Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:26:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Should we be executing more people?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Should we (the U.S.) increase the number executions?  (Read 9080 times)
true liberty
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2010, 02:31:53 AM »

the death penalty should be illegal. the state should not be allowed to determine who gets to live or die.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2010, 02:53:31 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2010, 03:01:56 AM by PiT (The Physicist) »

the death penalty should be illegal. the state should not be allowed to determine who gets to live or die.

Indeed. What is the state other than an assembly of private citizens, after all? I doubt anyone would support the notion that a mob should have hegemonic rights over the continued life of any & all of the other people living in the lands it claims as its own
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2010, 02:55:57 AM »

Indeed. What is the state other than an assembly of private citizens, after all?

a conglomerate of our most corrupt and power hungry, tied in with the wealthiest of elites, with a monopoly on power and no desire to follow the so-called "supreme law of the land."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2010, 03:00:40 AM »

Indeed. What is the state other than an assembly of private citizens, after all?

a conglomerate of our most corrupt and power hungry, tied in with the wealthiest of elites, with a monopoly on power and no desire to follow the so-called "supreme law of the land."

Well that's the station it has assumed, but if you think about it the state is really just a group of people who have assumed authority, which we accept for a variety of reasons.
CJK
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »

We have juries.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2010, 02:47:16 AM »

CJK, Office Park....good ownage! 

(And yes...I'd support dramatically increasing the use of the death penalty and making it a lot quicker.  Lethal injection is too expensive.  Wouldn't a simple bullet to the back of the head be cheaper and actually a lot quicker?)

And what happens if you accidentally get the wrong guy?

That's a red-herring in my view, spc, because you can get the wrong guy and stick him in jail for 50 years.  I have heard more stories of guys being locked up nearly forever in error than I ever have of innocent people being executed.  Does it happen, it's inevitable and horrible, sure.  The death penalty system is not as effective as it could be in the deterence area if it weren't for the layers and layers of appeals to make sure they don't execute an innocent person.

But to say we might get the wrong guy should not be a part of the argument, in my view.

I would personally prefer a restitution-based system over either life imprisonment or capital punishment. What good does it do to put what could be up to 50 years of labor to waste when it could be used to pay off the family of the victim? And if it is later demonstrated that the person is innocent, they can have their money returned to them.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »

(And yes...I'd support dramatically increasing the use of the death penalty and making it a lot quicker.  Lethal injection is too expensive.  Wouldn't a simple bullet to the back of the head be cheaper and actually a lot quicker?)

That's a red-herring in my view, spc, because you can get the wrong guy and stick him in jail for 50 years.  I have heard more stories of guys being locked up nearly forever in error than I ever have of innocent people being executed.  Does it happen, it's inevitable and horrible, sure.  The death penalty system is not as effective as it could be in the deterence area if it weren't for the layers and layers of appeals to make sure they don't execute an innocent person.

But to say we might get the wrong guy should not be a part of the argument, in my view.

I would personally prefer a restitution-based system over either life imprisonment or capital punishment. What good does it do to put what could be up to 50 years of labor to waste when it could be used to pay off the family of the victim? And if it is later demonstrated that the person is innocent, they can have their money returned to them.

Most killers don't have fat bank accounts unfortunately. And if there are in fact OJ, well they get sued civilly.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »

Most killers don't have fat bank accounts unfortunately. And if there are in fact OJ, well they get sued civilly.
I realize that. Thus, the murderer would have to find a legitimate profession to work in, and pay a majority of that to the kin of the victim.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies