Why didn't John Kerry get a post-convention bounce?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:33:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why didn't John Kerry get a post-convention bounce?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Why didn't John Kerry get a post-convention bounce?  (Read 22387 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2010, 11:38:58 PM »

Its illegal to invade a soverign nation by the laws of war, and yes the housing meltdown started because of Clinton policies and this recession started when Bush was in office. And as far as sources go you never have any because most of your stuff is made up, but thats ok dude because I have figured out you say this stuff to try to make people mad, lol because no one  could ever  actually believe some of this ridiculous stuff that you write.

The recession started in March of 2000 just look at the DJ numbers. This link states the unemployment rate in March of 2004 was 5.6% and in November of 1996 it was 5.4%. The unemployment rate continued to fall throughout 2004. Also, by the night of the election, we were at 19 months of economic growth. I don't know why you just keep saying over and over again that things were terrible under Bush and great under Clinton because that is far from true. http://old.nationalreview.com/comment/moran200403040834.asp
cpeeks
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »

I am talking about the recession that started in 2008. And wow dude yes life was good under Clinton and horrible under Bush. Worse president ever by far.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2010, 11:50:55 PM »

I am talking about the recession that started in 2008. And wow dude yes life was good under Clinton and horrible under Bush. Worse president ever by far.

You don't find it funny that we had 56 months of economic growth under Bush Jr. and not even 10 months after the democrats won back both houses, the economy was in shambles? You don't blame Chris Dodd and Barack Obama for accepting sweet heart deals on their loans at the expense of us common folks? You don't blame the greed of the American people who were flipping houses and causing inflation in exchange for a profit? I don't blame the president for the way things are either. It's all what you make of it.
cpeeks
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2010, 11:54:51 PM »

Lol um no the economy did not go into shamble because the democrats were in office ten months. I have heard economist say that the economy is 2 years behind whats actually going on. And no the loans that Dodd and Obama did not cause the economic failure. And the president is the captain of the ship.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2010, 11:57:42 PM »

Lol um no the economy did not go into shamble because the democrats were in office ten months. I have heard economist say that the economy is 2 years behind whats actually going on. And no the loans that Dodd and Obama did not cause the economic failure. And the president is the captain of the ship.

2 years behind what's going on and some say 4 years and some say 8 years. If the recession in 2000 was 2 years behind then you are telling me that it goes back to 1998 when Clinton was in the middle of his second term? No it wasn't only the 2 of them, Barney Frank and fat cats from wall street were getting those deals too. It was going on for years. I left you a link to the unemployment rate in September of 2004.

http://economics.about.com/od/unemployment/a/metro04septMetr.htm
cpeeks
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2010, 12:43:36 AM »

I believe 2 would be more accurate, and it probably started happening in early 1999. And there are other factors that play into the economy besides unemployment. Like consumer confidence, consumer spending and inflation
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »

You don't find it funny that we had 56 months of economic growth under Bush Jr. and not even 10 months after the democrats won back both houses, the economy was in shambles? You don't blame Chris Dodd and Barack Obama for accepting sweet heart deals on their loans at the expense of us common folks? You don't blame the greed of the American people who were flipping houses and causing inflation in exchange for a profit? I don't blame the president for the way things are either. It's all what you make of it.

I mostly blame Bush Jr. and Greenspan for the current recession (and financial crisis) since Greenspan (with Bush Jr.'s support) kept interest rates too low for too long and thus blew a housing bubble. Also, I blame the Republicans in the late 1990s who proposed to repeal the Glass-Steagall Act and to deregulate derivatives.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »

I mostly blame Bush Jr. and Greenspan for the current recession (and financial crisis) since Greenspan (with Bush Jr.'s support) kept interest rates too low for too long and thus blew a housing bubble. Also, I blame the Republicans in the late 1990s who proposed to repeal the Glass-Steagall Act and to deregulate derivatives.

The recession, or the housing market meltdown? The latter was caused by low interest rates but more than anything the buy/sell buy/sell mentality that drove us since the 90's which goes back to 1996. When the economy is good, the next downturn is the end result so really it's all a state of mind. The economy has always been what it is. It's us who make it go up and down.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »

The recession, or the housing market meltdown? The latter was caused by low interest rates but more than anything the buy/sell buy/sell mentality that drove us since the 90's which goes back to 1996. When the economy is good, the next downturn is the end result so really it's all a state of mind. The economy has always been what it is. It's us who make it go up and down.

The low interest rates were started by the GOP Fed Chairman, Alan Greenspan, in 2001 with Bush Jr.'s support. That's what caused the housing bubble. Greenspan could have made interest rates much higher and also could have begun raising them much sooner. Bush could have always told Greenspan that he believes that the Fed is pursuing the wrong economic policy.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »

The low interest rates were started by the GOP Fed Chairman, Alan Greenspan, in 2001 with Bush Jr.'s support. That's what caused the housing bubble. Greenspan could have made interest rates much higher and also could have begun raising them much sooner. Bush could have always told Greenspan that he believes that the Fed is pursuing the wrong economic policy.

You could've written a letter too. I mean it's your first amendment right isn't it? I love it when democrats try to blame the GOP for every bad thing about their lives.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »

You could've written a letter too. I mean it's your first amendment right isn't it? I love it when democrats try to blame the GOP for every bad thing about their lives.

I was a minor before this year. I'm not sure the Federal Govt. reads letters from minors.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

I was a minor before this year. I'm not sure the Federal Govt. reads letters from minors.

I believe that and I'd believe you're still a minor because of how you miss the point. The point is anyone can write a letter to the government. Anyone could have told Greenspan that. The economy is what it is and any good or bad cycle evens out.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »

I believe that and I'd believe you're still a minor because of how you miss the point. The point is anyone can write a letter to the government. Anyone could have told Greenspan that. The economy is what it is and any good or bad cycle evens out.

I'm not a minor. And I seriously doubt Greenspan and most politicans actually care about what people write to them about.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »

I'm not a minor. And I seriously doubt Greenspan and most politicans actually care about what people write to them about.

I wouldn't either if I was hired by the president to do a job. It's not like I'd be going anywhere. That's why you're supposed to write to your congressmen. They don't teach that in public schools anymore.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »

I wouldn't either if I was hired by the president to do a job. It's not like I'd be going anywhere. That's why you're supposed to write to your congressmen. They don't teach that in public schools anymore.

What's the point of writing to politicians if they don't care what you write to them about? And also, I seriously doubt Greenspan would have bothered reading a letter from a 10-year old kid.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »

So why don't you think Kerry got a post convention bounce? I think it's because he was a weak candidate.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2010, 10:18:58 PM »

So why don't you think Kerry got a post convention bounce? I think it's because he was a weak candidate.

I think it had more to do with Bush's scare tactics and with many people deciding early that year. I mean, Gore and Dukakis got convention bounces even though they were also bad candidates.
cpeeks
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2010, 10:20:28 PM »

Yes but 2004 was a very polarizing year, there were not many undecideds that year.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »

I think it had more to do with Bush's scare tactics and with many people deciding early that year. I mean, Gore and Dukakis got convention bounces even though they were also bad candidates.

Oh right like people weren't smart enough to vote for the best candidate so somehow they were tricked into it. Just admit it, Bush kicked your asses. Kerry was a loser and that's why he didn't get a bounce.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2010, 12:23:37 AM »

Oh right like people weren't smart enough to vote for the best candidate so somehow they were tricked into it. Just admit it, Bush kicked your asses. Kerry was a loser and that's why he didn't get a bounce.

I'll admit that Kerry was a bad candidate, but I honestly don't think that was why Kerry didn't get a convention bounce. I think my previously stated reasons were correct. And I'm actually happy that Kerry lost because that allowed Bush and the GOP to get blamed for the financial crisis instead of the Democrats. You Republicans would have been so much better off right now had Kerry won in 2004.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2010, 12:40:51 AM »

I'll admit that Kerry was a bad candidate, but I honestly don't think that was why Kerry didn't get a convention bounce. I think my previously stated reasons were correct. And I'm actually happy that Kerry lost because that allowed Bush and the GOP to get blamed for the financial crisis instead of the Democrats. You Republicans would have been so much better off right now had Kerry won in 2004.

You're happy that people get blamed for something they didn't do? What a great American, at least you're a democrat still. You realize that would be like me saying that I hope people lose jobs and families struggle so that Obama loses in 2012? No we wouldn't have been better off because unlike you, we care about our country first and Kerry would've been stubborn enough to try something of his own in Iraq or Afghanistan and gotten more troops killed or pulled out and had both countries collapse because he'd do so prematurely. At least Obama just continued Bush's policies mostly except for the torture issue. Stop thinking like a partisan and start thinking like an American.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2010, 12:46:18 AM »

You're happy that people get blamed for something they didn't do? What a great American, at least you're a democrat still. You realize that would be like me saying that I hope people lose jobs and families struggle so that Obama loses in 2012? No we wouldn't have been better off because unlike you, we care about our country first and Kerry would've been stubborn enough to try something of his own in Iraq or Afghanistan and gotten more troops killed or pulled out and had both countries collapse because he'd do so prematurely. At least Obama just continued Bush's policies mostly except for the torture issue. Stop thinking like a partisan and start thinking like an American.

Bush did support Greenspan when he blew up that housing bubble, and that caused the financial crisis. Kerry would have just gotten blamed for the timing. I don't know how Kerry would have handled Iraq, but I do think that he would have done a better job of handling Afghanistan. Bush gave Obama a huge mess in Afghanistan because he essentially ignored it for his last six years. And Obama saved our economy from total collapse, gave us universal healthcare, and gave us financial reform, which are things Bush wouldn't have done. And you know that many Republicans actually do want the economy to go bad so that Obama will lose reelection.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2010, 12:55:50 AM »

Bush did support Greenspan when he blew up that housing bubble, and that caused the financial crisis. Kerry would have just gotten blamed for the timing. I don't know how Kerry would have handled Iraq, but I do think that he would have done a better job of handling Afghanistan. Bush gave Obama a huge mess in Afghanistan because he essentially ignored it for his last six years. And Obama saved our economy from total collapse, gave us universal healthcare, and gave us financial reform, which are things Bush wouldn't have done. And you know that many Republicans actually do want the economy to go bad so that Obama will lose reelection.

No giving loans to people from ACORN based on racial fairness that was started under the Clinton administration was what caused the financial crisis. There were no back room fat cat deals like you and your party want America to believe. It was the fairness requirements combined with politicians like Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, and Barack Obama getting sweet heart deals from the corporate fat cats in exchange for favorable treatment from the government. What do you think of Fannie and Freddie being exempt from this new financial reform legislation? Are you suddenly supporting all that now?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »

No giving loans to people from ACORN based on racial fairness that was started under the Clinton administration was what caused the financial crisis. There were no back room fat cat deals like you and your party want America to believe. It was the fairness requirements combined with politicians like Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, and Barack Obama getting sweet heart deals from the corporate fat cats in exchange for favorable treatment from the government. What do you think of Fannie and Freddie being exempt from this new financial reform legislation? Are you suddenly supporting all that now?

Giving loans to poor people who couldn't afford it helped cause the housing bubble itself, but the financial crisis was caused by the financial deregulation that the Republicans proposed. Without that financial deregulation, the housing recession would have probably been much less severe and there would have been no financial crisis. That financial deregulation allowed commercial and investment banks to combine together, and that allowed those banks to become "too big to fail" (during the housing bubble) and to drag down the whole U.S. economy with them once they indeed failed after the housing bubble burst. And I know that the current financial reform that the Democrats passed isn't the best bill they could have written.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »

Giving loans to poor people who couldn't afford it helped cause the housing bubble itself, but the financial crisis was caused by the financial deregulation that the Republicans proposed. Without that financial deregulation, the housing recession would have probably been much less severe and there would have been no financial crisis. That financial deregulation allowed commercial and investment banks to combine together, and that allowed those banks to become "too big to fail" (during the housing bubble) and to drag down the whole U.S. economy with them once they indeed failed after the housing bubble burst. And I know that the current financial reform that the Democrats passed isn't the best bill they could have written.

Well I hope you're happy that poor people caused the housing bubble which caused alot of families to go hungry who weren't already poor. Regulations have done nothing but kill jobs in terms of economics because the government is run by those who FLUNK OUT OF THE PRIVATE SECTOR and can't do anything else for a living. Why would you think for half a second that the politicians who want to regulate know what they are talking about? What about those banks merging caused the housing burst? WHAT ABOUT THEM MERGING CAUSED THE COLLAPSE? Not the best? That's because the democrats in congress are a bunch of people who either couldn't get a job in the private sector like Obama, have so much money that they don't want others on their level like John Kerry, or want our economy to fail so government can run our lives like Pelosi.

It's very simple, members of ACORN took out loans that they had no intention of paying back. Middle class America defeated themselves with the old buy/sell technique that is caused by greed and eventually it got to a point where homes couldn't appreciate in value anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies