If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:22:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Brown wins, what is the status of Kirk's vote on the healthcare bill?  (Read 2879 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »

If Brown wins, the Democrats would consider having the house approve the Senate bill as it is, thus sending it to the President. However, would that be legal? Would Kirk's vote be as if it didn't exist?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »

It would put serious pressure on Pelosi to fess up and get her chamber to swallow it as is.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »

It would put serious pressure on Pelosi to fess up and get her chamber to swallow it as is.

But is it legal? Legally, it is questionable if they can do that.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:06:13 AM »

Kirk is actually ineligible to vote after the election, from what I've heard. (according to mass law, atleast)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:11:54 AM »

If Brown wins, the Democrats would consider having the house approve the Senate bill as it is, thus sending it to the President. However, would that be legal? Would Kirk's vote be as if it didn't exist?

Yes, Kirk was a legitimate Senator at the time the vote was cast.  It obviously did exist, and the chair declared it adopted.  

That was only on cloture where his vote made a difference.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 01:39:03 AM »

However, would that be legal? Would Kirk's vote be as if it didn't exist?

Yes and No.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:42 AM »

Considering Kirk was legally a senator when the vote was cast, it would be a little tricky to invalidate it, no?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:09:22 AM »

Of course.

Kirk was legally a United States Senator when that vote was held. It would also be legal for him to cast another vote for healthcare even after the election, as long as the vote in MA is still being certified (and there are no obvious delaying tactics.)

Saying Kirk's vote is illegitimate is nothing more than a talking point with nothing to back it up.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »

This is an interesting legal question,

However, I suspect at least one Democrat Senator would realize that such a tactic would so enrage the voters that they would decline to vote for the bill.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:36 AM »

Of course.

Kirk was legally a United States Senator when that vote was held. It would also be legal for him to cast another vote for healthcare even after the election, as long as the vote in MA is still being certified (and there are no obvious delaying tactics.)

Saying Kirk's vote is illegitimate is nothing more than a talking point with nothing to back it up.

I've just read some things that made me doubt it, but I guess the answer is clear Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 09:02:53 AM »

Of course.

I've just read some things that made me doubt it, but I guess the answer is clear Smiley

I'm sure Republicans will present that argument regardless Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »

Of course.

Not that the house will ever pass the Senate bill anyway Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »

Of course.

I still think they might with the promise to correct certain parts through the reconciliation process.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »

Of course.

I still think they might with the promise to correct certain parts through the reconciliation process.

If there is a reconciliation process, the Senate would have to vote on the final product again, thus defeating the purpose of the house passing the Senate bill in the first place.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 02:23:51 PM »

Of course.

If there is a reconciliation process, the Senate would have to vote on the final product again, thus defeating the purpose of the house passing the Senate bill in the first place.

The thought being that the House passes the Senate bill as written....and certain other issues about taxation and what not are handled in addition by the reconciliation process.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »

However, I suspect at least one Democrat Senator would realize that such a tactic would so enrage the voters that they would decline to vote for the bill.

Jim Webb: "it would only be fair and prudent that we suspend further votes on health care legislation until Senator-elect Brown is seated."

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 02:46:31 AM »

Jim Webb: "it would only be fair and prudent that we suspend further votes on health care legislation until Senator-elect Brown is seated."

What does that have to do with legality? It just means Webb is interested in damage control.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

What does that have to do with legality? It just means Webb is interested in damage control.

Sorry, but, there would only be a legal "controversey" if the Senate were to seek to vote on the so-called Health Care Reform proposal after the election but before seating of Senator-elect Brown.

Therefor, no case or controversey.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 02:32:54 AM »

His vote was and still is perfectly legal and legitimate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies