Midwest Proposition Thread V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:57:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest Proposition Thread V
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Midwest Proposition Thread V  (Read 903 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:57:24 PM »
« edited: March 09, 2010, 09:14:06 PM by OFKA Governor Vepres »

The GM has reported a weakening system collapsing on its own weight. Therefore, I propose this:

Midwest Law Enforcement Reform

1. An additional 7500 law enforcement shall be hired, and the equipment necessary for them to function effectively shall be purchased.
2. All police stations shall conduct, once a year, a set of training exercises and courses that prepare the officers to respond to and follow-up on violent crimes.
3. Banks that upgrade outdated security systems shall have half the cost of said upgrades subsidized by the Midwestern government.
4. To pay for this, the regional flat income tax shall be raised from 6% to 6.2%.

Vepres

Unfortunately I was just a day too late for this week, therefore it will be voted upon next week.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »

bump

Could the GM give an analysis of this please Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:23:44 PM »

I know I'm not even a Midwesterner, but FWIW I have a HUGE problem with raising taxes to subsidize updating the security systems of banks. They're private entities and I sez that's part of the cost of doing business.

Otherwise looks great!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:52 AM »

I know I'm not even a Midwesterner, but FWIW I have a HUGE problem with raising taxes to subsidize updating the security systems of banks. They're private entities and I sez that's part of the cost of doing business.

Otherwise looks great!

I doubt that will cost very much, but I will amend it.

Midwest Law Enforcement Reform

1. An additional 7500 law enforcement shall be hired, and the equipment necessary for them to function effectively shall be purchased.
2. All police stations shall conduct, once a year, a set of training exercises and courses that prepare the officers to respond to and follow-up on violent crimes.
3. The Midwest government will recommend, but not require, that banks update their security systems should they be out of date.
4. To pay for this, the regional flat income tax shall be raised from 6% to 6.2%.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:23:06 PM »

Yo.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2010, 08:31:40 PM by OFKA Governor Vepres »

Because That's Just Cruel

The intentional killing of wolves for any reason in the Midwest shall be illegal. Violating this law will result in up to six months in jail and/or a $50,000 fine.

Because That's Just Cruel II

The hunting practice known as "penning" shall be illegal in the region.

Definition: Penning shall be defined as taking any animal and putting it into an enclosed area for the purpose of being killed for sporting purposes. Violating this law shall result in a fine of up to $250,000.

Because That's Just Cruel III

Killing animals for food shall be done humanely, as in, causing as little pain and suffering to the animal as is possible. Animals being raised for the purposes of creating human sustenance shall be treated humanely. Humane shall be up to the discretion of law enforcement officials and the judiciary. Violating this law shall result in a fine of up to $250,000 for an individual, and $2,500,000 for a corporation or organization for each offense.

Vepres
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »

Midwest Regional Legislature Act

Article I: Regional Legislative Authority
1. The legislative power of the Midwest shall be vested in the Midwest Regional Legislature.
2. The Regional Legislature shall be composed of four members, each of whom shall be registered citizens residing in the Midwest Region.
3. The Regional Legislature shall have the power to choose its own officers, including a Speaker, and judge the qualifications of its members.
4. Elections to the Regional Legislature shall take place on the second to last weekend of January, March, May, July, September, and November.
5. The method of election shall be approval voting.
6. In the event that more candidates are elected than there are seats to be filled, a runoff election shall be held the following weekend between all elected candidates with the fewest preferences.
7. In the runoff election, voters will only be allowed to preference one candidate.
8. If after the runoff election there is still more elected candidates than there are seats to be filled, then from among those elected candidates who are tied for the fewest preferences the winner(s) shall be determined by a game of chance agreed upon by all those candidates affected.
9. Vacancies in the Regional Legislature shall be filled in a manner specified by Law, and until such determination is made, by Gubernatorial appointment.

Article II: Legislation
1. All ordinary legislation shall first be considered in the Regional Legislature.
2. Legislation shall be considered by the Regional Legislature upon petition of any Regional Legislature member, the Governor, or two Midwest citizens.
3. Should the Regional Legislature pass ordinary legislation by a majority vote, then the Governor may sign such legislation into Law, or veto such legislation. A veto may be overturned upon the unanimous vote of the Regional Legislature.
4. The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Regional Legislature. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law.
5. Should the Regional Legislature pass legislation that subsequently enters law, whether sign by the governor or via a veto override, and a group of 3 or more citizens publicly protest the measure in either the Midwest Regional Legislature or a separate thread, a public referendum shall be held on that legislation.

Whoo!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 12:05:53 AM »

The intentional killing of wolves for any reason in the Midwest shall be illegal. Violating this law will result in up to six months in jail and/or a $50,000 fine.

Self defense, killing a problem wolf or culling the population to prevent starvatation are all great reasons to kill wolves. Without those put in the bill is idiotic.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 12:54:06 AM »

Self defense, killing a problem wolf or culling the population to prevent starvatation are all great reasons to kill wolves. Without those put in the bill is idiotic.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with MJ.
This portion of the so-called "Because That's Just Cruel" law is just cruel.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 02:46:37 AM »

1. The legislative power of the Midwest shall be vested in the Midwest Regional Legislature.
2. The Regional Legislature shall be composed of four members, each of whom shall be registered citizens residing in the Midwest Region.
3. The Regional Legislature shall have the power to choose its own officers, including a Speaker, and judge the qualifications of its members.
4. Elections to the Regional Legislature shall take place on the second to last weekend of January, March, May, July, September, and November.
6. In the event that more candidates are elected than there are seats to be filled, a runoff election shall be held the following weekend between all elected candidates with the fewest preferences.
7. In the runoff election, voters will only be allowed to preference one candidate.
8. If after the runoff election there is still more elected candidates than there are seats to be filled, then from among those elected candidates who are tied for the fewest preferences the winner(s) shall be determined by a game of chance agreed upon by all those candidates affected.
9. Vacancies in the Regional Legislature shall be filled in a manner specified by Law, and until such determination is made, by Gubernatorial appointment.

1. All ordinary legislation shall first be considered in the Regional Legislature.
2. Legislation shall be considered by the Regional Legislature upon petition of any Regional Legislature member, the Governor, or two Midwest citizens.
3. Should the Regional Legislature pass ordinary legislation by a majority vote, then the Governor may sign such legislation into Law, or veto such legislation. A veto may be overturned upon the unanimous vote of the Regional Legislature.
4. The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Regional Legislature. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law.
5. Should the Regional Legislature pass legislation that subsequently enters law, whether sign by the governor or via a veto override, and a group of 3 or more citizens publicly protest the measure in either the Midwest Regional Legislature or a separate thread, a public referendum shall be held on that legislation.

Sweet. I suggest that you guys come up with a different name though, so that each region has a unique name for its regional body (the Mideast has the Assembly, the Northeast has the House of Representatives, & the Southeast has the Legislature).
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »

I edited in an amendment to the first proposition.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »

2. The Regional Legislature shall be composed of three members, each of whom shall be registered citizens residing in the Midwest Region.

I changed the number of assemblymen to three. This will be on the ballot this Friday,

Vepres
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »

Opposed. We ought all to remain legislators.

The intentional killing of wolves for any reason in the Midwest shall be illegal. Violating this law will result in up to six months in jail and/or a $50,000 fine. Killing in self defense or the defense of another   shall not violate this law.
Wolves do not attack people. Strike the dumbass edit if you don't want to be laughed at.

Now, wolves are not actually an almost eradicated species across much of the Midwest I suppose, and thus the situation is very different from the situation in Germany. (Here, I do not think the legal distinction between the murder of a man and the murder of a wolf is justified.)
Maybe put something in to the effect that the purpose of the law is to facilitate the spread of wolves to areas they were formerly extinct in, and that it does not apply in areas where there always has been a healthy wolf population?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

x Lewis Trondheim

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well intentioned, but not likely to have any effect in practice. And I'm not sufficiently versed to write legislation that would.
Transportation though. ie, vehicular transportation of live mammals to slaughter. We might require a strict maximum distance here. Actually I suppose "nearest slaughterhouse + x%" sounds about right.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »

Hear, hear!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies