Ohio voter interference
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:21:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Ohio voter interference
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ohio voter interference  (Read 6005 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2004, 08:46:05 AM »

The GOP plans to challenge the authenticity of voters registrations in poor black neighborhoods!

http://nytimes.com/2004/10/23/politics/campaign/23vote.html?hp&ex=1098590400&en=b3506ec97533d07e&ei=5094&partner=homepage

This definitely opens a can of worms, but I suppose they may intimidate or prevent from voting a fair number of blacks.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 09:06:30 AM »

I'm glad to know that you consider challenging ineligable[/i] voters to be "intimidation."  Maybe you want one person to vote for Kerry 3 or four times.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

I'm glad to know that you consider challenging ineligable[/i] voters to be "intimidation."  Maybe you want one person to vote for Kerry 3 or four times.

I should think determining the eligability of voters would be the job of election officials, not partison lawyers!
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 12:59:14 PM »

As we have already seen in past elections, said election officials need a little help in telling the difference between an eligible and non-eligible voter, as well as a legal and illegal vote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 03:31:39 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2004, 03:33:10 PM by J. J. »

I should think determining the eligability of voters would be the job of election officials, not partison lawyers!

They are poll watchers, which is what they do.  I believe in PA any registered voter can challenge the credentials of any other registered voter.

Opebo, you really seem to be in favor of voter fraud.
shankbear

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 03:44:49 PM »

just let anybody show up as many times as they want to drag themselves down to the polls to vote.  That would be the ultimate GOTV.  Who would win then?? sarcasm : )
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 04:00:36 PM »

They are poll watchers, which is what they do.  I believe in PA any registered voter can challenge the credentials of any other registered voter.

I would prefer it to people having to deal with vigilante posses confronting them while they attempt to vote.  I think a citizen has a right to expect to be confronted *only* by the duly appointed authorities.  By the same token I don't expect to be pulled over by just some ordinary citizen if I'm out speeding on the highway - that is what the police are for.

The likely result of all this challenging of one individual by another is a brawl or riot.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 04:04:06 PM »

I would prefer it to people having to deal with vigilante posses confronting them while they attempt to vote.  I think a citizen has a right to expect to be confronted *only* by the duly appointed authorities.  By the same token I don't expect to be pulled over by just some ordinary citizen if I'm out speeding on the highway - that is what the police are for.

The likely result of all this challenging of one individual by another is a brawl or riot.

No it is not, as just pointed out.  I cannot walk into any poll in the US and challenge a voter, but, in my state, I certainly could, if a poll watcher and, possibly, if a registered voter.  You seem to not only favor fraud, but denying others their rights under the law.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 04:16:21 PM »

As we have already seen in past elections, said election officials need a little help in telling the difference between an eligible and non-eligible voter, as well as a legal and illegal vote.

A little help from a brownshirt?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 04:18:53 PM »

No it is not, as just pointed out.  I cannot walk into any poll in the US and challenge a voter, but, in my state, I certainly could, if a poll watcher and, possibly, if a registered voter.  You seem to not only favor fraud, but denying others their rights under the law.

I do not favor everyone having a right to inspect the actions of everyone else for legality.  Vigilantism is a recipe for loss of individual rights, rioting, and abuse.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 06:57:16 PM »

When 35,000 recent voter registration cards in Ohio are returned as undelivered, one suspects that those, and likely others are fraudulent.

Here in NJ, it is illegal for voter registration officials to ask for proof of US citizenship.  Since  this is well known in the immigrant comminutes there is a significant non-citizenship vote for Democrats from Hudson, Essex and Camden counties.

on.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 08:23:26 PM »

I do not favor everyone having a right to inspect the actions of everyone else for legality.  Vigilantism is a recipe for loss of individual rights, rioting, and abuse.

This is hardly vigilantism, but thight of an elector or official "challenger" under Ohio law, which is:

§ 3505.20. Challenges.

Any person offering to vote may be challenged at the polling place by any challenger, any elector then lawfully in the polling place, or by any judge or clerk of elections.

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=PORC

Opebo, you are now on record as not only condoning vorter fraud, but of wishing to deprive the electors of their rights under statute.  It sounds quite Stalinist.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 09:17:14 PM »

The GOP plans to challenge the authenticity of voters registrations in poor black neighborhoods!

http://nytimes.com/2004/10/23/politics/campaign/23vote.html?hp&ex=1098590400&en=b3506ec97533d07e&ei=5094&partner=homepage

This definitely opens a can of worms, but I suppose they may intimidate or prevent from voting a fair number of blacks.

Fraudulent registrations SHOULD be challenged!!!

You're really going off the deep end here!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 09:20:50 PM »

Unfortunately, some of the local election officials are turning a blind eye to fraudulent voter registrations.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 09:47:01 PM »

Unfortunately, some of the local election officials are turning a blind eye to fraudulent voter registrations.

If I walk into the polls on election day and see a 4'8", elderly Asian man claiming to be either of my next door neighbor, you are correct that I'm going to challenge it!  (My next door neighbor is a 5'7  African American woman of less than 50).
shankbear

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 11:18:25 PM »

A state voter ID card.  Not valid for any other purpose.  No charge..(poll tax) valid for same interval as drivers license.  The price of a valid election may be at the cost of a bit a hassle, money to administer it and privacy.  just a thought.
James46
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2004, 11:27:33 PM »

Ohio controls its elections very well.  There are some unusual registrations, but they are being checked.  Also, the idiot federal judge in Toledo has been told to shove it by the appellate court regarding provisional ballots.  He is a Clinton appointee, so you know how impartial he is.  Ohio is going Bush and it will be over by 10:00 PM Election night.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 04:08:07 AM »

The Ohio Secretary of State is honest and efficent.

Some of the local authorities leave something to be desired in these two areas.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2004, 04:42:55 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2004, 05:21:55 AM by opebo »

If I walk into the polls on election day and see a 4'8", elderly Asian man claiming to be either of my next door neighbor, you are correct that I'm going to challenge it!  (My next door neighbor is a 5'7  African American woman of less than 50).

How on earth are YOU going to 'see' what someone else is doing?  Are you going to peer over the shoulder of every voter and look at his paperwork?  Perhaps lay a heavy hand on his shoulder and demand to know all about him?  I think citizens have a right to be protected against such intimidation by their fellows.  Only the election officials should be allowed to pry into a voters privacy, and even then only the minimum necessary.
khirkhib

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 05:15:23 AM »

This is why I think we need a national voter ID card, with a secure system that only allows the voter one vote on election day. The ballot itself does not need to be eletric but the registration system should be.  Maybe with biometric safeties.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2004, 09:02:28 AM »

How on earth are YOU going to 'see' what someone else is doing?  Are you going to peer over the shoulder of every voter and look at his paperwork?  Perhaps lay a heavy hand on his shoulder and demand to know all about him?  I think citizens have a right to be protected against such intimidation by their fellows.  Only the election officials should be allowed to pry into a voters privacy, and even then only the minimum necessary.

Well, largely because the the poll workers ask you your name, and in some cases, your address, in turn.  I'm standing in a relatively small room.

The law in OH, where this is being done, the law permits each party and candidate to appoint someone, called a "challenger," to sit in the polls and challenge a voters ability to vote, on specific grounds.  This is done to prevent fraud.  Further a voter, who happens to be in the polls, can also challenge the voter, on specific grounds.

What you suggest, aside from not being in compliance with state law, deprives voters, and candidates of their rights under statute.  It further promotes voter fraud.

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2004, 12:49:33 PM »

So, opebo, in Columbus- where many more people are registered to vote than actually live there- you believe the GOP should allow the Democrats 30,000+ illegal/bogus votes? Are you that stupid?

Honestly, this type of Democrat propaganda normally works on people without High School degrees, not people that consider themselves even moderately intelligent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2004, 01:45:11 PM »

So, opebo, in Columbus- where many more people are registered to vote than actually live there- you believe the GOP should allow the Democrats 30,000+ illegal/bogus votes?

There is no way for you to know how many people actually live in Columbus.  The Census is notoriously inaccurate, and is, after all, around four years old.  People move, things change.  I'm sure those new voters are almost all real.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2004, 01:48:51 PM »

Um, actually, you would be wrong.

Officials have a pretty good idea of how many people live in Columbus (or anywhere), because of a) taxes (federal and state) and b) housing. Housing is tracked by the government (real estate being in the public domain).

So, MAYBE it is the case that only EVERY SINGLE PERSON 18 OR OLDER IN COLUMBUS IS REGISTERED instead of 30,000 more--- BUT EVEN THEN IT WOULD BE FRAUD!!!!

If anyone is SO STUPID to think that every single person in a poor city is registered to vote... every single one, then they themselves are too dumb to vote. Too dumb to do much of anything.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2004, 01:50:14 PM »

So, opebo, in Columbus- where many more people are registered to vote than actually live there- you believe the GOP should allow the Democrats 30,000+ illegal/bogus votes?

There is no way for you to know how many people actually live in Columbus.  The Census is notoriously inaccurate, and is, after all, around four years old.  People move, things change.  I'm sure those new voters are almost all real.

So opebo, you favor only Democrat voter fraud?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies