Opinion of Trickle-Down Economics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:04:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Trickle-Down Economics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Go.
Good idea

Bad idea

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Opinion of Trickle-Down Economics  (Read 4826 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:17 AM »

I don't really need to comment, except to note that the american electorate always keeps voting for this!

No they don't.

yes they do!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

But then again once put into effect, the suburban Northeast turned from GOP to Dem.  The GOP primarily won so handily pre-Reagan solely on taxes.

I agree with you, and I think that the GOP's embrace of trickle-down economics was definitely a factor. Many Republicans from the Northeast opposed trickle-down economics before Reagan, but then once they all started to support it, many Democrats began winning their seats over the next 30 years.

Well, pre-Reagan their taxes were still high, but now the Democrats seem to not want to hit those voters at all.  Another factor is traditional white collar, college educated professions were generally immune to downturns at one time.  Not anymore and even economically Northeastern suburban voters have moved left.  I've said it before, you'd be more likely to find an urban white police officer in the GOP than an "office park" dad.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 05:32:40 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2010, 07:04:05 PM by Anthony »

Trickle-Down Economics aka Supply-Side Economics aka Reaganomics aka Voodoo economics is the worst thing that has ever happened to this country. A main part of trickle-down economics is tax cuts for the rich, which is something I am strongly against. Also, another main part is deregulation, which is primarily what led to the Great Recession.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »

Trickle-Down Economics aka Supply-Side Economics aka Reaganomics aka Voodoo economics is the worst thing that has ever happened to this country. A main part of trickle-down economics is tax cuts for the rich, which is something I am strongly against. Also, another main part is deregulation, which is primarily what led to the Great Recession.

Deregulation had nothing to do with the recession. Government intervention in the economy caused it.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 08:55:47 PM »

Deregulation had nothing to do with the recession. Government intervention in the economy caused it.

If you don't believe me, you can read more about how your anti-regulation ideology led to this recession in this articles:

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article8210.html
http://www.twnside.org.sg/title2/finance/2009/twninfofinance20090305.htm
http://www.swifteconomics.com/2009/05/25/is-deregulation-to-blame-well-kinda/

In fact, the only people who seem to still believe deregulation is good are people who are either uneducated, people who are partisan hacks who refuse to admit that their policies don't work, or people who are both. Perhaps you can give me some actual sources and evidence that it was government intervention that caused this recession.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »

If you don't believe me, you can read more about how your anti-regulation ideology led to this recession in this articles:

In fact, the only people who seem to still believe deregulation is good are people who are either uneducated, people who are partisan hacks who refuse to admit that their policies don't work, or people who are both. Perhaps you can give me some actual sources and evidence that it was government intervention that caused this recession.

No, I'm not going to read more lies and BS from you or from anyone else.

Try reading something that's actually accurate for a change.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 10:08:13 PM »

If you aren't going to read anything that might prove that you're wrong, and only believe sources that suggest everything you say and believe is correct, then you are simply too immature and irrational to be taken seriously. How do you know what I posted is accurate if you don't even read it?

Unlike you, I actually read the sources you provided. The article you posted is mostly filled with partisan ideas and theory that have already been tried multiple times in the past, and have been discredited, and are not based on reality.

Anyways, perhaps I should stop talking to you before I make you even more angry then you are already.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »

If you aren't going to read anything that might prove that you're wrong, and only believe sources that suggest everything you say and believe is correct, then you are simply too immature and irrational to be taken seriously. How do you know what I posted is accurate if you don't even read it?

Unlike you, I actually read the sources you provided. The article you posted is mostly filled with partisan ideas and theory that have already been tried multiple times in the past, and have been discredited, and are not based on reality.

Anyways, perhaps I should stop talking to you before I make you even more angry then you are already.

Lol, so you surrender. That wasn't too difficult.

"Partisan ideas and theory that have already been tried multiple times in the past"? Haha.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »

Trickle-down isn't economics, so it's a paradox.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »

Deregulation and the govt. are both to blame. Deregulation is to blame for allowing banks to become massive larger and more volitaile (and thus have much more influence on the overall economy) and undertake risky activities that could ruin them and bring down the whole economy with them. It is due to deregulation that the Great Recession was as severe as it was, since if the banks were not allowed to get so large and undertake risky commercial activities related to the housing boom, they would not have failed and the whole economy certainly wouldn't have been taken down with them. However, the govt. is to blame because the Fed (with Bush's and Congress's approval) lowered interest rates too much and kept interest rates too low for too long, thus allowing a housing bubble to be created in the first place.
Anthony
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »

Lol, so you surrender. That wasn't too difficult.

"Partisan ideas and theory that have already been tried multiple times in the past"? Haha.

No, I didn't surrender. I've already provided evidence that proves what I believe is accurate. Like I posted earlier, you're just too immature and too irrational to even read it. The people who are reading this thread can check the sources I provided, and check for themselves. Until you respond to what I posted, then maybe we should assume that what I posted is accurate, and the source you posted in partisan. After all, the article you posted is in fact from an institute that promotes libertarian ideology, without showing any other points of view. Therefore, it is in fact, partisan. LOL

Trickle-down isn't economics, so it's a paradox.

Well, at least I'm not the only person here who actually knows the truth.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is actually probably the most intelligent post I've seen on this thread. Of course the government bares some blame as well for this recession. However, it was not the kind of government intervention that Libertas suggested was the cause of the recession.
milhouse24
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 10:42:24 PM »

A good idea that was never carried far enough.  While I consider the Libertarians to be close allies of mine when it comes to dismantling government, I do support major tax breaks for both the wealthy and for business.  When we take care of those who employ the rest of us, they in turn, take care of us.  Also, then tend to use the money awarded them via tax cuts or business grants/abatements, etc. to create new wealth.

The liberal model, though honorably intentioned, is to let wealth trickle up.  The Robin Hood approach has never worked and it never will.  Just look at how the New Deal prolonged the recession and accomplished nothing positive.  Ever since that gigantic fiasco, indolent Americans have become addicted to handouts.

I'm not a fan of deregulation.  Also, I don't mind tax breaks and grants, but perhaps we can regulate those companies because as we've seen companies use fraud to dupe consumers, pollute, and produce inferior products.  Only the govt can step in and stop corrupt companies from further damage, or we can sue them but takes years.  Trust-busting!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »

I support the idea that government returning the people's money back to their own pockets is a good thing.

I think that the label "Trickle-down economics" should instead be used to refer to the concept of massive government spending eventually trickling down to help the overall economy.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 01:16:04 AM »

I support the idea that government returning the people's money back to their own pockets is a good thing.

It depends on whose money and how much of their money is returned to them.
milhouse24
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »

I think that the label "Trickle-down economics" should instead be used to refer to the concept of massive government spending eventually trickling down to help the overall economy.

So would you support stimulus checks or just tax cuts?  Isn't welfare just putting money back in people's pockets to stimulate the economy?  I don't want to sound lazy, but would working 90 hours a week for more money actually make me happier?  Can I survive on just 40 hours a week at a 40k job?  How exactly does someone make 100k, just get a bachelor's degree?
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »

A principal that would make america and americans VERY prosperous if it could be allowed to work with out interferance.  The problem with it is the democRAT party would derail it every chance they get and any legislation to make trickle down or supply side work would be bogged down by liberals who would tack on all kind of pork.

This is not some idea supported by a bunch of nuts people.  It is backed by leading economists and people like Reagan and kemp.  why not give it a chance?
milhouse24
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 02:16:38 PM »

A principal that would make america and americans VERY prosperous if it could be allowed to work with out interferance.  The problem with it is the democRAT party would derail it every chance they get and any legislation to make trickle down or supply side work would be bogged down by liberals who would tack on all kind of pork.

This is not some idea supported by a bunch of nuts people.  It is backed by leading economists and people like Reagan and kemp.  why not give it a chance?

Could you be more specific?  Do you want tax cuts for the middle class, or the upperclass?  Do you want tax cuts and grants for corporations and businesses?  The past 8 Bush years were pretty good for corporations, did you agree with those policies?  Do you think Middle Class workers have any chance at all to rise up?
KeeptheChange
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »

A principal that would make america and americans VERY prosperous if it could be allowed to work with out interferance.  The problem with it is the democRAT party would derail it every chance they get and any legislation to make trickle down or supply side work would be bogged down by liberals who would tack on all kind of pork.

This is not some idea supported by a bunch of nuts people.  It is backed by leading economists and people like Reagan and kemp.  why not give it a chance?

Could you be more specific?  Do you want tax cuts for the middle class, or the upperclass?  Do you want tax cuts and grants for corporations and businesses?  The past 8 Bush years were pretty good for corporations, did you agree with those policies?  Do you think Middle Class workers have any chance at all to rise up?

I can't speak for Coburn, but I would like to respond if that's okay.  Wink

Taxation is theft.  For the purpose of practicality and national defense, I am willing to accept an across the board, one percent tax on sales or income, or both if someone can persuade me it's really necessary.  This business of taxing the most productive, beneficial members of a society while rewarding leeches and indolent no-accounts is exactly what will eventually turn this country into another Somalia or Haiti. Hannity said it best the other day, "We should reward success and punish failure. Instead, our culture coddles, enables and excuses failure while punishing success."

I have already published on this forum a list of program and entitlement cuts that would make such a tax cut possible, so I see no need to repeat it here unless specifically asked.

Guderian

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »

It's a great idea. Like Milton Friedman said "Cut their allowances!" and "Starve the beast". But then they just print or borrow money and continue spending, spending, spending, spending... And then they blame the tax cuts for deficits and debt.
milhouse24
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »

Could you be more specific?  Do you want tax cuts for the middle class, or the upperclass?  Do you want tax cuts and grants for corporations and businesses?  The past 8 Bush years were pretty good for corporations, did you agree with those policies?  Do you think Middle Class workers have any chance at all to rise up?

I can't speak for Coburn, but I would like to respond if that's okay.  Wink

Taxation is theft.  For the purpose of practicality and national defense, I am willing to accept an across the board, one percent tax on sales or income, or both if someone can persuade me it's really necessary.  This business of taxing the most productive, beneficial members of a society while rewarding leeches and indolent no-accounts is exactly what will eventually turn this country into another Somalia or Haiti. Hannity said it best the other day, "We should reward success and punish failure. Instead, our culture coddles, enables and excuses failure while punishing success."

I have already published on this forum a list of program and entitlement cuts that would make such a tax cut possible, so I see no need to repeat it here unless specifically asked.
What do you mean by "most productive" members of society - I suppose this excludes the middle class, should they deserve a tax cut since they are just pawns?  What is your definition of leeches and how exactly are they rewarded?  Should the lower class be taxed more?  Or would an increased sales tax be implemented?

I'm sure many Wall Street bankers thought they lived successful lives and didn't want to be taxed.  Yet, there actions were detrimental to the economy.  Is it really taxes preventing someone from being successful, or is it something else like wages, and student loans?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies