MA Senate Special Election Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA Senate Special Election Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Massachusetts US Senate Special Election ?
Martha Coakley (D)

Martha Coakley (R)

Martha Coakley (L/I/G/O)

Scott Brown (R)

Scott Brown (D)

Scott Brown (L/I/G/O)

Joseph Kennedy (L/I/G/O)

Joseph Kennedy (R)

Joseph Kennedy (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: MA Senate Special Election Poll  (Read 9181 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »

Coakley so far, but she needs to get her act together.

Why? as an independent(which I assume you are from you avatar), how can you vote for Coakley? She isn't going to be an independent voice, only a democrat rubber stamp. Brown at least needs to cross party lines to please constituents.

He's a Former Romney Republican.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »

Coakley
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 08:11:22 PM »

I would probably write in someone.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »

why?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »

Scott Brown wants to kill babies.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »

Well then he should just think of it as vote against Obama and Coakley rather then for Scott Brown. This is the Waterloo that DeMint spoke. Its like the Michigan special election in 1931 that signaled no Republicans were safe anywhere even in there own base districts. We win here and Obama his finished for the rest of the year. By next Congress we will have 45 or 46 Senate seats. He needs to look at the larger goal. And Brown will be gone by 2013 anyway. We win here and any Democrat even in 15% Obama districts could be vulnerable in 2010.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »

SCOTT BROWN
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »

Well then he should just think of it as vote against Obama and Coakley rather then for Scott Brown. This is the Waterloo that DeMint spoke. Its like the Michigan special election in 1931 that signaled no Republicans were safe anywhere even in there own base districts. We win here and Obama his finished for the rest of the year. By next Congress we will have 45 or 46 Senate seats. He needs to look at the larger goal. And Brown will be gone by 2013 anyway. We win here and any Democrat even in 15% Obama districts could be vulnerable in 2010.

I Purple heart it when people made cold political calculation instead of policy proposals!
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2010, 08:51:09 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee, PPT »

I Purple heart it when people made cold political calculation instead of policy proposals!

Don't play dumb with me Marokai. Politics and Policy Proposals run hand in hand. You can't offer your policy proposals till you are in control, and to get in control you need to destroy your opponents and knock them out of office. Winning this seat helps further that.

Think about it Marokai. Would your policy proposals have stood a Ice cube's chance in hell if we had Mitt Romney as President with 48 Senate seats and 190 members in the House right now? No. And what put Obama in the White House? The Financial Crisis of late 2008, not his proposals. Get my point?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »

Don't play dumb with me Marokai. Politics and Policy Proposals run hand in hand. You can't offer your policy proposals till you are in control, and to get in control you need to destroy your opponents and knock them out of office. Winning this seat helps further that.

Oh yeah, remember the Democrats? They proposed nothing until they got in control, right? What we really should do is vote for people on the hope they'll come up with something.

It's the only way.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »

If it looks like an actually winnable race come election day, Brown.

Otherwise, Kennedy.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »

Oh yeah, remember the Democrats? They proposed nothing until they got in control, right? What we really should do is vote for people on the hope they'll come up with something.

It's the only way.

Actually technically the Democrats haven't come up with anything in decades. They did come up with a lot of sh**t I will grant you that but thats not saying much.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 08:56:45 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2010, 09:01:42 PM by Ebenezer Scrooge »

The one that comes from the party that doesn't control the entire state. (I)

Edit: Scott Brown is a moderate IMO. It appears he would not support repealing Roe v. Wade nor would he vote for a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a women.

Oh, and his election would effectively make Democrats start over on healthcare Grin
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »

Is that how you make all your political decisions; voting, who to criticize, etc? Just whoever has power?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »

Is that how you make all your political decisions; voting, who to criticize, etc? Just whoever has power?

In a state overrun by wacko Liberals the only to be Independent is to vote Republican.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »

No. Off the top of my head, I support Mark Udall, Orrin Hatch, Ron Wyden. Massachusetts is the only state that hasn't elected or reelected a person from the state's minority party in almost a decade (8 years), making it a unique exception.

I support Brown because he seems to be reasonably moderate on social issues and him being elected would effectively kill the current healthcare bill.

Besides, I have yet to know of a sitting Republican in New England I didn't like (not including state legislature, county offices, etc).
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »

In a state overrun by wacko Liberals the only way to be Independent is to vote Republican.

Oh, and this Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »

Marokai, how is this any different then Liberals voting for Blue Dogs like Jason Altmire, Heath Shuler, Jim Marshall or Gene Taylor? Or supporting very conservative candidates in Red states because they are the only ones that can win there? Because having your party in controll increases the liklihood that you will get some of your policies enacted. Look I me I support primarying of all Amnesty supporters but only in Red states and give people like the Maine ladies a free pass. Why? Because that is the best I can hope for in Maine. Whereas I know we can do better then some of these Amnesty supporters in Red or Swing States. I oppose most pork barrelers regardless of state or ideology. Those are the only two real deal breakers for me. Other then I don't give a damn if the candidate is Pro-Gay or Pro-Abortion, or whatever. I supported Lynn Jenkins in the general election in KS-02 for the same reason. She was a tax hiker and pro-choice. However she was tough on border security, pork spending and got us the House seat back.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »

Marokai, how is this any different then Liberals voting for Blue Dogs like Jason Altmire, Heath Shuler, Jim Marshall or Gene Taylor? Or supporting very conservative candidates in Red states because they are the only ones that can win there? Because having your party in controll increases the liklihood that you will get some of your policies enacted. Look I me I support primarying of all Amnesty supporters but only in Red states and give people like the Maine ladies a free pass. Why? Because that is the best I can hope for in Maine. Whereas I know we can do better then some of these Amnesty supporters in Red or Swing States. I oppose most pork barrelers regardless of state or ideology. Those are the only two real deal breakers for me. Other then I don't give a damn if the candidate is Pro-Gay or Pro-Abortion, or whatever. I supported Lynn Jenkins in the general election in KS-02 for the same reason. She was a tax hiker and pro-choice. However she was tough on border security, pork spending and got us the House seat back.

It's not really the fact that you're supporting him that irks me. You can support him if you like, and it makes sense to support someone over another if the "other" is someone who is so contrary to your beliefs, though it bothers me a teeny tiny bit because I don't really think people actually understand anything about Scott Brown other than "he's kinda pro-choice and he's not a Democrat" I'm willing to let that go.

My beef with Vepres is that he seems to base all of his political endorsements or his positions or his choices of targets to criticize soley on who is in power. If Republicans controlled congress and the Presidency right now, I'd happily bet you fifty dollars he'd be cheering on the Democrat. Vepres' sort of backward idea of how a government should be arranged is a recipe for an utterly deadlocked and paralyzed nation that accomplishes nothing but the most watered-down slap-on-the-wrist reforms and changes.

But that's neither here nor there.

My problem is a broader one, one I brought up with you to begin with. People are supporting the Republican to play a part in the grander scheme of things. Which is what? The right-wing opposition right now seems, to me, to be a movement based on complete and utter ignorance and an unwillingness to go along with any deviation from the status-quo. It doesn't care what the situation is, it doesn't care what the facts are, it doesn't care if something is effective or not, the movement does not care about the truth. And it's let to the Republican party having no message. no policy proposals to flaunt, nothing at all to run on.

What they are running on is, "stop the Democrats" and I simply find that to be absurd. The Republicans aren't running on anything at all, they have no ideas of their own, no solutions whatsoever, but people will happily line up in support of someone who, Hoffman from New York as one of my previous examples, doesn't care about policymaking or any of that complicated "work" stuff.

It simply baffles me that a party that has proposed absolutely nothing of it's own can actually run and possibly win on such a message, and that people such as yourself justify this complete lack of substance by saying "well, maybe when he gets in, we'll come up with something!" It's dangerous, and it's irresponsible, and it's just stupid.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »

What they are running on is, "stop the Democrats" and I simply find that to be absurd. The Republicans aren't running on anything at all, they have no ideas of their own, no solutions whatsoever, but people will happily line up in support of someone who, Hoffman from New York as one of my previous examples, doesn't care about policymaking or any of that complicated "work" stuff.
Better nothing at all than something horrible, which is what the Democrats are running on.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2010, 10:26:17 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee, PPT »

It's not really the fact that you're supporting him that irks me. You can support him if you like, and it makes sense to support someone over another if the "other" is someone who is so contrary to your beliefs, though it bothers me a teeny tiny bit because I don't really think people actually understand anything about Scott Brown other than "he's kinda pro-choice and he's not a Democrat" I'm willing to let that go.

My beef with Vepres is that he seems to base all of his political endorsements or his positions or his choices of targets to criticize soley on who is in power. If Republicans controlled congress and the Presidency right now, I'd happily bet you fifty dollars he'd be cheering on the Democrat. Vepres' sort of backward idea of how a government should be arranged is a recipe for an utterly deadlocked and paralyzed nation that accomplishes nothing but the most watered-down slap-on-the-wrist reforms and changes.

But that's neither here nor there.

My problem is a broader one, one I brought up with you to begin with. People are supporting the Republican to play a part in the grander scheme of things. Which is what? The right-wing opposition right now seems, to me, to be a movement based on complete and utter ignorance and an unwillingness to go along with any deviation from the status-quo. It doesn't care what the situation is, it doesn't care what the facts are, it doesn't care if something is effective or not, the movement does not care about the truth. And it's let to the Republican party having no message. no policy proposals to flaunt, nothing at all to run on.

It simply baffles me that a party that has proposed absolutely nothing of it's own can actually run and possibly win on such a message, and that people such as yourself justify this complete lack of substance by saying "well, maybe when he gets in, we'll come up with something!" It's dangerous, and it's irresponsible, and it's just stupid.

Marokai, what do you want. You want us to kneel down and accept a Public Option that will just create another bankrupt entitlement and won't solve the problems. And don't you dare throw the fact that even a non-public option bill won't get GOP supports. Thats you guys fault for pushing the public option so long, letting Dem leaders ignore us, and stipping good parts of the bill to try and save the public option.  That we should just sit back and accept Climate change legislation that risks sending millions of jobs overseas with mere "hopes" that it will create new industries, based on a "debateable" theory. That we should sit back and watch as Barack Obama restarts that great Wave of Illegal Immigration by passing Amnesty with only show piece border security and faux crackdowns on employers. The idea that we have proposed nothing is created by your leftward bias. It should be phrased, "You haven't offered anything, I like" lol. Well Marokai, thats why you are a Democrat aren't you? Get mad, get glad and get over it.

I prefer the crossroads or inflection point analogy of Romney. We can go left or right. Either way American will be fundamentally changed. But the idea that the GOP fights for no reforms is nonesense. In 2012 our nominee, if he is too win, will have to have a set of reforms in mind on Education, Health care, and Energy. These will not be cave ins to utopian visions of Liberals such as yourself either.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 10:41:31 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2010, 10:47:27 PM by Thomas E. Dewey »

Scott Brown or most anyone else who is not a Kennedy patsy.

Although I really cannot see a Republican winning this Senate seat, not in Leftist  Massachusetts.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

Currently its:

Coakley(D) 52.8%
Brown(R)    45.2%
Kennedy(I)   1.9%

Wouldn't be surprised if thats the final result of the special election.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 11:34:28 PM »

I was just thinking about how hilarious it would be if Coakley lost because Kennedy the independent stole a few % points from her.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »

I was just thinking about how hilarious it would be if Coakley lost because Kennedy the independent stole a few % points from her.

I can actually see that happening (The Kennedy name stealing votes, not her losing, although I hope Brown wins).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies