Romney Veep
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:10:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Veep
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Romney Veep  (Read 6179 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »

A very Conservative southern senator. Can't think of a good enough name though.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 05:07:06 PM »

A very Conservative southern senator. Can't think of a good enough name though.

Jim DeMint
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »

Mitt Romney will never win the Republican nomination.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »

Evidence?
ConservativeIllini
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »

Thune or Rubio.  Thune would get the evangelicals, Rubio (assuming he wins the Senate Race, which is far from assured I know) could bring in at least a few Hispanics.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »

DeMint actually endorsed Mitt last time around, so maybe... but he'd be too polarizing. They'd need a fresh face who can speak intelligently.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »

DeMint actually endorsed Mitt last time around, so maybe... but he'd be too polarizing. They'd need a fresh face who can speak intelligently.

Honestly, DeMint's comments about excluding single mothers from being teachers are, by themselves, just about enough to sink any ambitions he might have of being on a national ticket.  Romney just wouldn't want to take that kind of political risk on him.  Romney would want someone who checks all the boxes of GOP litmus tests, yet simultaneously doesn't frighten swing voters.

I also don't think he would necessarily go with someone like Rubio, who'll be so new to the national political scene, and doesn't have as much experience dealing with national issues or the national media.  Not after the fiasco of the Sarah Palin pick.  Too much of a risk there.  That's why I think Kasich or Portman might be good.  They'll be "new" faces in the 2010 election, if they win, in that they'll be new to statewide office.  But they also have past experience, and have been around long enough to know the game.  But of course, they first have to win this November.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »

Here are some tickets that come to mind

Romney/McDonnell

Romney/Blackburn

Romney/Daniels

Romney/Petraeus

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »

After reading more about him, McDonnell wouldn't be such a bad candidate. He has the image of a moderate, and he won by a huge margin in Virginia. He is giving the SOTU response, amazing that in such short time for any politician. Military service, long history of legislating, it's all there. The only catch is his thesis... that could be a detriment.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »

After reading more about him, McDonnell wouldn't be such a bad candidate. He has the image of a moderate, and he won by a huge margin in Virginia. He is giving the SOTU response, amazing that in such short time for any politician. Military service, long history of legislating, it's all there. The only catch is his thesis... that could be a detriment.

I don't think it would be much of an issue. He handled himself well during the campaign for Governor when it came our, and he doesn't come across as an extremist.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »

I don't think it would be much of an issue. He handled himself well during the campaign for Governor when it came our, and he doesn't come across as an extremist.

Hopefully, you are correct.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 08:31:15 PM »

Portman. Pawlenty maybe. Gingrich to round off the ticket
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »

Portman. Pawlenty maybe. Gingrich to round off the ticket

Gingrich is way too old to be a VP choice.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 12:57:53 AM »

Romney needs a Southerner to shore up an area that he could lose. He has no obvious cause for appeal in the South -- he has a religion as Yankee as it gets. Obama has some chance to pick off a couple of states in the South that he lost in 2008, as he has fairly high approval ratings in South Carolina, Georgia, and even Texas.  44% approval makes a state competitive -- which is where Obama is in Texas and Georgia.   

Forget DeMint, Chambliss, Wicker, Cochrane, Coburn, and Imhofe; they are all too far to the right to appeal in states like Indiana and Ohio. Hutchinson wants out of Washington. Alexander is now as old as Biden. House Majority Whip -- the job that McDonnell wants -- has more power than VP.

Corker? Graham?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 01:35:29 AM »

Romney needs a Southerner to shore up an area that he could lose. He has no obvious cause for appeal in the South -- he has a religion as Yankee as it gets. Obama has some chance to pick off a couple of states in the South that he lost in 2008, as he has fairly high approval ratings in South Carolina, Georgia, and even Texas.  44% approval makes a state competitive -- which is where Obama is in Texas and Georgia.   

Forget DeMint, Chambliss, Wicker, Cochrane, Coburn, and Imhofe; they are all too far to the right to appeal in states like Indiana and Ohio. Hutchinson wants out of Washington. Alexander is now as old as Biden. House Majority Whip -- the job that McDonnell wants -- has more power than VP.

Corker? Graham?

Why does Bob McDonnell want to be majority whip? I think you are mistaken and are referring to Eric Cantor. Tongue
Poundingtherock
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 02:17:46 AM »

Romney isn't winning.  His favorables with Republicans aren't good enough.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 02:48:21 AM »

You don't say.  May I ask when Alexander was younger than Biden?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »

McCain and Giuliani led the field last time. Romney is the only one running who appeals to the big ticket states, and the only one who can reasonably appeal to independents.

While I won't say that he won't win, barring scandal, he has his work cut out for him.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »

Romney isn't winning.  His favorables with Republicans aren't good enough.

McCain and Giuliani led the field last time. Romney is the only one running who appeals to the big ticket states, and the only one who can reasonably appeal to independents.

While I won't say that he won't win, barring scandal, he has his work cut out for him.

1. Pawlenty also appeals to swing voters and independents.

2. This Health Care thing may have destroyed Romney's chances. All the talk radio people have been saying that Browns victory was partly do to the unpopularity of that state's Health care plan. The best challenger to Patrick, Cahil, wants to dismantle it. And Cahil is so serious about winning he is running as a Fiscal Conservative and he picked a Republican member of the State House(who according to what I read is Pro-Life) as his running mate and Cahil was till just a few months ago a Democrat. The Republican candidate, Baker is to left of Cahil, and is trailing way back at third.

3. He can't appeal to the people who are enthusiastic right now. In 2000 the Christian Right was enthusiastic and Bush was the perfect candidate for them. Now its the limited Gov't, Tea Party crowd.

Things aren't looking to good for Romney.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2010, 07:02:09 PM by NiK »

Romney isn't winning.  His favorables with Republicans aren't good enough.

2. This Health Care thing may have destroyed Romney's chances. All the talk radio people have been saying that Browns victory was partly do to the unpopularity of that state's Health care plan. The best challenger to Patrick, Cahil, wants to dismantle it. And Cahil is so serious about winning he is running as a Fiscal Conservative and he picked a Republican member of the State House(who according to what I read is Pro-Life) as his running mate and Cahil was till just a few months ago a Democrat. The Republican candidate, Baker is to left of Cahil, and is trailing way back at third.

3. He can't appeal to the people who are enthusiastic right now. In 2000 the Christian Right was enthusiastic and Bush was the perfect candidate for them. Now its the limited Gov't, Tea Party crowd.

1. True, but he also has to compete with votes with Palin and Huckabee, essentially the same mantra that Romney did last time around. This time, there are no prospective candidates from the left, so the voters in CA and NY may be his.

2. I don't think so. Remember the hot immigration debate back in 2006? Most people thought that it killed McCain's chances. I wouldn't count him out yet.

3. I don't really know how to answer the last one, but I'll concede that. But he does have a well developed supporter base across the country, from what I can gather.

Either way, if Romney isn't nominated, and Palin or Huck is, I'm just gonna vote third party or for Obama. If Sarah Palin ever becomes president, good lord, I don't know what I'll do.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

Um, what big ticket states does Romney appeal to? Utah? Huh
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2010, 07:10:55 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

I never expected NiK was more of a Romney hack than NCYankee. Tongue

Bingo. And as an addition to #3, the Christian Right is still important, and I am sure that they will vote against Romney. Romney is unpopular both with them and with the tea party crowd.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »

Um, what big ticket states does Romney appeal to? Utah? Huh

California, New York, Florida, Illinois.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »

I'll admit that I have been a Romney hack over the last few days. I need to go lie down. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies