Opinion of the UK's Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:05:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of the UK's Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the UK's Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Freedom scheme

Horrible scheme

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Opinion of the UK's Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)  (Read 1080 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »

Freedom scheme.

It's a pity that it'll probably one of the first things that Cameron cuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Maintenance_Allowance
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »

I'm on it.

Positive I guess, seeing as I can't get a job. Cameron better not cut it or I shan't be voting for him next time round.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:28:45 PM »

Doesn't sound that great to me.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »

I'm on it.

Positive I guess, seeing as I can't get a job. Cameron better not cut it or I shan't be voting for him next time round.

I should be starting it next year when I start sixth form. I'm willing to give Cameron a chance, but I agree, if it's cut, then the Tories certainly won't be getting my vote in 2014/15.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »

I'm on it.

I should be starting it next year when I start sixth form. I'm willing to give Cameron a chance, but I agree, if it's cut, then the Tories certainly won't be getting my vote in 2014/15.

Are you voting Tory this year?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »

I'm on it.

Neither of us are old enough yet, but we will be when the next election comes round.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »

I'm on it.

Neither of us are old enough yet, but we will be when the next election comes round.

Oops, forgot to check the age Smiley
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDqCVh4_0-g

...okay...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »

I'm going to start encouraging people to vote Labour or Lib Democrat.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »

I administered the EMA scheme for my local authority; one of the first jobs I had. It's not a fair system and the numbers of well off families who diddle the sums and definition of 'family income' to get money they simply do not need is getting absurd. Of course there is also the delicious irony of the EMA, in that it is mere tokenism given what fees are incurred by students who move onto tertiary education....
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 05:01:58 PM »

I administered the EMA scheme; one of the first jobs I had. It's not a fair system and the numbers of well off families who diddle the sums and definition of 'family income' to get money they simply do not need is getting absurd. Of course there is also the delicious irony of the EMA, in that it is mere tokenism given what fees are incurred by students who move onto tertiary education....

I don't think you're considering the many who DO need it. My family are going through a rough time at the moment, and I need the money.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »

I administered the EMA scheme; one of the first jobs I had. It's not a fair system and the numbers of well off families who diddle the sums and definition of 'family income' to get money they simply do not need is getting absurd. Of course there is also the delicious irony of the EMA, in that it is mere tokenism given what fees are incurred by students who move onto tertiary education....

I don't think you're considering the many who DO need it. My family are going through a rough time at the moment, and I need the money.

Oh I do; it's an example of the EMA not being able to be used for what it was intended; I know it goes towards helping out teenagers and their families with bills and the household allowance; that's not what it's for. The government is relying on EMA to plug a gap in family finances instead of providing tax relief.

And for the record David Cameron on the 14th of this month re-iterated he is opposed to abolishing the EMA.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:09:25 PM »

Just out of interest, do you still so strongly oppose the NHS?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »

Yes. It should be sold to the workers.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 05:12:09 PM »

But you do seem to have grown quite accepting of the general idea that government can actually be a positive force in helping people in financial trouble?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »

So let me get this straight. You oppose the NHS because you've not had to use it, but back the EMA because you do. I take it if you break your leg you'll support the NHS because you had to use it, and when you're too old for EMA you'll oppose it Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »

But you do seem to have grown quite accepting of the general idea that government can actually be a positive force in helping people in financial trouble?

Sometimes. I still think it has far too many flaws to be worth it though.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »

So let me get this straight. You oppose the NHS because you've not had to use it, but back the EMA because you do. I take it if you break your leg you'll support the NHS because you had to use it, and when you're too old for EMA you'll oppose it Smiley

Nah. I'd prefer to use private if I broke my leg, but I think my parents would have something to say about that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies