What is the stupidest book you have ever read? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:51:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  What is the stupidest book you have ever read? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the stupidest book you have ever read?  (Read 19673 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: February 10, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »

I was thinking alot the literature I have read which has utterly frustrated me I would be interested in hearing yours (cue lots of "Finnegan's Wake" type posts followed by "My pet goat" type posts)... I'm really more interested in non-fiction really.

Anyway two come to my mind which were so mind-booglingly stupid that they still annoy me to this day:

How the Irish Saved Civilization - Thomas Cahill
The Blank Slate - Steve Pinker

What I have read of it The Rebel Sell (can't remember the authors) would also be pretty close.

This reminds me that if burnt all the pop-psychology/pop-history/pop-sociology available then the world would be a better place.

Come on people, name and shame.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »

Oh how could I forget.... The Seven Basic Plots - Christopher Booker. Basically an incoherent 700 page conservative (in all senses) piece on storytelling which leads into a bizarre personal rant against Proust (seriously) and how modern culture is poisonous and against the principles of good storytelling and humans are losing touch with 'nature' (which happened after the French Revolution, apparently) thus we are all going to hell in a handcart, blah, blah, blah..
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2010, 01:27:03 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

The title is certainly a good indication that it's probably pretty stupid. You must now provide details of the idiocy of the books mentioned in first post.

Yes I knew I was forgetting to do something...

How The Irish Saved Civilization: Written by a Jesuit 'historian' (he has a bibliography... practically all his sources are by Jesuits...) about how Irish Christianity helped keep alive the Classical tradition in the period laymen still refer to as the 'dark ages'. The thesis is historically dubious in itself (though admittely isn't totally without merit), indeed it repeats practically all the long debunked myths about Irish history in that period (which is basicallly all Irish history in that period). But hum-ho, what makes it really stupid is his bizarre tendency to use events from the 5th Century to underline moral points about today. The logic goes... The Huns were migrants to Western Europe, they destroyed 'Roman Civilization' therefore illegal immigration is bad (Were the Huns illegal?). While this is a common trick of pop history, it doesn't mean it isn't offensive and moronic rubbish especially considering that this is actually a big selling book which is where alot of people learn about early Irish history. I'm surprised by the amount of people who have read it.

The Blank Slate: I've mentioned this one before. It is a written by an 'evolutionary psychologist' professor of linguistics at Harvard(? A major university in the US anyway... where do they hire these guys). Basically what Pinker does is attack, without doing any basic research beyond it seems barmat quotations of 'big thinkers', every single intellectual movement in the 20th Century (including some he plainly makes up) that doesn't agree with him... as they 'deny' 'human nature'. Human Nature seem to be a uniform, Clinton-era, ah shucks aren't humans just evil? type complacency mixed with the sort of neo-"darwinist" bollocks you occasionally find in business books about how entrepreneur's are trying to improve their evolutionary fitness and genes. Basically telling people what they want to hear but with new added 'science'. Because science explains everything, even if it isn't very scientific but hey that's the 'science'. It is the bizarrest example of anti-intellectualism I've ever read. The book sold millions of copies and Pinker has one of "the biggest brains on the planet" according to The Sunday Times Brian Appelyard.

Oh yeah Samuel Huntingdon's book on the clash of civilizations was pretty bloody dumb.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »

...according to The Sunday Times Brian Appelyard.

As a recommendation for 'idiocy' I think that that would have done on its own...

This is of course true.

Anyone else? Try to avoid anything obvious (like The Da Vinci Code or The Secret).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:14:48 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ummm... This is wrong?

The rest though... but hey books on business by businessmen for businessmen are always way down on the book food chain...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:31:06 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ummm... This is wrong?

Yes. A much higher proportion of women than men chose to stay at home and a much higher proportion of women than men chose to work in part-time jobs; you could argue that the cultural factors responsible for this are examples of discrimination, but only with great difficulty and certain unfortunate implications.

Yeah of course. It is just that that statement is one of those statements which may be true but would be impossible to find out by any sort of realistic method. I would not rule it out though and I would not consider it a sign of "stupidity".
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »

*ahem*

Return of the Native, by Thomas Hardy.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies