Do you think spanking (in general) should be illegal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:19:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you think spanking (in general) should be illegal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Do you think spanking (in general) should be illegal?  (Read 7011 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 06, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »

I'm not convinced it's especially effective, and it seems to communicate an odd sense of right and wrong.  There's not always going to be an authority around to physically punish you, and when it comes to adults, it'd be assault.  The entire spanking thing is contingent on "I'm physically stronger and in a position of authority -- and you're young enough that it's suborned."  I completely understand that this is lost on most kids, but once it isn't, the whole concept seems to fall apart.  It seems that there are better, more reality-reflective ways of instilling the idea that poor behavior leads to consequences.  Yes, kids need those consequences to be more immediately connected with the misbehavior.  But putting aside ethics and problems with the practicality of the "lesson" given, why assume that this is even the best way of making that connection?  The research on efficacy seems pretty damn mixed.  It would have to be pretty obviously superior to consider this, IMO, and it doesn't seem that way.

Legality-wise:  I have a tough time swallowing the exemption that makes it not simple assault.  I hate the idea of punishing well-intentioned people for doing what they think is right, but if this exemption didn't already exist, and someone was proposing it, I'd be against it.  But, like I said, I'm not rushing to punish good, well-intentioned people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies