The Survival of the Ancien Régime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:59:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Survival of the Ancien Régime
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Survival of the Ancien Régime  (Read 3297 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »

Author’s Introduction:

This, good readers, is the final volume of my monumental Histoire de France1, a two decade labor of love.  It has been a far from easy task, the composition of this work.  I admit that when I began it in the late 1980’s, at the request of my good friend Jacques Pierre DeLacy2, who sadly did not live to see this work’s completion, I did not expect it to be as sprawling a work as it has been.  I expected, humorously, to have it occupy just one volume, no more than five hundred pages in length.

This work covers France from the failure of the Great Revolution, and the abdication of Louis l'Echec, to the modern day, concluding with the 80th birthday celebration of Our Most Beloved Monarch, Henri V.  It will, I hope, satisfy both the serious historian, and the reader who, having not opened a history book since his school days, will find enjoyable.

Before I swing open the doors to the main text of this work, I have some people to thank.  First, my wife, Isabelle, for patiently reading this entire work, in its many installations, and for all her help these past twenty years.  My friends, Frederick Cousteau3, Bernard St. Claire4, and André Toubon5, for all of their wonderful editing to my manuscript, including entire sections which were re-written on their advice.  Finally, my editor, Charles Blanchot, for his extreme patience in waiting for this final volume, and then, once a volume was submitted, for spending even more time working on it, editing it with the same careful eye as he had the previous two volumes.  Without his patience, and his faith in me, this work would have either been never published, or passed off to a speedier writer five years ago at least.

Now, without further delay, I present the final volume in my work; I wish you all a bonne lecture!

1 Volume 1 The Formation of the Kingdom, from Pre-History to Charlemagne (Royal Publishing, 1990); Volume 2, Dawning Empire, from Charlemagne to The Failed Revolution (Royal Publishing, 1993)
2 1931-2005, Professor of Modern French History at the Faculté des Sciences Humaines et Sociales – Sorbonne from 1962-1996
3 Born 1936, Professor of French History at Oxford University since 1971
4 Born 1923, Professor of International Relations at the Université de Genève from 1950-1998
5 Born 1927, Professor of International Relations at the Universidad de Madrid from 1977-1992

There will be a mix of real and imaginary figures that appear in this timeline.  If anyone has any special requests for people in the future, PM them to me, and I’ll see what I can do.  Most of the people referenced in the footnotes, and nearly all of the works, are fictional, and of my own invention.  This will focus very much on France, but if anyone has questions about other countries, feel free to ask in the thread.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »

I don't see a plausible way that the Ancien Regime could survive considering the abundance of crises that plagued it during the latter half of the 18th century, but I sincerely wish you all the best especially continuing the rule House of Bourbon.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »

CONTINUE
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:15 PM »

I will, but this sort of thing takes a lot of time.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »

I don't see a plausible way that the Ancien Regime could survive considering the abundance of crises that plagued it during the latter half of the 18th century, but I sincerely wish you all the best especially continuing the rule House of Bourbon.

It could continue as a Constitutional Monarchy. Of course, even that would be a significant change.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »

This will happen, eventually.  I promise.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »

It could continue as a Constitutional Monarchy. Of course, even that would be a significant change.

No.

Louis hated the 1791 Constitution as it was, and that wasn't even a constitutional monarchy.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »

I'm kind of feeling like reviving this.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:35:38 PM »

If you can make it realistic, I'll stick by what I said almost two years ago:

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »

If you can make it realistic, I'll stick by what I said almost two years ago:

Hopefully I can get it together.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 02:29:43 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2012, 02:32:29 PM by Commander of Moonbase Newton »

The only way to make this half-way realistic is to have a very early POD, like a hundred years before the onset of the French Revolution or something. Of course this would mean to have a very different Ancien Régime from almost the start.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies