MO: Rasmussen: Carnahan loses lead to Blunt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:34:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  MO: Rasmussen: Carnahan loses lead to Blunt
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MO: Rasmussen: Carnahan loses lead to Blunt  (Read 3025 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:03:13 AM »

New Poll: Missouri Senator by Rasmussen on 2010-1-19

Summary: D: 43%, R: 49%, I: 3%, U: 5%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:25:27 PM »

Told you this would happen. The environment will save Missouri for us.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:34 PM »

Nice
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »

SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »

I don't think it'll last. Even in this climate, Roy Blunt is too wingnut even for Missouri.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »

I don't think it'll last. Even in this climate, Roy Blunt is too wingnut even for Missouri.

Not really. Missouri is more conservative then people think.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:18:07 AM »

Well, I knew it was conservative enough, but I was under the impression that it wasn't Oklahoma. Frankly, that's one of the few places I'd ever expect Blunt to have a chance at.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »

Missouri has a history of close Senate elections. That's why this seems to be the only seat the Dems have a chance at picking up now.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »

Well, I knew it was conservative enough, but I was under the impression that it wasn't Oklahoma. Frankly, that's one of the few places I'd ever expect Blunt to have a chance at.

outside of Kansas City and St. Louis it is, give or take a few counties like Boone and St. Genevieve
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »

I think it'll remain pretty close. I'd probably bet on Blunt at this point though. Sad
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »

The dynamics of the race favor Blunt.  He's a conservative running in a conservative state in a Republican year
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 06:27:28 AM »

I thought Rasmussen wasn't really a credible pollster since it's commissioned by Fox News?

The campaign between Robin Carnahan and Roy Blunt hasn't actually started yet, and while I'm pretty sure he'll receive the GOP nomination, he's being primaried by State Senator Chuck Purgason (R-Caulfield) so that may bloody him up a bit before he faces Carnahan, whom I believe still has the advantage. While it's certainly shaping up to be a bad political climate for Democrats, Missouri is the best chance Democrats have at picking up a seat. Robin is a popular politician who was reelected Secretary of State in 2008 with the most votes ever cast for a single candidate in the state's history, winning all but 10 of Missouri's 114 counties (most of these 10 were in Southwest Missouri too - Roy Blunt's stomping grounds, coincidentally).

Nepotism is going to play a big role in this race, meaning that the candidates' last names are going to be their strengths/weaknesses for Robin and Roy, respectively. I'm sure I don't need to tell you all that her father Mel was a very popular Governor of Missouri and Blunt's son Matt was the second least popular Governor in the nation (only in front of Ernie Fletcher).

Roy is too much of a wing nut for the state, whereas Robin's centrist image fits the state well. As I predicted, she's already beginning to distance herself from Obama by denouncing his latest budget/deficit plan.

It's going to be a close race, as most all elections in Missouri are, but if looking to the 2006 Senate race between Jim Talent and Claire McCaskill is any indication, Robin cannot simply rely upon St. Louis and Kansas City to deliver for her, which I'm sure she knows. She clearly has appeal in the rural areas, which is good for any Democrat, so if she's able to rack up the margins in the Bootheel and the Lead Belt, she may be able to overcome Blunt's strong margins in Southwest Missouri. She'll also need to hope for and court the younger vote, particularly in Boone County (Columbia - home of Mizzou), as well as the suburban vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies