When Will Andrew Cuomo Announce His Candidcy for Governor of New York?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:04:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  When Will Andrew Cuomo Announce His Candidcy for Governor of New York?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When Will Andrew Cuomo Announce His Candidcy for Governor of New York?  (Read 11029 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »

Has there been a poll anyway showing Paterson's approval among blacks? I'm curious. I'm kind of wondering who the hell the 25% or so are, much like the 15% with Bob Taft.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »

Has there been a poll anyway showing Paterson's approval among blacks? I'm curious. I'm kind of wondering who the hell the 25% or so are, much like the 15% with Bob Taft.

For Paterson, blacks and hardcore liberals. For Taft, hardcore conservatives, teabaggers, and people who remember his great-grandfather's Presidency fondly.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 03:36:13 AM »

The hardcore conservatives and teabaggers HATED Taft. Similarly I'm getting the same impression from hardcore liberals about Paterson.

The most likely explanation is people who are very partisan but generally apolitical, aka they always show up to vote for their party but don't really care about what happens after the election.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 03:39:39 AM »

Doesn't Cuomo leader Paterson among blacks?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »

He swamps him among blacks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 11:17:41 PM »

Do you know anyone personally who likes Paterson?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 03:32:01 AM »

No, not really... although many non-political people barely know who the guy is in the first place.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 03:37:44 AM »

I like Paterson.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 01:49:28 AM »

Governor Paterson's 15-year-old son was detained by the NYPD for loitering for the purposes of gambling and found in possession of a stolen credit card today.  That would give Paterson a convenient excuse to drop out of the race.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:35 AM »

So do I.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »

The difference between the Spitzer/Paterson of 2006 and the Spitzer/Paterson of today has got to be one of the biggest declines in American political history.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 12:49:10 AM »

The difference between the Spitzer/Paterson of 2006 and the Spitzer/Paterson of today has got to be one of the biggest declines in American political history.

Meh, I'd argue Patrick has been worse. Spitzer has handled everything post-resignation perfectly and is now a viable candidate again. I remember a very sympathetic TIME article about him recently. Paterson was never that big of a deal on the ticket. Even in terms of approvals, Arnold Schwarzenegger arguably did worse in his collapse.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 03:06:13 AM »

I don't like his policies but I find him to be of a much better character than any democrat in that state.  He's been thrown under the bus and for that matter so has Charlie Rangel by democrats who have done much worse things.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 05:13:19 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2010, 05:16:35 AM by Lunar »

The difference between the Spitzer/Paterson of 2006 and the Spitzer/Paterson of today has got to be one of the biggest declines in American political history.[/quote.]

Meh, I'd argue Patrick has been worse. Spitzer has handled everything post-resignation perfectly and is now a viable candidate again. I remember a very sympathetic TIME article about him recently. Paterson was never that big of a deal on the ticket. Even in terms of approvals, Arnold Schwarzenegger arguably did worse in his collapse.

It's hard to beat Paterson's sense of humor.  From his stand-up comedic roleplay-mocking of blind, disabled people criticizing him on TV ads to his statement that he plans to be president in 2017 because "once you go black, you never go back,"  Paterson seriously has one of my favorite personalities in politics.

A good governor can spurn special interests and convince the people he is doing is good for them.  Paterson, when he's not taking the racial, bombastic perspective on public issues, is good at taking the "right" position on issues but is not particularly adept at convincing people that he took the right issue.

Him being genuinely one of the funniest politicians in America (in a non-ironic/sarcastic way) is why I like him.  He's a bit of a moderate hero on economic issues, and everyone knows how I'm a sucker for that Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »

So you just admitted to Moderate Heroism.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »

If blacks start to dislike Cuomo if/when he enters (assuming Paterson stays in the race), Cuomo can always tell them that Obama personally told Paterson to withdraw from the race.

And how well did it go over in NY when Obama hinted that "we want Cuomo, not you"?

NYers don't like be told what to do.  Especially by outsiders.

It worked pretty well in clearing the primary field for Gillibrand.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2010, 01:24:12 AM »

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo has pledges for contributions that would put him above the $16.1 million his campaign reported yesterday, a supporter familiar with his fundraising operation said.

Cuomo’s treasury already totals more than five times the $3 million banked by Governor David Paterson. Cuomo associates say he intends to challenge Paterson in a Sept. 14 Democratic primary election.

The Cuomo supporter, who requested anonymity, said that fundraisers asked some donors to defer contributions to help create momentum as the primary approaches and that others preferred to pay in installments. Some strategists didn’t want the campaign to appear too confident, the person said.

“There’s two measures at this point, the polls and the money, and now Cuomo can say, ‘Not only do I have strong poll numbers, but I’m going to outspend you,’” said Doug Muzzio, professor of urban politics at Baruch College in Manhattan.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-16/cuomo-raised-more-than-16-million-for-n-y-race-person-says.html
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 01:26:03 AM »

Just go ahead and declare what everyone knows dude.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2010, 01:35:11 AM »

It was a more than a bit mocking if you couldn't tell.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 01:36:06 AM »

If blacks start to dislike Cuomo if/when he enters (assuming Paterson stays in the race), Cuomo can always tell them that Obama personally told Paterson to withdraw from the race.

And how well did it go over in NY when Obama hinted that "we want Cuomo, not you"?

Schumer did a lot of that, Obama was the cherry on top for dissuading Israel
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »

Schumer did a lot of that, Obama was the cherry on top for dissuading Israel

I think it would have been good if Israel ran. That way, we could get a more reliable Democrat in his House seat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2010, 01:42:03 AM »

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo has pledges for contributions that would put him above the $16.1 million his campaign reported yesterday, a supporter familiar with his fundraising operation said.

Cuomo’s treasury already totals more than five times the $3 million banked by Governor David Paterson. Cuomo associates say he intends to challenge Paterson in a Sept. 14 Democratic primary election.

The Cuomo supporter, who requested anonymity, said that fundraisers asked some donors to defer contributions to help create momentum as the primary approaches and that others preferred to pay in installments. Some strategists didn’t want the campaign to appear too confident, the person said.

Is it just me or is that REALLY stupid?  While it will probably work for Cuomo as he seems a lock for the governorship, and it works in theory, having a check that you've already cashed and put in your campaign account is probably 50% more valuable than someone promising to give you a check on a later date.  

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »

The New York Daily News reports Cuomo will announce he's running for governor at the end of March.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 09:39:23 PM »

The New York Daily News reports Cuomo will announce he's running for governor at the end of March.

Good news.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies