Opinion of this principle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:31:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of this principle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: See below
Good principle (R)

Good principle (D)

Good principle (I/O)

Idiotic principle (R)

Idiotic principle (D)

Idiotic principle (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of this principle  (Read 3417 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:28:47 AM »

Years ago, when I first became interested in politics, I had the thought that politicians should abide by the laws that they make, so I swore to myself that I would always do the best to follow the law (it goes with my nature of being a law and order conservative).

So, I've committed to not drinking before I turn 21 (at least while in the U.S.), not speeding, not illegally downloading music, etc.

Through college, it's become increasingly hard to stick to my principle (especially not drinking), so I was wondering what you guys think.  Is this a solid principle, or just me being no fun and lame?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »

I find the fact that you're letting other people decide whether your principles are good or not is idiotic.

Stick to what you want to do, regardless.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:34:06 AM »

Idiotic principle. Do what's fun as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:34:56 AM »

It seems foolish to me, though I guess it is somewhat admirable that you at least practice what you preach if you are going to be an authoritarian regardless.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 04:35:59 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2010, 04:37:38 AM by Glenn Beck Makes Me Want to Be a Communist »

Following the law is noble, if you believe in the law.  BUT... if you blindly follow the leadership even though you feel you disagree with its decision, that is not noble.

It is up for you to decide.  If you decided that all these laws are good because you believe in them, then your principle is solid.  But if you decided all these laws are good simply because they are laws, then your principle is not solid, as it makes you nothing more than a pawn.

And, to +1 Marokai, I find it quite comical that you are letting other people decide whether your principle to follow the laws other people set in front of you to be a good thing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:13 AM »

Good principle for me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:30 AM »

I actually still have a tough time believing there are actually people who wait until they're 21 to drink. Was my university just very abnormal? But when there's tons of easy access to alcohol, a relatively low chance of being caught, and not much in terms of consequences even if you do get caught, there's not much reason not to.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:26 AM »

I find the fact that you're letting other people decide whether your principles are good or not is idiotic.

Stick to what you want to do, regardless.

Oh, I'm not letting you guys decide for me whether or not it's a good principle - I'll stick to this til the day I die - I was just curious what you think.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:40:06 AM »

I actually still have a tough time believing there are actually people who wait until they're 21 to drink. Was my university just very abnormal? But when there's tons of easy access to alcohol, a relatively low chance of being caught, and not much in terms of consequences even if you do get caught, there's not much reason not to.

I'm 19 and I've never drank anything, but that's more out of a lack of interest than any sort of "I'm gonna save myself!" thing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 05:12:37 AM »

If you believe a law is evil in its consequences, would you still follow it? This obviously doesn't really apply to "this is not legal, therefore I don't do it" and "this is legal, but that doesn't mean I have to do it" situations, but to situations where a course of action is legally prescribed.

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 05:20:00 AM »

It's a good principle for what you believe - perfectly logical and consistent. Good on you for following through on it.

I completely disagree with it, myself, and think that breaking bad laws if you can get away with it is commendable, but that's just me.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:29:09 AM »

If you believe a law is evil in its consequences, would you still follow it? This obviously doesn't really apply to "this is not legal, therefore I don't do it" and "this is legal, but that doesn't mean I have to do it" situations, but to situations where a course of action is legally prescribed.

That would depend on what the "evil" consequences are, and the definition of evil in that case.  But if it was a situation where 99% of Americans would agree with me that it was an evil law, then no, I wouldn't do it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »

That would depend on what the "evil" consequences are, and the definition of evil in that case. 
Evil by your own definition.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 05:34:47 AM »

That would depend on what the "evil" consequences are, and the definition of evil in that case.  But if it was a situation where 99% of Americans would agree with me that it was an evil law, then no, I wouldn't do it.

So you do in fact allow other people to decide your opinions for you?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 05:55:38 AM »

So you do in fact allow other people to decide your opinions for you?

No.  I'm just saying that it would depend what we're talking about as "evil".  If it involved killing somebody, in order to follow some law (other than following out a capital punishment), I probably wouldn't follow the law.  My point was that some people would call things "evil" that really aren't evil.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »

A good, solid principle Inks.  Keep it up.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »

Does this also include things like speeding, out of interest?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

Fake French-Italian. Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »

If you think it's a good principle, than it's a good principle for you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »

Idiotic principle. Do what's fun as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »

Phil said he didn't.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »

Noble and reasonable principle.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »

Phil said he didn't.

Yes, but Phil was a mega-prude. I've never met anyone like him in real life and have a tough time even conceptualizing such a person frankly. At my college you either drank or you weren't interested, no one was "waiting". It's kind of pointless to just refuse to drink on principle anyway if you're at a party or everyone around you is.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

Oh I think its a very respectable principle. It is, though, very difficult indeed. I have also committed to no drinking until I am 21, as well as no speeding, and most other things, although I admit I do pirate my ass off with music/games.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »

Solid. Having self discipline is a good thing to be able to do. And when you stick it out to the end you feel accomplished. I think you should stick to it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies