to look long term. There's no guarantee that you'll even survive to see the long term, so you have to do what is best for you economically NOW as a corporation in order to survive.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 10:43:13 AM »

Strongly agree.

That's pretty much consistent with what I said earlier. Some corporations can be trusted with the environment because the customers they pander to are environmentalists. But other than that yes, they'll pollute if it's profitable and legal.
Brutus
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 02:41:27 PM »

Strongly agree.

I think this sums up the core of the problem.  Corporations aren't evil; they're just amoral (not immoral) collectives answering the demands of consumers:  low prices at any cost.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies