Does Tim Cahill's Decision to run as an Independent now Appear Clairvoyant?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:48:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Does Tim Cahill's Decision to run as an Independent now Appear Clairvoyant?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Tim Cahill's Decision to run as an Independent now Appear Clairvoyant?  (Read 1209 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
« edited: January 21, 2010, 11:52:52 AM by Lunar »

He's running as an Independent former Democrat.  I'm interested in how the special election to replace Ted has impacted forecasts on this race.

http://bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/20100116poll_independents_abandoning_deval_patrick_in_droves/srvc=home&position=2

Independent voters have deserted Gov. Deval Patrick, an ominous sign in the first-term incumbent’s quest for re-election this year, according to a new Suffolk University/7News poll.

“There’s a void, similar to the void that was filled with Scott Brown, that appears to be opening up with independents in this poll,” said David Paleologos, director of Suffolk University’s Political Research Center.

“That certainly leaves the door open for (state Treasurer) Tim Cahill or (GOP candidate) Charlie Baker, given that the independents are fed up with (Patrick.)”

Patrick is viewed unfavorably by a whopping 63 percent of independents, who make up the largest bloc of voters in the state, the poll found. Most voters, 56 percent, disapprove of the job he’s doing, while only 35 percent approve, according to the poll, which surveyed 500 likely voters Monday through Wednesday.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »

You didn't need a crystal ball to know that Deval would be vulnerable, but there was nothing especially prescient about Cahill's switch. He's well aware that he'd be a slam dunk as the Democratic nominee, but he's similarly aware that ousting Deval in a Democratic primary would be a dicey proposition at best.

I don't know that the Brown/Coakley race shifted things much. Deval was in miserable shape before, and he's in miserable shape after.

The race could get interesting once it begins getting fired up. I honestly think Cahill has something of a glass jaw, and Democrats and Republicans alike may be interested at taking a few swings at it. Then again, Charlie Baker has the stink of a health care big wig on him, and that could be especially disastrous in 2010.

It upsets me that the worst possible option could win re-election because there were too many people interested in taking him down.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »

What is so wrong about Patrick anyway? I've never heard any specific complaints about him.

Will WalterMitty be the only person in the state who didn't vote for him in 2006 but will vote for him now?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:22 PM »

What is so wrong about Patrick anyway? I've never heard any specific complaints about him.

Will WalterMitty be the only person in the state who didn't vote for him in 2006 but will vote for him now?

The economy. Also he is not the best friend of the Machine which will be inclined to hang him out to dry in 2010. Though being the only the option the Machine has over a Liberal Republican and turncoat fiscally Conservative Independent former Dem who just picked a Pro-Life Repub as his running mate.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »

No.
live free or die
vane
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -4.43

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:50:59 PM »

Cahill would have my full support if I resided in Massachusetts.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies