Will Latinos Eventually Become A Majority in the U.S.? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:22:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Latinos Eventually Become A Majority in the U.S.? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Will Latinos Eventually Become A Majority in the U.S.?  (Read 11608 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:22 AM »

Also, will Latinos remain in the majority in the long run if they ever become a majority?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »

Maybe in the 2840 census they will become a majority, and they will cease to be in the 3450 census due to heavy Martian immigration.

haha. But I was asking a serious question. Latinos were 13% of the population in 2000, are about 15% now, and are projected to be 30% in 2050. It's possible that they eventually become a majority if there remains enough immigration from Latin America after 2050, which I'm not too sure about as Latin America will probably be much more developed than it is now.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »

"Latinos" will be counted as whites anytime before that happens. 

I know that many Latinos self-identify as white but could you please answer the question in the context I asked it in?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »

As asked, no, not possible.  If you're asking will hispanics ever make up a majority of white folk, well no, that isn't going to happen either.  At least not anytime in the next 100 years.

I'm asking if Latinos will become a majority (as in 50.01% or more) of the U.S. population at anytime in the future.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »

I don't think the question is well-posed. If the question is, would, at some point, most Americans have at least one ancestor coming from Latin America, then the answer is "not impossible". However, most of those "latinos" would have most of their ancestors hailing from other parts of the world. If the quesion is, would there, at some point, be a situation in which most of US citizens self-identify as something called "latinos", the answer is "extraordinarily unlikely".

Immigrants from Latin America assimilate pretty fast and are not an obvious homogenous racial group. The visible subgroup are the recent migrants or else those with particular assimilation difficulties, but they are not really indicative of the long-term dynamics. A third-generation Latino is as much a latino as a third-generation Italian is an Italian and a third-generation Irish is an Irish: all of them are infinitely more American, then anything else. Of course, as long as there some advantages to being identified as a Latino, any Jack Cohen, whose grandmother grew up in Mexico City will make sure to claim that ancestry. Trust me, when it's my daughter's turn to go to grad, school she will definitely claim to be both Latino and Jewish to the appropriate funding sources - even though, to be sure, neither myself nor my wife are really either. So what?

So you're ethnically Jewish, but you're not very religious? I get your point, BTW.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »

This reminds me of this guy I used to work with. He's Hispanic and has a very Hispanic last name (though it's common enough so it's not seen as ethnic anymore.) And he lives in a relatively high (for Minnesota) Hispanic area. But his roommates are all white. And he's from the suburbs. Very middle class as it gets. And I doubt he knows much Spanish. Yet he's still another Hispanic in that area on the census. Kind of amusing.

Does he look Caucasian? Or does he look more like a Native-American?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:27:38 AM »

That's interesting. This one guy I know is half-Cuban, but he looks completely white. His last name suggested he was Greek or Spanish (before I asked him what his ethnicity was). If you're wondering, the other half of his family originally came from Western Europe.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »

If you remember, at the turn of the last century, Italian was considered a subcategory to white.  By now they have been absorbed into the "white" demographic fully.  The same will happen to hispanics of the next century.

Still, one could argue that since many Latinos look like Native Americans (unlike Italians), it will be harder for those Latinos to be considered "white."
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »

If you remember, at the turn of the last century, Italian was considered a subcategory to white.  By now they have been absorbed into the "white" demographic fully.  The same will happen to hispanics of the next century.

Still, one could argue that since many Latinos look like Native Americans (unlike Italians), it will be harder for those Latinos to be considered "white."

Italians and Latinos to me look alike. Smiley

Italians and White Latinos, Yes. But I was talking about Italian and Native American Latinos (based on appearance).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies